Fishing Rods and Reels

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Fishing Rods and Reels

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:52 am

greybeard wrote:I only have 1 spinning reel. A Shakespeare I bought just to fish at Bolivar. Nothing special about it.

All the rest of my reels are bait cast and I am solidly in the Shimano camp. They last forever with minimum maintenance. Tho not the latest, biggest or most expensive, my favorite is an old Bantam I've had since the late 90s or early 2000s.
I did have a Pinnacle that I liked but the cap for the level-wind pawl broke and I haven't been able to find another one.

I still have four Bantam Mag 10's from the 80's no telling how many Reds and Specks they have caught.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:52 pm

Or this:

0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:26 pm

dun wrote:Or this:

Bought something like that when I used to work outta town. Think it was called the fishin machine. Shoulda been called the frustration machine.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:45 am

KentuckySpud wrote:I'm on the hunt for a good spinning rod and reel and when I mean good I mean in the $100-150 range. I recently got turned onto a newer brand called "Favorite" but was trying to do some research before pulling the trigger on them.

Any recommendations are welcomed!

Thank you

What species are you wanting to catch? That would make a difference in answering your question
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:24 pm

When they aren't biting, I'm a big fan of force feeding them a little fiberglass with the Oneida Osprey/Muzzy XD combo. Of course, catch and release isn't an option. Sorry, couldn't find a pic of just the reel.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:46 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:When they aren't biting, I'm a big fan of force feeding them a little fiberglass with the Oneida Osprey/Muzzy XD combo. Of course, catch and release isn't an option.

I don't know squat about bowfishing, but exactly how's that work..having the line wind up around the handle instead of on the spool of the reel?

:hide:
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:06 am

greybeard wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:When they aren't biting, I'm a big fan of force feeding them a little fiberglass with the Oneida Osprey/Muzzy XD combo. Of course, catch and release isn't an option.

I don't know squat about bowfishing, but exactly how's that work..having the line wind up around the handle instead of on the spool of the reel?

:hide:

It worked pretty good that time. There is actually a third bow that is out of the picture. That gar was quite the fighter, and it turned into a mess before it was over. It was just my wife and I in the boat (Happy anniversary Sweetie) and lets just say that she was very supportive....from a distance.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:24 am

I used to bow fish for carp. It's a real trip and takes some skills. Just not in the same category as getting a brown trout to rise to a dry fly.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:06 pm

dun wrote:Since I was a kid I used Mitchell Garcias, I've now replaced them all with Shimano. I've got a8-10 of them and no complaints. The oldest ones are only 15 years old though so don;t know how they will hold up. For that matter the newest ones are around 10 years old.

To quote my husband" I also prefer Shimano reels, mine are also 15 plus years old.The Shimano Calais are the smoothest baitcasting reels I've ever owned. They cost me a lot of money, then they made me a lot of money".
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:58 pm

When I was bass fishing I used a Shimano citica along with a kistler medium rod. I gave the reel to a buddy last year though because I hadn't gone in so long. Kept the rod and put a 404 zebco I think on it for catfishing with the kids.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:42 am

dun wrote:I used to bow fish for carp. It's a real trip and takes some skills. Just not in the same category as getting a brown trout to rise to a dry fly.

Amen.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”