Kentucky Derby

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Kentucky Derby

Postby Bright Raven » Sat May 06, 2017 1:29 pm

The pageantry of the 143 rd run for the roses begins in 2 minutes on NBC.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat May 06, 2017 2:32 pm

Bright Raven wrote:The pageantry of the 143 rd run for the roses begins in 2 minutes on NBC.

Lol, still hours to go before they actually run.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat May 06, 2017 4:25 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
greybeard wrote:I have not kept up with racing in years, except for triple crown contests.
The Derby has lost a lot of it's luster with today's generations, but I can remember when it was a big thing, even in the little East Texas town I grew up in.

If you think it's not a big thing anymore, I dare you to drive through Louisville today. :lol:

No doubt, but decades ago, the Derby was carried on at least radio world wide, and most TV. In 1970, even in Vietnam, and later when I was stationed in Cuba, it was broadcast on armed forces radio network, and we all listened to it.
The way it was.......back when we were one nation and people had a real interest in what happened in other states.
Around 1961 or '62, (I forget now) I and brother had to get a haircut for the upcoming graduation ceremony of my oldest sister, and everyone in the barbershop that May saturday morning was talking about a horse named Decidedly, because his dam was grandaughter of the famous Man O' War. Decidedly won that afternoon. I lived in a small town, maybe 4000 people altogether.
Of course, it probably helped that the TV show National Velvet was very popular that time period.
There were Kentucky Derby parades in cities all over the US and even small towns far outside Ky borders, and Derby Day parties were common in the area of Texas I grew up in. Over in Montgomery Texas, about 25 miles from me, there is an older subdivision my niece lives in that has street names like 'Kentucky Derby' and 'Churchill Downs'.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sat May 06, 2017 4:39 pm

greybeard wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
greybeard wrote:I have not kept up with racing in years, except for triple crown contests.
The Derby has lost a lot of it's luster with today's generations, but I can remember when it was a big thing, even in the little East Texas town I grew up in.

If you think it's not a big thing anymore, I dare you to drive through Louisville today. :lol:

No doubt, but decades ago, the Derby was carried on at least radio world wide, and most TV. In 1970, even in Vietnam, and later when I was stationed in Cuba, it was broadcast on armed forces radio network, and we all listened to it.
The way it was.......back when we were one nation and people had a real interest in what happened in other states.
Around 1961 or '62, (I forget now) I and brother had to get a haircut for the upcoming graduation ceremony of my oldest sister, and everyone in the barbershop that May saturday morning was talking about a horse named Decidedly, because his dam was grandaughter of the famous Man O' War. Decidedly won that afternoon. I lived in a small town, maybe 4000 people altogether.
Of course, it probably helped that the TV show National Velvet was very popular that time period.
There were Kentucky Derby parades in cities all over the US and even small towns far outside Ky borders, and Derby Day parties were common in the area of Texas I grew up in. Over in Montgomery Texas, about 25 miles from me, there is an older subdivision my niece lives in that has street names like 'Kentucky Derby' and 'Churchill Downs'.

Greybeard is right, horse racing, like boxing, are yesterday's sports. Baseball is hanging on but it doesn't captivate our national conscience as in days gone by.
0 x
Time for a snappy new signature.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat May 06, 2017 4:51 pm

So, who are ya pulling for?

I see lots of press interest for Patch, the one eyed horse at 15:1.
The first horse we ever had was blind in one eye, so I gotta pull for this one.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

msplmtneer
Rancher
Rancher
Location: Where the rockets rattle your windows. Fl but my heart in WV.

Postby msplmtneer » Sat May 06, 2017 5:06 pm

When I was at Fort Knox for basic training there was two guys in my platoon that was from Louisville and they said on derby day they would put a sign up parking $10.00 in a yard then when that yard was full they would go to another yard and do it all over again wasn't even their yards, they said they made a lot of money on derby day.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat May 06, 2017 5:57 pm

a few seconds ago Always Dreamin is dreaming no more--he wins!
2:03.59 seconds
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat May 06, 2017 6:40 pm

I thought Classic Empire had the look of a winner when they brought 'em out on the track... but he finished 4th.

The crowd had it right with Always Dreaming 5-1 in morning line and bet him down to 9-2 (4.5-1)

We'll see how it goes... I'd kind of like to see him win the Preakness and Classic Empire run him down in the Belmont.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat May 06, 2017 9:25 pm

It's really interesting to look at the pedigrees and see the common connections of champions that go so far back.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sun May 07, 2017 3:46 am

Was a pretty good race. I enjoyed it.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun May 07, 2017 11:34 am

I missed it. Got busy making locally sourced distillers grain for the cattle and forgot all about it. :oops:
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon May 08, 2017 9:52 am

Jogeephus wrote:I missed it. Got busy making locally sourced distillers grain for the cattle and forgot all about it. :oops:

Just glad you have your priorities in order.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue May 09, 2017 5:29 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:I missed it. Got busy making locally sourced distillers grain for the cattle and forgot all about it. :oops:

Just glad you have your priorities in order.

With a good distillers grains the cattle grow faster and the fish you catch are much bigger. Made properly its magic.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat May 20, 2017 6:39 pm

142nd Preakness 10 horse field
Last edited by Son of Butch on Sat May 20, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sat May 20, 2017 6:51 pm

Son of Butch wrote:
Son of Butch wrote:I thought Classic Empire had the look of a winner when they brought 'em out on the track... but he finished 4th.
(Classic Empire bumped coming out of the gate, otherwise he would've been pushing Always Dreaming at the finish)

The crowd had it right with Always Dreaming 5-1 in morning line and bet him down to 9-2 (4.5-1)
We'll see how it goes... I'd kind of like to see him win the Preakness and Classic Empire run him down in the Belmont.

Always Dreaming post position 4 set the pace with Classic Empire post 5 following him in 2nd until the top of the turn

1 Cloud Computing 13-1 skipped the Kentucky Derby and ran down Classic Empire to win the Preakness by a head.
2 Classic Empire 3-1 in 2nd most of the race, looked strong taking the lead at the top of the turn, finished 2nd :(
4 Lookin At Lee 2nd in the Derby went off at 10-1 and finished 4th
8 Always Dreaming the 4-5 favorite and winner of the Derby led most of the race before fading to 8th

i suck at picking... but maybe Classic Empire can still win the Belmont
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”