Weatherby 340 for a female?

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14166
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Weatherby 340 for a female?

Postby greybeard » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:27 pm

Brother just bought his wife a .340mag Mk V. Has the long muzzle brake on it.
Her only other experience is a .240. How much difference in recoil is she going to notice?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21068
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Weatherby 340 for a female?

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:02 pm

greybeard wrote:Brother just bought his wife a .340mag Mk V. Has the long muzzle brake on it.
Her only other experience is a .240. How much difference in recoil is she going to notice?



You are kidding that round has over 40 pounds of recoil.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14166
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Weatherby 340 for a female?

Postby greybeard » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:51 pm

No, I'm not kidding.

There was something wrong with her .240. About 1/2 the time, it would break open upon firing.
He bought her the .340, handed it to her and said "Now you can play with the big boys".
:lol2:
She's a big girl, but I dunno about this...
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
Margonme
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: Princedom

Re: Weatherby 340 for a female?

Postby Margonme » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:58 pm

greybeard wrote:No, I'm not kidding.

There was something wrong with her .240. About 1/2 the time, it would break open upon firing.
He bought her the .340, handed it to her and said "Now you can play with the big boys".
:lol2:
She's a big girl, but I dunno about this...


My Winchester M70 .375 H&H which is the minimum caliber for dangerous game you are allowed to use in Zimbabwe has about the same recoil. I would not recommend that for a woman. Mine has a mercury filled tube fitted into the buttstock. Makes an amazing difference in recoil.
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14166
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Weatherby 340 for a female?

Postby greybeard » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:59 pm

Her with her .240 at the table. She's a lefty and the pic looks odd and that's one of the reasons he bought the .340. It's a left too.
Image
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4109
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Weatherby 340 for a female?

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:50 pm

He wants a divorce and doesn't have a perceptual agreement is my guess.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14166
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Weatherby 340 for a female?

Postby greybeard » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:36 pm

:D
Not likely his frail health conditions.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 46734
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Weatherby 340 for a female?

Postby dun » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:55 pm

Typically with a single shot it if pops open it's because of too high of pressure. If they're reloads he needs to back them down some.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14166
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: Weatherby 340 for a female?

Postby greybeard » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:53 pm

dun wrote:Typically with a single shot it if pops open it's because of too high of pressure. If they're reloads he needs to back them down some.

Thanks. He does reload some ammo. I'll pass that on to him.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

js1234
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:58 pm

Re: Weatherby 340 for a female?

Postby js1234 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:08 am

I have a .416 Rigby and have shot my Dad's .450/.400 double. I have also shot a .340 Weatherby that belonged to a guide on an Alaskan Brown Bear hunt. The booming rocking recoil of either of them was/is more pleasant than the sharp biting recoiled of the .340 Weatherby. I love Weatherby's and there are a bunch of them hanging around here, I've got 2 .300 Weatherby's and a .257 Weatherby, my Dad has a .300 Weatherby and my Brother in Law has a .270 Weatherby and a .30-378 Weatherby. All that Weatherby love aside, they are loud, they have huge for class recoil and above .300 Weatherby are not fun to shoot.
0 x

User avatar
Ryder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5447
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:30 am
Location: Southeast Louisiana (Rep. of W. Fla.)

Re: Weatherby 340 for a female?

Postby Ryder » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:19 am

Margonme wrote:
greybeard wrote:No, I'm not kidding.

There was something wrong with her .240. About 1/2 the time, it would break open upon firing.
He bought her the .340, handed it to her and said "Now you can play with the big boys".
:lol2:
She's a big girl, but I dunno about this...


My Winchester M70 .375 H&H which is the minimum caliber for dangerous game you are allowed to use in Zimbabwe has about the same recoil. I would not recommend that for a woman. Mine has a mercury filled tube fitted into the buttstock. Makes an amazing difference in recoil.

Then what is a woman supposed to do if a dangerous game got after her?
Holler for Tarzan? :help:
May be repeating myself but we were shooting one day and a big old boy pulled his S&W .44 magnum out of his overalls pocket and he shot a few rounds, then I shot it. I told him to let my wife, who is not very big, shoot it and he chuckled at the idea.
When she started popping them in the target as good as any of us he changed his attitude.
I knew she could do it but a 12 gauge pump beats her up some but that is probably because the gun doesn't fit her.
I don't know anything about those heavy rifles so I am interested in what is being said.
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21068
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Weatherby 340 for a female?

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:31 am

Ryder I don't like shooting my 44 mag hot it's not enjoyable.
I don't enjoy shooting a rifle that kills on both ends.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

User avatar
Margonme
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:48 pm
Location: Princedom

Re: Weatherby 340 for a female?

Postby Margonme » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:53 am

Ryder wrote:
Margonme wrote:
greybeard wrote:No, I'm not kidding.

There was something wrong with her .240. About 1/2 the time, it would break open upon firing.
He bought her the .340, handed it to her and said "Now you can play with the big boys".
:lol2:
She's a big girl, but I dunno about this...


My Winchester M70 .375 H&H which is the minimum caliber for dangerous game you are allowed to use in Zimbabwe has about the same recoil. I would not recommend that for a woman. Mine has a mercury filled tube fitted into the buttstock. Makes an amazing difference in recoil.

Then what is a woman supposed to do if a dangerous game got after her?
Holler for Tarzan? :help:
May be repeating myself but we were shooting one day and a big old boy pulled his S&W .44 magnum out of his overalls pocket and he shot a few rounds, then I shot it. I told him to let my wife, who is not very big, shoot it and he chuckled at the idea.
When she started popping them in the target as good as any of us he changed his attitude.
I knew she could do it but a 12 gauge pump beats her up some but that is probably because the gun doesn't fit her.
I don't know anything about those heavy rifles so I am interested in what is being said.


js1234 is correct, those Weatherbys have a quick sharp recoil. I am not a fan of the Weatherby calibers. A woman can do the same thing I did. Put a recoil suppressor in the rifle. The mercury filled tube contains liquid mercury which is heavy like lead. The tube is only half full, as the rifle recoils, the mercury goes forward to counter the recoil. It makes the rifle heavy but it is worth the trade off.
0 x
Long Live the Prince.

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 46734
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Weatherby 340 for a female?

Postby dun » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:11 pm

Margonme wrote:js1234 is correct, those Weatherbys have a quick sharp recoil. I am not a fan of the Weatherby calibers. A woman can do the same thing I did. Put a recoil suppressor in the rifle. The mercury filled tube contains liquid mercury which is heavy like lead. The tube is only half full, as the rifle recoils, the mercury goes forward to counter the recoil. It makes the rifle heavy but it is worth the trade off.

I use the mercury ones that have a spring in them for my turkey gun. Sitting down against a tree when you touch it off can do wonderful things to your body without the recoil reducer.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6131
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Klickitat County Washington

Re: Weatherby 340 for a female?

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:45 pm

My shoulder hurts just remembering what a 340 is like. I worked for a year on Afognak Island. That is the next island north of Kodiak. There was a pretty good assortment of bear guns in camp. Of course we had to try all of them out. I thought my little light Sako 375 H&H kicked but it had nothing on that 340.
Why buy a 340 anyway? Is she planning on hunting big bear or African lions?
0 x


Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests