Lease the Farm for Deer & Turkey Hunting

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
red angus 2010
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Lease the Farm for Deer & Turkey Hunting

Postby red angus 2010 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:52 pm

Wife and I are discussing leasing the farm for hunting possibly deer and turkey. Would like to know both the good and bad others have experienced. We could use the income.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Lease the Farm for Deer & Turkey Hunting

Postby dun » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:55 pm

The biggest draw backs would be having to put up with the hunters and the cost of insurance
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:01 pm

I lease out my deer hunting, and keep the turkey. Not sure where you live, but the further away your hunter lives, the better off you are. A local could potentiy be underfoot all the time. An out of stater isn't going to be with you nearly as much
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

red angus 2010
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby red angus 2010 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:12 pm

We were thinking of starting out with our two shotgun seasons which are only for a few days each. Allowing one hunter and/or hunter and one family member on about thirty acres to themselves. Pricing at about $5,000 for each season. We are in a county in Southern Illinois known for its deer.
0 x

bird dog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bird dog » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:14 pm

I lease mine out to a outfitter. He does guide trips on the place. Its mostly for ducks but they do deer and hogs as well.
He carries his own insurance and I don't have to worry as much about gates or being there all the time. He sends me a text when he will be out there and has his own locks on the gates. He is aware of the cattle and will let me know if he sees something that doesn't look right. Their will always be some problems but not as many.

Yes I could make more leasing it out to individuals but not much more and sure not worth the hassle.

I would much rather have the guided trips doing day hunts. The season lease folks want to be out there all year and want a place to park their RV and plug into your electricity and water. It turns into a three month party for some of them.
0 x

red angus 2010
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby red angus 2010 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:30 pm

bird dog wrote:I lease mine out to a outfitter. He does guide trips on the place. Its mostly for ducks but they do deer and hogs as well.
He carries his own insurance and I don't have to worry as much about gates or being there all the time. He sends me a text when he will be out there and has his own locks on the gates. He is aware of the cattle and will let me know if he sees something that doesn't look right. Their will always be some problems but not as many.

Yes I could make more leasing it out to individuals but not much more and sure not worth the hassle.

I would much rather have the guided trips doing day hunts. The season lease folks want to be out there all year and want a place to park their RV and plug into your electricity and water. It turns into a three month party for some of them.

When I say season what I mean is the first shotgun season is mid-November Friday - Sunday. The contract would stipulate arrive on Wednesday and depart on Monday. I have a spot between the two farms that I could install RV pads with elec. but no water or sewage dump (we do not have water out where we are)
0 x

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:22 am

red angus 2010 wrote:We were thinking of starting out with our two shotgun seasons which are only for a few days each. Allowing one hunter and/or hunter and one family member on about thirty acres to themselves. Pricing at about $5,000 for each season. We are in a county in Southern Illinois known for its deer.

5000 for a three day pass on your land? Seems like a no brainer. Your cows don't make money that fast.
0 x

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:14 am

Even in IL, I think most will expect more than 3 days of access for $5000. The vast majority will want to bowhunt, not gun hunt. And they'll expect year round access for scouting and food plots. Your idea is more of a trespass fee than leasing. It would work much better for you than a full blown lease, I just don't think you'll be able to get that much for 3 days.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:38 am

I lease the west property that my mother owns. And I sublease the hunting on two properties that I rent. I've had good luck.with having good hunters. I actually check the cows much less in hunting season because I know the hunters are in there keeping a eye on things.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:50 am

For that price you could hunt Muye Grandes along with birds and hogs in Texas all year long. They would even throw in a Mescun to pack and process your game.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:53 am

Friend of mine in IL used to do the hunting deal, not sure if he still does. I'll check and see what he charges and for waht
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:35 am

red angus 2010 wrote:Wife and I are discussing leasing the farm for hunting possibly deer and turkey. Would like to know both the good and bad others have experienced. We could use the income.

The 'good' is the $, the 'bad' is the communication.A signed contract can clarify for both parties. I think the NRA has a contract on their website. :2cents:
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:41 am

I'd be interested but not for only 3 days of shotgun hunting. I'd like to bow hunt myself. Plus we have a house in Jensen Beach on the water and a boat or two to trade to go fishing.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:55 am

Caustic Burno wrote:For that price you could hunt Muye Grandes along with birds and hogs in Texas all year long. They would even throw in a Mescun to pack and process your game.

Idk bought that. I can get 5000.00 for a year round lease on 200 acres of low fence hill country. Without even hardly trying.
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:50 am

callmefence wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:For that price you could hunt Muye Grandes along with birds and hogs in Texas all year long. They would even throw in a Mescun to pack and process your game.

Idk bought that. I can get 5000.00 for a year round lease on 200 acres of low fence hill country. Without even hardly trying.

You can book a guaranteed trophy hunt including a doe, hog and lodging for half that.
That is where a fool and his money have parted.
http://www.karankawa.com/hunting-prices/
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”