Page 1 of 4

Deer season

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:00 am
by Dave
Well deer season came and went. I didn't get my deer but I really didn't need the meat so I was mostly hunting because I enjoy hunting. I hiked my tail off, saw a lot of deer, and bucks every day. I did see one buck three times that I sure would have shot the first time I saw him. It was a good thing he was on the neighbor's property the first time I saw him. Walking straight away he was flat huge. But this is a 3 point or better area and when he turned broadside he was the biggest 2 point I have ever seen. I guess I could go out to the ranch and hike around any day I want to just looking for deer. But it is just not the same as doing it during season even if I don't shoot one.

Re: Deer season

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:36 am
by J&D Cattle
Youth season opens this weekend here in MO. My kids are both pretty excited and I can't wait! We've seen some good bucks that would make a kid grin ear to ear but nothing great. Boy will be picky for the first morning or so and I'd guess my little girl will be hammer down.

Re: Deer season

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:37 pm
by Jogeephus
Seasons in here. Haven't felt like going because its been to hot and sitting in a tree swatting mosquitoes isn't my idea of fun.

Re: Deer season

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:59 pm
by True Grit Farms
Jogeephus wrote:Seasons in here. Haven't felt like going because its been to hot and sitting in a tree swatting mosquitoes isn't my idea of fun.

You better get hunting we've been seeing a lot of good bucks with does. I've let two big 8pt's go that needed killing, I'm trying to hold out for a big 10pt with split G2's. This has been our best season in 25 years.
Image

Re: Deer season

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:08 pm
by Jogeephus
Good looking buck on the truck. You guys have a lot better quality bucks than we do. Our problem is mostly age. Between the farmers shooting deer during the summer and people shooting "trophy spikes" our age structure is only around 1.5 years. I don't get the fixation some have with shooting poor quality bucks.

Re: Deer season

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:44 pm
by Jogeephus
True Grit Farms wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Seasons in here. Haven't felt like going because its been to hot and sitting in a tree swatting mosquitoes isn't my idea of fun.

You better get hunting we've been seeing a lot of good bucks with does. I've let two big 8pt's go that needed killing, I'm trying to hold out for a big 10pt with split G2's. This has been our best season in 25 years.
Image


Took your advice and went this afternoon and got this buck. He was in full rut which surprised me.

Image

Re: Deer season

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:00 pm
by bball
Nice bucks grit and jo!!! Can't wait to get out there in a few weeks!

Side note: I noticed neither of you field dressed them..you do that back at the house?

Re: Deer season

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:02 pm
by True Grit Farms
Jogeephus wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Seasons in here. Haven't felt like going because its been to hot and sitting in a tree swatting mosquitoes isn't my idea of fun.

You better get hunting we've been seeing a lot of good bucks with does. I've let two big 8pt's go that needed killing, I'm trying to hold out for a big 10pt with split G2's. This has been our best season in 25 years.
Image


Took your advice and went this afternoon and got this buck. He was in full rut which surprised me.

Image


Good deal, I'm sure you have plans for some exotic meals.

Re: Deer season

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:06 pm
by True Grit Farms
bball wrote:Nice bucks grit and jo!!! Can't wait to get out there in a few weeks!

Side note: I noticed neither of you field dressed them..you do that back at the house?


Yes we clean, gut and hang at the barn. I have a meat room and Joe has a full blown processing plant.

Re: Deer season

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:45 pm
by Dave
True Grit Farms wrote:
bball wrote:Nice bucks grit and jo!!! Can't wait to get out there in a few weeks!

Side note: I noticed neither of you field dressed them..you do that back at the house?


Yes we clean, gut and hang at the barn. I have a meat room and Joe has a full blown processing plant.


I find it to be a real wrestling match to get one loaded on the quad that has been gutted. I don't think I could get a mature buck loaded guts, feathers, and all on the quad without help. I am pretty certain I couldn't have loaded that big two point by myself. But these northern Mule deer are a lot bigger than your whitetails.

Re: Deer season

Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:57 pm
by Jogeephus
Dave wrote:I find it to be a real wrestling match to get one loaded on the quad that has been gutted. I don't think I could get a mature buck loaded guts, feathers, and all on the quad without help. I am pretty certain I couldn't have loaded that big two point by myself. But these northern Mule deer are a lot bigger than your whitetails.


I sure wouldn't have turned down some help getting mine loaded. That dead limp weight is a chore and makes me feel my age.

Re: Deer season

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:10 am
by Dave
Jogeephus wrote:
Dave wrote:I find it to be a real wrestling match to get one loaded on the quad that has been gutted. I don't think I could get a mature buck loaded guts, feathers, and all on the quad without help. I am pretty certain I couldn't have loaded that big two point by myself. But these northern Mule deer are a lot bigger than your whitetails.


I sure wouldn't have turned down some help getting mine loaded. That dead limp weight is a chore and makes me feel my age.


Last year I shot a medium size 3x4 buck. Walking up to get my quad I ran into the wife's uncle. He is 89. He offered to come help me load the deer up. I turned him down. Told him to stay where he was and I would see if I could run a deer by him. I wish I had taken him up on his offer. Just holding a leg or something while I wrestled the other end would have been good.

Re: Deer season

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:21 pm
by callmefence
True Grit Farms wrote:
bball wrote:Nice bucks grit and jo!!! Can't wait to get out there in a few weeks!

Side note: I noticed neither of you field dressed them..you do that back at the house?


Yes we clean, gut and hang at the barn. I have a meat room and Joe has a full blown processing plant.


Those are nice bucks grit. I found it odd them not being gutted. We generally get out and dress the deer immediately right where it falls. Often climb back in and keep hunting. But I like to gut asap.

Re: Deer season

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:48 pm
by Caustic Burno
Nine year old granddaughter got her first one this evening.
Nice doe at 120 yards long shot for this thicket.

Re: Deer season

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:55 pm
by callmefence
Youth season started this weekend.
One of our lease hunters boy and his first deer
Image