Too Many People

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Dave
GURU
GURU

Too Many People

Postby Dave » Mon May 01, 2017 5:10 pm

On Saturday morning I decided to go dig some razor clams. They are a real Northwest treat. I figured to do a little surf fishing after getting the clams. So low tide was at 9:30 AM. You dig on the out going tide. I like to start digging about an hour and a half before low tide and it is about an hour and 20 minutes to the beach I like to dig at. I know all the back roads to avoid the tourist areas out on the coast. When I got to the beach road about 7 miles south of where dig the traffic was bumper to bumper. From there it was slow going. It took 25 minutes to go the 7 miles. I get to the beach and it is already stacked full of people. I quickly dug my clams and forgot about the surf fishing. I wanted to get out of there before these thousands of people all decide it is time to leave. By the time I went to leave there was three lines of card parked side by side for as far as I could see. And you can see a long ways on an open sandy beach (probably 5 miles or more each way). Back on the road there were cars bumper to bumper waiting to get to the beach. Most of them would never get to the beach in time to dig a clam. This all happened a good 3 hours from Seattle or Portland. There are getting to be just too many people. I need to move to Middle of Nowhere Wyoming.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Too Many People

Postby Bright Raven » Mon May 01, 2017 5:18 pm

I got just the place for you. Leo, Wyoming. Out in the Red Desert. Better pack a lunch. Only thing in town is a Saloon. Those cowboys know what is important.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Mon May 01, 2017 5:35 pm

When I left seattle in 1960 I thought there were too many people. It was even worse in 1980 when I spent a year in Bremerton. Got no desire to ever go back
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon May 01, 2017 5:53 pm

I'm surprised that part of the world still allows such a barbaric act as jerking live clams from their historical natural habitat.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon May 01, 2017 10:38 pm

Bright Raven wrote:I got just the place for you. Leo, Wyoming. Out in the Red Desert. Better pack a lunch. Only thing in town is a Saloon. Those cowboys know what is important.

For years I told everyone that I was going to retire in Ten Sleeps. I don't think the wife would go for it, but we are going to sell out and move to middle of no where in Eastern Oregon.
0 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Mon May 01, 2017 10:52 pm

There are Razor Calms in Wyoming? :lol:

A friend of mine who lives in the Long Beach area said he thought there was over 1000 people digging calms during the low tide when they went. Part of the reason is they bumped the limit from 10 to 25 calms and they short season. His party of six people got 136 calms during that tide....... I don't like calms that much, lol.
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Mon May 01, 2017 11:49 pm

Alan wrote:There are Razor Calms in Wyoming? :lol:

A friend of mine who lives in the Long Beach area said he thought there was over 1000 people digging calms during the low tide when they went. Part of the reason is they bumped the limit from 10 to 25 calms and they short season. His party of six people got 136 calms during that tide....... I don't like calms that much, lol.

How many calms do you have to eat before you become calm?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Mon May 01, 2017 11:57 pm

greybeard wrote:

How many calms do you have to eat before you become calm?

Good point, I've had the finest education oregon could provide. :lol:
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue May 02, 2017 6:51 am

Dave wrote:On Saturday morning I decided to go dig some razor clams.

So are you heading to New Hampshire this weekend for the 40th anniversary of The Clam Alliance protest or are you
going to wait for the 50th? :)
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Tue May 02, 2017 10:33 am

It's clammy in here!
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue May 02, 2017 11:03 am

dun wrote:When I left seattle in 1960 I thought there were too many people. It was even worse in 1980 when I spent a year in Bremerton. Got no desire to ever go back

Dun there is about 3 times as many people in Washington as there was in 1960. I remember my parents wondering why they built the airport way out of town in the middle of no where. Now it is one solid city from Marysville to south of Olympia.

There is over 30 miles of beach from Ocean Shores to Moclips. I am certain that there was well over a 1,000 people per mile. Long Beach had been closed to digging all winter because of toxin levels. It got opened at the last minute.
0 x

cattle60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby cattle60 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:08 pm

Dun, I was in Bremerton from oct 80 to april 82. Were you at Bangor?
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed May 10, 2017 7:35 pm

cattle60 wrote:Dun, I was in Bremerton from oct 80 to april 82. Were you at Bangor?

I was at Bremerton in 79 and 80 then a while at keyport then back to the shipyard at bremerton. Left in 82, Wife worked at Banger in 80 - 82
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”