Coyote Calls & Hunting

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Coyote Calls & Hunting

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:38 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Won a 17 HMR got rid of it 22 mag beats it hands down as far as I am concerned. The 223 has virtually replaced my 22 mags and as cheap or cheaper to shoot for varmits.
Golden Bear 62 grain HP are rough on hogs.
The B mag is a bad little round.

I shoot Hornady 55gr. Spire points in my .223 excellent round for hunting.

For deer I use Remington Hog Hammer 62 grain HP or Hornady American Whitetail 60 grain spire pt.
The Golden Bear take a hog out right now for 8 bucks a box.
I haven't lost one and don't care if I do different story on the deer.
http://m.hornady.com/store/American-Whitetail-Ammo

I am sold on this Ammo no matter the caliber
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Till-Hill
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Till-Hill » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:18 am

Atimm693 wrote:
Till-Hill wrote:
talltimber wrote:
My son got me a Bmag 17 wsm for Christmas. I'm glad he did, I've been curious about them, but it sure don't shoot like I thought it might. Flimsy stock doesn't do it any favors. I'm thinking I'll at least trim it and bed it, if not get a Boyd's to put it in. 1.5" at 50 yd is not what I would consider acceptable. It's got a cheap scope on it, although I checked the base/rings to make sure they were tight, that could be part of it. Have you shot yours yet? Fill us in on how it shoots. Apparently there are some that shoot better than others.

I have made a few sets for varmints here before, but it's thick in the woods and pastures are not very big. We have a number of coyotes around, but aren't often seen. Usually here them at night though. I haven't called anything in that I saw except for a hoot owl. Still trying though.
I also have a .17 Mossberg. I can't kill anything with ballistic tips. Maybe they die 2 miles away but at 50 yards with hollow points it will drop anything in its tracks. If there is any wind at all and I mean any I can't hit the broad side of a big barn! Another thing I hate is mine is louder than heck.

.17 HMR or a centerfire?

17 WSM is a good bit hotter than HMR. Supposed to be less susceptible to wind drift as well.

Mainly I was looking for something that will reach out to 100yds and not blow out your eardrums like my AR. The terrain here limits most shots to 100 yds or so.
Mine is HMR. It is a tack driver at 50 yards on a calm day I will admit. Too expensive to shoot as others have said. I'm going to trade it in for AR at some point.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:07 pm

Scent control is more important with coyotes than it is with deer. They almost always circle downwind before they commit. We hunt with a decoy dog or two, and if you've never tried it, then you are in for a treat. The dog eases a coyotes mind enough that they will let down their guard against scent and sight long enough for you to feed them a little lead. We've got a couple Blackmouth Cur dogs and a couple of Catahoula dogs. The E calls are great, but their popularity has created more and more educated coyotes. I use a Foxpro Shockwave, but around here, you have to be pretty creative with it. An E call combined with a few mouth calls and a dog is a lethal combination. They are fun to hunt, but if you've got a coyote problem, foot holds and snares are the only way to go. If you really want a rush, try a spot and stalk hunt. I've tried hundreds of times, and was even successful twice!
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:25 am

I had a HMR at one time. It, too, was a very accurate rifle, but so fickle with the wind.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:33 am

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:The E calls are great, but their popularity has created more and more educated coyotes. !

I agree that's one of the biggest problems now.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:30 am

my new yote tool just got here
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:08 am

dun wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:The E calls are great, but their popularity has created more and more educated coyotes. !

Along with the coyote is smarter than your average critter they are the ultimate survivalist
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:52 pm

dieselbeef wrote:Image

my new yote tool just got here

You should be happy with the Tikka. I have heard good things about it. It probably would have been what I would have bought except for they're only available in long action. I didn't want a short action round like the 223 in a long action as I had no plans to rebuild to a long action round later, and didn't have a need for the mag length using a 223. I have heard they are one of the best/smoothest stock actions out there though.
0 x

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:03 pm

it is so smooth just titling the gun one way or the other and the bolt slides back and forth with almost non existent slop in the action..unlike my ruger American I had to shim before I even shot it
0 x
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:13 pm

long short action to me doesn't mean much
0 x
einstein

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:17 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
dun wrote:

Along with the coyote is smarter than your average critter they are the ultimate survivalist

That's no joke. You don't get a second chance on one very often.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Atimm693
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Atimm693 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:13 pm

The Bmag claimed it's first victim this morning. He was running in the field right by the house.. Hardly scared of me.

0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:40 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:Scent control is more important with coyotes than it is with deer. They almost always circle downwind before they commit. We hunt with a decoy dog or two, and if you've never tried it, then you are in for a treat. The dog eases a coyotes mind enough that they will let down their guard against scent and sight long enough for you to feed them a little lead. We've got a couple Blackmouth Cur dogs and a couple of Catahoula dogs. The E calls are great, but their popularity has created more and more educated coyotes. I use a Foxpro Shockwave, but around here, you have to be pretty creative with it. An E call combined with a few mouth calls and a dog is a lethal combination. They are fun to hunt, but if you've got a coyote problem, foot holds and snares are the only way to go. If you really want a rush, try a spot and stalk hunt. I've tried hundreds of times, and was even successful twice!

Can you elaborate on the on the decoy dog? That's interesting.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Postby talltimber » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:03 pm

Congrats Atimm! Don't even have the sticker off of it yet!

Decoy dog won't fly around here. My wife does not share my confidence in my shooting ability-so her puppy stays home, and mine are too big. :lol2:

(I'm talking staked out here, not a sure enough decoy dog)
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:40 pm

I have an electronic yote call.. Not worth squat.. I hear them hollering out there, I give one call, and they all shut up and don't come to look..
It's not like they're all that shy either... I mean there are tracks in the front yard of the house and 10 feet from the shop door
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”