Trapping Coyotes

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Trapping Coyotes

Postby BRYANT » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:30 pm

never made beaver sausage but have ate it cooked in smoker and was pretty good eating.
Jogeephus what kind of seasoning do you use in the sausage?
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:06 pm

Have had a lot of people say it was. Many of course don't know what's in it. If they don't ask I don't tell. At least till after they have eaten it. ;-)
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:22 pm

Jogeephus wrote:I want them live so I can kill them and clean them for the meat for beaver sausage.

Where did you get the idea to make sausage out of beavers? So is it a dry sausage or greasy? I've eaten a lot of weird stuff but never beaver.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:09 am

wacocowboy wrote:Where did you get the idea to make sausage out of beavers? So is it a dry sausage or greasy? I've eaten a lot of weird stuff but never beaver.

I don't like to kill anything unless I am going to use it so I gave beaver meat a try and found it tasted just like beef only more tender. I'd be willing to wager if you ate some and you would swear it was beef. Its not greasy at all. The fat tastes just like beef fat and the flesh tastes just like beef - only more tender.

This was a smoked sausage and was actually made from wild pig, antelope and beaver with a jalapeno and cheese twist. A lot of people might turn their noses up at the thought of eating something like this but in my view if it tastes good why not. And its free. And be nice it they sure seem to be sustainable. :lol2:
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:08 am

Jogeephus wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:Where did you get the idea to make sausage out of beavers? So is it a dry sausage or greasy? I've eaten a lot of weird stuff but never beaver.

I don't like to kill anything unless I am going to use it so I gave beaver meat a try and found it tasted just like beef only more tender. I'd be willing to wager if you ate some and you would swear it was beef. Its not greasy at all. The fat tastes just like beef fat and the flesh tastes just like beef - only more tender.

This was a smoked sausage and was actually made from wild pig, antelope and beaver with a jalapeno and cheese twist. A lot of people might turn their noses up at the thought of eating something like this but in my view if it tastes good why not. And its free. And be nice it they sure seem to be sustainable. :lol2:

If it taste good go for it. I would try it. Your sausage combo sounds good. I have eaten barbecue lizard so why not beaver.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:41 am

wacocowboy wrote:If it taste good go for it. I would try it. Your sausage combo sounds good. I have eaten barbecue lizard so why not beaver.

That's my take on it but some turn their noses up at the thought. Heck, they are vegetarian and not like a possum that eats anything. Key is being sure to remove the castor gland and not getting any castor on the meat because it will taint it but this is very easy to do. Some people claim the tail is a delicacy but I write those folks off as being full of shyt because the tail is nothing but fat and is about like stripping the fat off a ribeye and eating it. I've also been told Indians viewed the tail as a delicacy which I might could see if they used it to make pemmican but eaten alone its no different than beef fat.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:22 am

Jogeephus wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:If it taste good go for it. I would try it. Your sausage combo sounds good. I have eaten barbecue lizard so why not beaver.

That's my take on it but some turn their noses up at the thought. Heck, they are vegetarian and not like a possum that eats anything. Key is being sure to remove the castor gland and not getting any castor on the meat because it will taint it but this is very easy to do. Some people claim the tail is a delicacy but I write those folks off as being full of shyt because the tail is nothing but fat and is about like stripping the fat off a ribeye and eating it. I've also been told Indians viewed the tail as a delicacy which I might could see if they used it to make pemmican but eaten alone its no different than beef fat.

We don't really have beaver around here. I would of though the tail would be like a gator tail. So do you make anything else besides sausage out of them. Ever ground one up and had beaver burger?
0 x

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Postby frieghttrain » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:26 am

Jogeephus wrote:I want them live so I can kill them and clean them for the meat for beaver sausage.

Those look exactly like the bratwurst's we make! As to the original question Cavens Hiawatha valley is a good bait http://www.minntrapprod.com/Hiawatha-Va ... HVALLEYGL/ along with Fox Hollows Bounty Hunter as a lure, the coyotes will kill themselves as long as they have anything to tangle in. They do make dispatch snares not sure if they're legal in your state.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:49 pm

wacocowboy wrote:We don't really have beaver around here. I would of though the tail would be like a gator tail. So do you make anything else besides sausage out of them. Ever ground one up and had beaver burger?

I use it just like I do beef. Make a lot a stir fry with it and burger works good to. You wouldn't know its not beef.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:56 am

Historical antropologists at the end of the 3rd millennium will state that 21st century man:
"Has conquered the atom.
Has ventured out into the solar system.
Has clawed his way to the top of the food chain.
Eats rats."
Last edited by greybeard on Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:41 am

Jogeephus wrote:
wacocowboy wrote:We don't really have beaver around here. I would of though the tail would be like a gator tail. So do you make anything else besides sausage out of them. Ever ground one up and had beaver burger?

I use it just like I do beef. Make a lot a stir fry with it and burger works good to. You wouldn't know its not beef.

Well if the opportunity arises I think I would try it.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:00 pm

I know a place you can trap and keep all you want. No limit. :lol2:
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:50 pm

Jogeephus wrote:I know a place you can trap and keep all you want. No limit. :lol2:

Ok I'll be there in 14-15 hours maybe a bit more depending where exactly in Georgia you live.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:38 am

My place is a lot closer Waco, and the terrain ain't nearly as bad as what Jo's pictures show....
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:40 am

greybeard wrote:My place is a lot closer Waco, and the terrain ain't nearly as bad as what Jo's pictures show....

I guess beavers are common East of 45? We had two stop in here for a minute a long time ago then they were gone never seen another one. Have you ever tried to eat one or are you not as adventurous with your food as Jo?
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”