Lease the Farm for Deer & Turkey Hunting

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Re: Lease the Farm for Deer & Turkey Hunting

Postby TCRanch » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:43 pm

One of our neighbors has a hunting operation and approached us last year about leasing for deer season. No way - husband is hard core deer hunter (primarily bow) and we simply didn't want a bunch of people we don't know on our property, including potential risks, destruction and liabilities. That said, same neighbor approached us a couple weeks ago about a turkey hunt for a family from IL. Neither of us hunt turkeys, we have a freakin' ton of 'em so we told them we'd try it and see how it goes.
0 x

red angus 2010
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby red angus 2010 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:09 pm

TCRanch wrote:One of our neighbors has a hunting operation and approached us last year about leasing for deer season. No way - husband is hard core deer hunter (primarily bow) and we simply didn't want a bunch of people we don't know on our property, including potential risks, destruction and liabilities. That said, same neighbor approached us a couple weeks ago about a turkey hunt for a family from IL. Neither of us hunt turkeys, we have a freakin' ton of 'em so we told them we'd try it and see how it goes.

I would like to hear how this works for you
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:28 pm

I can't get enough money for turkey hunting rights to make it worth while to me. For $2 per acre I'd just as soon no one besides friends be on our property.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:26 pm

red angus 2010 wrote:
TCRanch wrote:One of our neighbors has a hunting operation and approached us last year about leasing for deer season. No way - husband is hard core deer hunter (primarily bow) and we simply didn't want a bunch of people we don't know on our property, including potential risks, destruction and liabilities. That said, same neighbor approached us a couple weeks ago about a turkey hunt for a family from IL. Neither of us hunt turkeys, we have a freakin' ton of 'em so we told them we'd try it and see how it goes.

I would like to hear how this works for you

Well, our neighbors just left and our cut is $400. The hunters will be here Saturday and Sunday morning - contingent on weather (yet more T-storms predicted). That's it. Presumably our neighbors make a fair amount because they provide lodging, food and a UTV. No ruts in the mud, don't drive on the brome field, no trash left behind, please don't die or get severely injured on our property. They won't be remotely close to our cattle. We even offered to fill the deer feeders with corn but evidently they want to call them in - the whole "true hunting experience". Oh, and our neighbors are bringing them by Friday night to meet us. Really? But whatever, that's fine.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:38 am

TCRanch wrote: We even offered to fill the deer feeders with corn but evidently they want to call them in - the whole "true hunting experience". Oh, and our neighbors are bringing them by Friday night to meet us. Really? But whatever, that's fine.

I don't know about Kansas or any other state but here in Georgia hunting turkeys around corn feeders would be unlawful baiting. Calling a turkey within shotgun range takes a fair amount of skill and is the allure of the sport.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:23 pm

ga.prime wrote:
TCRanch wrote: We even offered to fill the deer feeders with corn but evidently they want to call them in - the whole "true hunting experience". Oh, and our neighbors are bringing them by Friday night to meet us. Really? But whatever, that's fine.

I don't know about Kansas or any other state but here in Georgia hunting turkeys around corn feeders would be unlawful baiting. Calling a turkey within shotgun range takes a fair amount of skill and is the allure of the sport.

Funny you bring that up GP, my son ran into the game warden yesterday at our main gate. First time anyone has seen a
game warden in years. The snakes are crawling, this one crawled about 3' from my son's boot while turkey hunting this morning.

0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:07 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Funny you bring that up GP, my son ran into the game warden yesterday at our main gate. First time anyone has seen a
game warden in years. The snakes are crawling, this one crawled about 3' from my son's boot while turkey hunting this morning.

I ran a king snake out of the bushes yesterday running the lawn mower. Some of the hunting club members saw a king snake swallow a rat snake at the deer camp a week or two back.

I hear you on the game warden. I haven't seen one since that last one we had got sent up the river on domestic abuse charges. He was a real go getter.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:19 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
ga.prime wrote:

Funny you bring that up GP, my son ran into the game warden yesterday at our main gate. First time anyone has seen a

Hadn't thought about whether baiting is illegal but must be why they declined the offer.
Grit, that's one nasty snake!
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:04 pm

TCRanch wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
ga.prime wrote:I don't know about Kansas or any other state but here in Georgia hunting turkeys around corn feeders would be unlawful baiting. Calling a turkey within shotgun range takes a fair amount of skill and is the allure of the sport.

Hadn't thought about whether baiting is illegal but must be why they declined the offer.

More likely they want to match wits with a turkey, which is the entire purpose behind turkey hunting.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:24 am

ga.prime wrote:
TCRanch wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Hadn't thought about whether baiting is illegal but must be why they declined the offer.

More likely they want to match wits with a turkey, which is the entire purpose behind turkey hunting.

And then there's this: brings a whole new meaning to "matching wits with a turkey"
http://www.kansas.com/sports/outdoors/a ... 29249.html
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:57 am

TCRanch wrote:
ga.prime wrote:
TCRanch wrote:

And then there's this: brings a whole new meaning to "matching wits with a turkey"

Accidents definitely happen and you can't believe it happened or why. My dad shot my brother while turkey hunting 42 years ago last month. And to this day none of us can believe it.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:30 pm

TCRanch wrote:
ga.prime wrote:
TCRanch wrote:

Those were irresponsible hunters on both ends of the stick. If you masquerade as a turkey during turkey season (and pretty risky any other time of the year I'd hazard to guess) you should expect to get shot or shot at.

Did you ask your weekend lease hunters when you met with them why they didn't want corn put in the feeders? Baiting turkeys is something like a trespass hunter would do, not one paying good money to hunt.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:50 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
TCRanch wrote:
ga.prime wrote:More likely they want to match wits with a turkey, which is the entire purpose behind turkey hunting.

Accidents definitely happen and you can't believe it happened or why. My dad shot my brother while turkey hunting 42 years ago last month. And to this day none of us can believe it.

Oh my gosh! Presumably your brother survived and is okay? But yes, accidents do happen, which is why no charges were filed.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:06 pm

ga.prime wrote:
TCRanch wrote:
ga.prime wrote:More likely they want to match wits with a turkey, which is the entire purpose behind turkey hunting.

Those were irresponsible hunters on both ends of the stick. If you masquerade as a turkey during turkey season (and pretty risky any other time of the year I'd hazard to guess) you should expect to get shot or shot at.

Did you ask your weekend lease hunters when you met with them why they didn't want corn put in the feeders? Baiting turkeys is something like a trespass hunter would do, not one paying good money to hunt.

They're actually coming tonight. Moved it a week because we had potential severe storms in the forecast last weekend (plus Easter). But according to our neighbor they're all about The Hunt so I suspect that's why. I even mentioned that we have 5 toms battling over 9 hens in the alfalfa field by the barn and they didn't think the hunters would be interested in that either - way too easy.

Agree. You can't fix stupid.
0 x

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:21 pm

If I leased to hunters I would have a VERY detailed contract such as gates closed, hunting hours, seasons, areas, where people can drive etc.... I used to be on a lease in east Tx. The manager subleased it from the logging companies. It was good, year round hog hunting, deer season, anything. But he didnt screen people and let low life on the lease. They stole property and wound up getting into a drunken fight one night and burning down a cabin I believe. Either way one week everything was good, next week all 30+ hunters had to have their stuff off within a week cause the gate locks were being changed. The contract was very clear. They violated the rules so the whole lease got yanked.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”