Dang It

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Dang It

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:04 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I enjoyed catching hogs with dogs and never carried a gun. I would bob a sows tail and castrate and ear notch the boars. Then I started selling the hogs to game farms in North Carolina and Tennessee. And when I was told I had to start killing them, I quit hog hunting. If I'd of known then what I know now I'd of killed everyone of those stinking varmits. Throughout my hog hunting career with dogs I lost 14 good dogs to the hogs.

Dad and I marked or cut hundreds of hogs when I was a kid. It was open range and everyone's hogs ran in the woods. Those were domestic hogs turned loose and turned mean enough.
This mess we have now is heavily Russian influenced and makes those old hogs look tame.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I enjoyed catching hogs with dogs and never carried a gun. I would bob a sows tail and castrate and ear notch the boars. Then I started selling the hogs to game farms in North Carolina and Tennessee. And when I was told I had to start killing them, I quit hog hunting. If I'd of known then what I know now I'd of killed everyone of those stinking varmits. Throughout my hog hunting career with dogs I lost 14 good dogs to the hogs.

Dad and I marked or cut hundreds of hogs when I was a kid. It was open range and everyone's hogs ran in the woods. Those were domestic hogs turned loose and turned mean enough.
This mess we have now is heavily Russian influenced and makes those old hogs look tame.

I shot a rank Russian boar hog at 15' with #4's the wad and shot never penetrated his shield. That was the last time I went turkey hunting without carrying a 00 buckshot or 2 with me.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:23 pm

TG I always have a couple loads of buckshot in my pocket for that very reason. Where buckshot is not allowed a 45 or 357 on my hip.
Few years back ole Rube found a litter of pigs while squirrel hunting. She went to killing pigs and I thought that old sow was going to eat us alive.
After five loads of #6 shot she decided it was too hot to stay. I never put her down.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:33 pm

More devils

0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:26 pm

Thankfully my pigs have moved north but they will be back once the pivot field is planted. I hope to line up a bunch of snares on their trails and catch them all. They've gotten trap wise except the little ones.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:11 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Thankfully my pigs have moved north but they will be back once the pivot field is planted. I hope to line up a bunch of snares on their trails and catch them all. They've gotten trap wise except the little ones.

Have to wire the traps open here and put a game camera on it. When they all start going in set it.
I have been feeding them for a week still got two that are leary.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:46 pm

I set three snares yesterday and ended up with these two this morning. Either I was lucky or I'm getting better at trapping.

0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:20 pm

Here is my ongoing battle with my aquatic pigs. Every stick you see from the beginning of the photo to the dark shadow have been placed there by the beavers in a week's time. I'm getting about sick of these pests.

0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:36 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Here is my ongoing battle with my aquatic pigs. Every stick you see from the beginning of the photo to the dark shadow have been placed there by the beavers in a week's time. I'm getting about sick of these pests.

You at least have hope if hides ever rise again.
I haven't ever heard of anyone wanting a hog hide.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:50 pm

True enough but there is a lot more meat on a pig than a beaver. I actually have the solution to the problem but I'm reluctant to use it. I really wish this area wasn't so hard to get to because its a job just getting to this spot. I am considering blowing out a shooting lane into the area where I might could use some night vision to shoot them. I don't know how cost effective this might be but it sure would make me feel better if I could spray their brains over the water.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:15 pm

Well, you know you'll only get one shot, not for long, and at a pretty small target if they're just swimming.
I've shot a couple at night with a .270. When shot, they do dance around a bit on top of the water..which makes the wait worth it.
I learned to just watch for the water to move the tiniest bit. A small wake is all they leave.
I watched a couple thru a borrowed night vision monocular one night and sure made me wish I could justify the cost of a NV scope. A green led rifle light works pretty good but nothing like the NV did.

For those that never saw them, their work is meticulous. You might think you can just start at the top and start throwing sticks off, but it's not that way. All weaved and intertwined together so securely, it's a royal pain to tear any of their construction apart. Here, they also cement it together with mud, muck and rotten vegetation from the pond bottom.
I cleaned out a big culvert 4 straight days--they rebuilt their dam every night, and were done well before daylight each time.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:20 pm

They are amazing builders for sure. And relentless. I've put hog panels in front of my pipes and though this doesn't prevent them from damming them up its a whole lot easier to clear the debris out.

The idea of them flopping around in the water in agony sounds like something I would enjoy.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Snared a strange looking beaver today.

0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:42 am

Jogeephus wrote:Snared a strange looking beaver today.

I'm lost here.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:11 am

this looks like the outline to me
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”