Trapping Coyotes

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10376
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Trapping Coyotes

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:06 pm

wacocowboy wrote:I like snares just can't release if you don't like what you catch.


Most of the time they are already dead by the time we check the snares. Luckily we haven't caught anything unintended yet.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

User avatar
wacocowboy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3132
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:36 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: Trapping Coyotes

Postby wacocowboy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:44 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:I like snares just can't release if you don't like what you catch.


Most of the time they are already dead by the time we check the snares. Luckily we haven't caught anything unintended yet.


Yeah everytime I have used them everything was dead.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23425
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Trapping Coyotes

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:17 pm

wacocowboy wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:I like snares just can't release if you don't like what you catch.


Most of the time they are already dead by the time we check the snares. Luckily we haven't caught anything unintended yet.


Yeah everytime I have used them everything was dead.


What kind of lock are you using? Just curious. With beaver, I've never had one dead in a snare but my setup will release some if they don't pull on it. I have some camlocks that don't let up any but haven't tried these on beaver yet.

Our coyote population went down to zilch after a mange epidemic hit them. Our rabbits population has come back considerably but I'm hearing more coyotes at night so it sounds like they are on the rebound.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm
Location: west MI

Re: Trapping Coyotes

Postby ez14. » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:19 pm

wacocowboy wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:I like snares just can't release if you don't like what you catch.


Most of the time they are already dead by the time we check the snares. Luckily we haven't caught anything unintended yet.


Yeah everytime I have used them everything was dead.

are you using locking snares? i only have a very limited amount of experience with snares but have not had them kill anything yet! but locking snares are illegal in MI
0 x

User avatar
wacocowboy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3132
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:36 am
Location: Central Texas

Re: Trapping Coyotes

Postby wacocowboy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:30 pm

ez14. wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Most of the time they are already dead by the time we check the snares. Luckily we haven't caught anything unintended yet.


Yeah everytime I have used them everything was dead.

are you using locking snares? i only have a very limited amount of experience with snares but have not had them kill anything yet! but locking snares are illegal in MI
Jogeephus wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Most of the time they are already dead by the time we check the snares. Luckily we haven't caught anything unintended yet.


Yeah everytime I have used them everything was dead.


What kind of lock are you using? Just curious. With beaver, I've never had one dead in a snare but my setup will release some if they don't pull on it. I have some camlocks that don't let up any but haven't tried these on beaver yet.

Our coyote population went down to zilch after a mange epidemic hit them. Our rabbits population has come back considerably but I'm hearing more coyotes at night so it sounds like they are on the rebound.



I guess they are locking I really don't know they are some I got from a buddy he had in his barn. This was about 10 years ago and that was the only snares I've ever used. They worked good caught several coyotes and a dog.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21359
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Trapping Coyotes

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:50 pm

Several years ago I actually caught one in a hog trap never really figured that one out. That had to be one hungry dog
I have caught deer, coons,hogs.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10376
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Trapping Coyotes

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:20 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Most of the time they are already dead by the time we check the snares. Luckily we haven't caught anything unintended yet.


Yeah everytime I have used them everything was dead.


What kind of lock are you using? Just curious. With beaver, I've never had one dead in a snare but my setup will release some if they don't pull on it. I have some camlocks that don't let up any but haven't tried these on beaver yet.

Our coyote population went down to zilch after a mange epidemic hit them. Our rabbits population has come back considerably but I'm hearing more coyotes at night so it sounds like they are on the rebound.


I honestly don't know Jo. The fella in the picture supplies the snares, I supply the land and the yotes.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23425
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Trapping Coyotes

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:32 pm

If you ever get a chance take a look and see if the lock looks like any of these. The one on the right is a locking and the more the animal pulls the tighter it gets and it doesn't let up. The other two will ease up if they stop pulling. Reason I'm asking is I'm just curious if its the animal or the snare because I've never snared coyotes.

Image
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10376
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY

Re: Trapping Coyotes

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:21 pm

I'm going to the farm next week and I'll check.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6266
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Klickitat County Washington

Re: Trapping Coyotes

Postby Dave » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:09 am

I have snared and trapped lots of coyotes. I never had a snare kill a dog. Most dogs, at least the pet types have been tied up at one time or another. They won't fight the snare to the point of choking themselves down.
I like a dirt hole set with the trap back about a foot from the front edge of the hole and slightly to one side. I have used beaver, bobcat, muskrat, horse, beef, deer and just about any other kind of meat for bait. But no opossum, coon, or members of the weasel family as they don't work so well. Slightly tainted but definitely not rotten. I had a real good run one time in northeast Washington using small (half dollar sized) rock crabs for bait. I think it worked because they through off lots of odor but an odor the coyotes had never smelled before. I caught 53 in ten days on that run. Another set that worked well for me was a flat set using a egg shell as a visual and baited with a homemade bait that was 1/3 sardines, 1/3 limburger cheese, and 1/3 lard. I put all those thing together in a blender and blended very well. Scents to attract them can be pretty loud but for bait you want something that they want to eat. Rotten stuff will cause them to want to roll on it. They then roll on your trap setting it off but not getting caught. I also practiced making sets so I could make a good solid set very quickly. The longer you are at the location the more scent you leave. I tried to be clean but was more concern about time spent at the location.
0 x

User avatar
BRYANT
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:56 pm
Location: Okie

Re: Trapping Coyotes

Postby BRYANT » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Dave wrote:I have snared and trapped lots of coyotes. I never had a snare kill a dog. Most dogs, at least the pet types have been tied up at one time or another. They won't fight the snare to the point of choking themselves down.
I like a dirt hole set with the trap back about a foot from the front edge of the hole and slightly to one side. I have used beaver, bobcat, muskrat, horse, beef, deer and just about any other kind of meat for bait. But no opossum, coon, or members of the weasel family as they don't work so well. Slightly tainted but definitely not rotten. I had a real good run one time in northeast Washington using small (half dollar sized) rock crabs for bait. I think it worked because they through off lots of odor but an odor the coyotes had never smelled before. I caught 53 in ten days on that run. Another set that worked well for me was a flat set using a egg shell as a visual and baited with a homemade bait that was 1/3 sardines, 1/3 limburger cheese, and 1/3 lard. I put all those thing together in a blender and blended very well. Scents to attract them can be pretty loud but for bait you want something that they want to eat. Rotten stuff will cause them to want to roll on it. They then roll on your trap setting it off but not getting caught. I also practiced making sets so I could make a good solid set very quickly. The longer you are at the location the more scent you leave. I tried to be clean but was more concern about time spent at the location.

some good info. Dave. I mostly trap cats but like to catch coyotes always felt like I had done something when I catch a coyote compared to a cat, cats are pretty easy but a coyote that a different story.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23425
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Trapping Coyotes

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:56 pm

Thanks for sharing that Dave. Lots of stuff to learn about trapping. Haven't tried coyotes yet or anything other than beavers and pigs but i think I may do more of it in the future because its kind of fun. Sort of like a cat and mouse game where you really have to understand the animal to be successful.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3924
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Contact:

Re: Trapping Coyotes

Postby sim.-ang.king » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:05 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Most of the time they are already dead by the time we check the snares. Luckily we haven't caught anything unintended yet.


Yeah everytime I have used them everything was dead.


What kind of lock are you using? Just curious. With beaver, I've never had one dead in a snare but my setup will release some if they don't pull on it. I have some camlocks that don't let up any but haven't tried these on beaver yet.

Our coyote population went down to zilch after a mange epidemic hit them. Our rabbits population has come back considerably but I'm hearing more coyotes at night so it sounds like they are on the rebound.


Sounds like you need to be using a kill pole or drowning slide if you have live beavers in your snares.
I prefer my beavers dead when I show up. ;-)
0 x
I'm Conservative so you can be Liberal.

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23425
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Trapping Coyotes

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:42 am

I want them live so I can kill them and clean them for the meat for beaver sausage.

Image
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

ez14.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm
Location: west MI

Re: Trapping Coyotes

Postby ez14. » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:34 am

Jogeephus wrote:I want them live so I can kill them and clean them for the meat for beaver sausage.

Image

that looks real good!!!
0 x


Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests