Grumpy Old Man

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
User avatar
mwj
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:36 am
Location: central Ill.

Re: Grumpy Old Man

Postby mwj » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:17 pm

john250 wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I'm a huge basketball fan John and I agree, it's a travesty. I didn't see the point of adding Maryland and Rutgers in the first place.

Penn State was first. They struggled how to call an eleven team the "big 10". Now it's the big 14. or the B1G.
I sorta understand. But Penn State plays football. Yawn. Maryland and Rutgers, what do they play????



Maryland and Rutgers bring TV viewers. Check out the TV money that the Big10 Network generates for there schools. No other conference captured the money like the Big10.
0 x
never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!!!!!!

john250
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8293
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:32 pm
Location: Holton, IN elevation 768 ft

Re: Grumpy Old Man

Postby john250 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:52 am

mwj wrote:
john250 wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I'm a huge basketball fan John and I agree, it's a travesty. I didn't see the point of adding Maryland and Rutgers in the first place.

Penn State was first. They struggled how to call an eleven team the "big 10". Now it's the big 14. or the B1G.
I sorta understand. But Penn State plays football. Yawn. Maryland and Rutgers, what do they play????



Maryland and Rutgers bring TV viewers. Check out the TV money that the Big10 Network generates for there schools. No other conference captured the money like the Big10.


I read yesterday that tickets on the secondary market (scalpers) can be had for $2.
I have also heard that the B1G hopes to expand recruiting into the East Coast. That is lunacy. There are great East Coast players, Absolutely. Give me Indiana recruits against anyone.
0 x
Drain the Swamp!

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28029
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Grumpy Old Man

Postby TexasBred » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:31 pm

mwj wrote:
john250 wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:I'm a huge basketball fan John and I agree, it's a travesty. I didn't see the point of adding Maryland and Rutgers in the first place.

Penn State was first. They struggled how to call an eleven team the "big 10". Now it's the big 14. or the B1G.
I sorta understand. But Penn State plays football. Yawn. Maryland and Rutgers, what do they play????



Maryland and Rutgers bring TV viewers. Check out the TV money that the Big10 Network generates for there schools. No other conference captured the money like the Big10.

SEC is right there with them. Very close and when they get their new TV deal will be larger. Each school gets the same amount.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

john250
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8293
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:32 pm
Location: Holton, IN elevation 768 ft

Re: Grumpy Old Man

Postby john250 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:51 pm

TexasBred wrote:
mwj wrote:
john250 wrote:Penn State was first. They struggled how to call an eleven team the "big 10". Now it's the big 14. or the B1G.
I sorta understand. But Penn State plays football. Yawn. Maryland and Rutgers, what do they play????



Maryland and Rutgers bring TV viewers. Check out the TV money that the Big10 Network generates for there schools. No other conference captured the money like the Big10.

SEC is right there with them. Very close and when they get their new TV deal will be larger. Each school gets the same amount.


As long as Alabama can get 8o,ooo for Spring football practice game...
0 x
Drain the Swamp!

User avatar
mwj
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1036
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:36 am
Location: central Ill.

Re: Grumpy Old Man

Postby mwj » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:13 pm

TexasBred wrote:
mwj wrote:
john250 wrote:Penn State was first. They struggled how to call an eleven team the "big 10". Now it's the big 14. or the B1G.
I sorta understand. But Penn State plays football. Yawn. Maryland and Rutgers, what do they play????



Maryland and Rutgers bring TV viewers. Check out the TV money that the Big10 Network generates for there schools. No other conference captured the money like the Big10.

SEC is right there with them. Very close and when they get their new TV deal will be larger. Each school gets the same amount.



It almost makes your brain hurt when you see the dollars raked in from TV. :shock:
0 x
never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!!!!!!!

john250
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8293
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:32 pm
Location: Holton, IN elevation 768 ft

Re: Grumpy Old Man

Postby john250 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:43 pm

wacocowboy wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:They should cancel basketball


The way OU plays it you're probably right.



It's ok they play pretty good in the only sport that matters.


We have Jr high schools in Indiana that would give Ok State a run. Clearly, you have never seen a well played game of B-Ball. My sympathies. It is a work of beauty. It's just where you grow up.
..
0 x
Drain the Swamp!

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28029
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Grumpy Old Man

Postby TexasBred » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:52 pm

john250 wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
mwj wrote:

Maryland and Rutgers bring TV viewers. Check out the TV money that the Big10 Network generates for there schools. No other conference captured the money like the Big10.

SEC is right there with them. Very close and when they get their new TV deal will be larger. Each school gets the same amount.


As long as Alabama can get 8o,ooo for Spring football practice game...

Not just 'bama. A&M gets 50,000 for midnight yell practice and 102,000 for every game as do many others.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28029
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Grumpy Old Man

Postby TexasBred » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:00 pm

mwj wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
mwj wrote:

Maryland and Rutgers bring TV viewers. Check out the TV money that the Big10 Network generates for there schools. No other conference captured the money like the Big10.

SEC is right there with them. Very close and when they get their new TV deal will be larger. Each school gets the same amount.



It almost makes your brain hurt when you see the dollars raked in from TV. :shock:


Yeah....football pays the way for every other sport the schools participate in.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

john250
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8293
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:32 pm
Location: Holton, IN elevation 768 ft

Re: Grumpy Old Man

Postby john250 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:33 pm

talltimber wrote:whats B1G?
B1G isthe former Big 10. It's like the artist formerly known as "Prince", who changed his name to a symbol.
When the Big 10 added Penn St. they stuck with Big 10, and then the faculty started to realize the damage that name for an 11 team league was inaccurate. When the total teams reached 14, the marketing gurus were called in and the result was B1G.
I hope this explanation suffices.
I'd mock the SEC if they did something this dumb, but hey, it's the B1G.
0 x
Drain the Swamp!


Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests