Moss in Stock Ponds

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Moss in Stock Ponds

Postby dun » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:42 am

TexasBred wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Be careful, if you kill too much of it at one time it will die and rot and suck the 02 out of the water and cause a fish kill.

True...reason to only do part of the pond at a time.

This is one of those weird deals. I've used it before and not had any problem. I actually did a smaller area then usual. Typically the only area that is affected is where I spread the stuff. This time it killed all of the algae in the entire pond and all of the fish. I'm wondering if it is a winter deal. I've done it in the summer before but this is the first time I've done it in the winter. Sure shocked the crap out of me.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:56 am

dun wrote:
TexasBred wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Be careful, if you kill too much of it at one time it will die and rot and suck the 02 out of the water and cause a fish kill.

This is one of those weird deals. I've used it before and not had any problem. I actually did a smaller area then usual. Typically the only area that is affected is where I spread the stuff. This time it killed all of the algae in the entire pond and all of the fish. I'm wondering if it is a winter deal. I've done it in the summer before but this is the first time I've done it in the winter. Sure shocked the crap out of me.

When you did this was the winter cold enough to put a thin layer of ice over the lake?
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:40 pm

dun wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

No idea if it matters at all but I've always used it in spring. Always done a good job with no fish kill. I hear copper chelates are even better but expensive.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:06 pm

TexasBred wrote:
dun wrote:
TexasBred wrote:True...reason to only do part of the pond at a time.

No idea if it matters at all but I've always used it in spring. Always done a good job with no fish kill. I hear copper chelates are even better but expensive.

I talked to a guy who raises fish for a living and he said that bacteria and other critters can be dormant in cold water so rather than them feeding on the dying algae and junk along and along this stuff just settles to the bottom and begins to break down so when the water temperature increases the bacteria and stuff will spike more than they otherwise would do and end up zapping the oxygen and this can cause a pond kill even though you only treated a portion of the lake. Don't know if this is right but he sounded like he was familiar with it.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”