Sweet Sixteen

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Sweet Sixteen

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:17 am

True Grit Farms wrote:They have different events in skeet for a reason. I've never been to a skeet tournament that has an event for 16 ga. The one's I attended have events for 12, 20, 28, and .410. I have a question for you CB, will a good gunner with a 12 ga out shoot a good gunner with a 16 ga every day at a tournament? You and I both know that answer.

Sixteen shoots in the 12 class.
The best gunner will eat up a 12 gauge with a 28 much less a 16.
Again it's about pattern and the man looking down the vent rib not the payload.
I shot competition for too many years with a 16.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:04 pm

A 16 is pretty rare in the north. Its mostly a 12 vs. 20 world. Hard core goose hunters used to tote 10s. A lot of them were traded off on 3.5" 12s...
I did a lot of patterning work in a before cows life. It gave me a great respect for quality components and distance.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:48 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:A 16 is pretty rare in the north. Its mostly a 12 vs. 20 world. Hard core goose hunters used to tote 10s. A lot of them were traded off on 3.5" 12s...
I did a lot of patterning work in a before cows life. It gave me a great respect for quality components and distance.

You got the quality component right and you dam sure not getting it on the promotional loads sold at Wally World.
Other than reloading B&P, Winchester AA or Super X,Fiochi Golden Pheasant or Federal Premium Wing Shok the list is pretty short for over the counter.
Other than reloading there is no way to get around a generic wad.
Tons of difference in performance depending on the wad for the different events.
I think I keep Ballistics Products in business on reloading components
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:25 am

I have a Belgium made sweet sixteen, plus a WW2 STL 20ga. My dad has a 60's 12ga. My grandpa had a Belgian 12ga he picked up at the FN factory itself.

Here's my latest Browning to add to the collection. Citori White Lightning 20 ga 26"

To tell the truth I have only ever shot a 12 ga one time. Shot 3 rounds at some clays, and that was enough to know that the 16 and 20 were better guns. 16 for geese and deer, 20 for everything else.
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:08 am

Caustic Burno wrote:You got the quality component right and you dam sure not getting it on the promotional loads sold at Wally World.
Other than reloading B&P, Winchester AA or Super X,Fiochi Golden Pheasant or Federal Premium Wing Shok the list is pretty short for over the counter.

Used to burn a lot of Fiochi 5s for pheasants.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:55 am

sim.-ang.king wrote:I have a Belgium made sweet sixteen, plus a WW2 STL 20ga. My dad has a 60's 12ga. My grandpa had a Belgian 12ga he picked up at the FN factory itself.

Here's my latest Browning to add to the collection. Citori White Lightning 20 ga 26"

To tell the truth I have only ever shot a 12 ga one time. Shot 3 rounds at some clays, and that was enough to know that the 16 and 20 were better guns. 16 for geese and deer, 20 for everything else.

Nice I bet that Browning is fun I have a Winchester 101 in 20.
Twenty gauge is a good gauge shooting original designed loads.
Problem with Americans they think bigger is better and the bigger the load the better. The shot string is what makes pass shooting so poor by most.
The biggest problem with the 12 gauge is weight reduce the weight then its punishment. It will always be the 800 pound gorilla in the room as most Americans think that have bought bigger and better ballistics along with they can buy cheap crap Ammo at the box stores.
The 28 is sweet Parker introduced it over a hundred years ago. All things being equal in shotgun ballistics no matter the gauge I shoot 16 and 28.
Powder to shot ratio is the same no matter if it is a 410 or a 10 gauge.
It is all about the pattern getting a square load along with a great wad to prevent setback and shot deformation.
0 x

rla442
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rla442 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:14 am

The Sweet Sixteen is one that I haven't got in my collection and have always wanted. I've always been a fan of hunting with the 16ga and double barrels so when I had the money I always bought the double over the semi auto. One of my first guns I ever bought was an old SXS Ithaca 16ga. Killed a ton of game with that double and hooked me on the double barrels for life. I've got a safe full of 16ga's from German Drilling to my Browning Citori Lightning 16ga. The Citori was my favorite on the sporting clays. I'd outshoot my buddy's and their 12 ga any day of the week. It fit so well that I never had to look for the bead and shot it instinctive.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:24 am

One of the best shooters I have is a Baikal SxS 16, Remington marketed it under Spartan for awhile. I bought to be a beat around gun. It's not real pretty
0 x

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:36 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:I have a Belgium made sweet sixteen, plus a WW2 STL 20ga. My dad has a 60's 12ga. My grandpa had a Belgian 12ga he picked up at the FN factory itself.

Nice I bet that Browning is fun I have a Winchester 101 in 20.
Twenty gauge is a good gauge shooting original designed loads.
Problem with Americans they think bigger is better and the bigger the load the better. The shot string is what makes pass shooting so poor by most.
The biggest problem with the 12 gauge is weight reduce the weight then its punishment. It will always be the 800 pound gorilla in the room as most Americans think that have bought bigger and better ballistics along with they can buy cheap crap Ammo at the box stores.
The 28 is sweet Parker introduced it over a hundred years ago. All things being equal in shotgun ballistics no matter the gauge I shoot 16 and 28.
Powder to shot ratio is the same no matter if it is a 410 or a 10 gauge.
It is all about the pattern getting a square load along with a great wad to prevent setback and shot deformation.

Been shooting 8 shot super x on quial and dove. Like the low recoil for making second shots.
Actually wish I would of got that gun with a 24" barrel. Use to shoot with a 22" mossberg, that gun was fast and easy to carry 6 hours a day.
Haven't ever owned a 28ga but sure do like the weight of one.
My next shotgun will probably be a 28ga o/u. Might try to find a used supperpose.
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:51 pm

Dumb question but I don't know so here goes, did anyone ever make a 16ga over under?
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:25 pm

0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:32 pm

Now I understand why I don't have one. That and a Winchester model 21 will just have to be on my wish list,
0 x

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:41 pm

kenny thomas wrote:

Now I understand why I don't have one. That and a Winchester model 21 will just have to be on my wish list,

Good guns don't come cheap... :mrgreen: ;-)
0 x

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Seeing that I haven't shot a shotgun in maybe 10 years I guess I don't need the good ones. But sure looks nice if I can find a used one at 1/2 price.
The cheapest Winchester 21 16ga on gunbroker right now is $7,999.00 and it's used.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:56 pm

kenny thomas wrote:Seeing that I haven't shot a shotgun in maybe 10 years I guess I don't need the good ones. But sure looks nice if I can find a used one at 1/2 price.
The cheapest Winchester 21 16ga on gunbroker right now is $7,999.00 and it's used.

Uncle had one that I got to shoot.
He died in the 60's and his daughter has it over the mantle. I am surprised it isn't rusted out from me drooling over it everytime I go over.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”