Old deer rifles

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Old deer rifles

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:21 pm

The only reason I bought the .308 was because some of the places I get invited to kind of frown on the smaller calibers. They also require OU shotguns. Makes no sense to me but their place their rules.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:25 pm

Brute 23 wrote:The only reason I bought the .308 was because some of the places I get invited to kind of frown on the smaller calibers. They also require OU shotguns. Makes no sense to me but their place their rules.

I wouldn’t give 15 cents for an OU and I own a Winchester 101.
Place I go has some restrictions as well that don’t make sense including the ammo being Hornady American Whitetail.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

snoopdog
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby snoopdog » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:04 am

Not much on hunting anymore , all my camp buddies are gone, don't care to do the cleaning and butchering . From what I see, it's all about the equipment now, from feeders to camo to MAGNUMS! I like the old calibers and the old rifles and if I have a need for one in a hurry , its the old bluing worn off 94.
0 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:28 am

I'm hunting with a reworked 700 Remington in 280. It's my woods rifle and my favorite rifle. I can't see any rifle being any better for feel or function out to 400 yards.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:02 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:The only reason I bought the .308 was because some of the places I get invited to kind of frown on the smaller calibers. They also require OU shotguns. Makes no sense to me but their place their rules.

Place I go has some restrictions as well that don’t make sense including the ammo being Hornady American Whitetail.

I'll work a deal on that 101 if you want to get rid of it. :D

I get the OU deal. Basically if your not shooting they want it open. Every one, including yourself, can see if you have shells in the gun. I get that. I have seen people pull pumps out of their case with the chamber closed. They slide it back to load the gun and a shell comes out of the magazine tube.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:03 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

I get the OU deal. Basically if your not shooting they want it open. Every one, including yourself, can see if you have shells in the gun. I get that. I have seen people pull pumps out of their case with the chamber closed. They slide it back to load the gun and a shell comes out of the magazine tube.

That's right. The guide can easily see with a group of bird hunters that the guns are safe. Also the guns can be unloaded without running everything through the chamber.
The places that sell package and weekend hunts have another group of hunters coming right behind you. They want deer laid down right there. Drive in get em out. They want to avoid big tracking jobs buggering up large areas.
I've heard of some in the triangle demanding use of 300 win mags.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:06 am

Brute I get the reason behind the shotguns. I just prefer my Winchester 97’s 12’s or Browning pumps.
The Browning and 97 will dump the shells without all that racking crap.
1 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:10 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:I like the modern cartridges. I hunted like a man possessed in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Elk are big animals. I finally settled on a .300 Winchester Magnum. Used handloaded 180 grain nosler partition bullets. I shot a cow through the head at a mere 25 feet but I also shot a six point bull outside Yellowstone near Gardiner, MT at 420 yards. I was in Wyoming for 7 years, I have yet to meet a Pronghorn hunter carrying a 30-30 - which to show how old it is, it means 30 calibre, 30 grains of black powder. I hunted Pronghorn with a Winchester Pre 64 270 with a Shilen match grade SS barrel. I took a Winchester Mod 70 with the full length claw extractor to Africa 4 times in .375 H & H. Give me a modern rifle and modern cartridge. I like every advantage I can get.

Again you show your lack of knowledge it doesn’t stand for 30 grains of black powder but new powder .
It never was a black powder cartridge.
The parent 32-40 was.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-30_Winchester

I believe he is referring to the naming convention at the time and not the actual specifics of the load as it was a breakthrough at the time.

The added -30 stands for the standard load of 30 grains (1.9 g) of early smokeless powder, according to late-19th century American naming conventions for black powder-filled cartridges. Both Marlin and Union Metallic Cartridge Co. also dropped the Winchester appellation, as they did not want to put the name of rival Winchester on their products.[3]
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:10 am

Jogeephus wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:I like the modern cartridges. I hunted like a man possessed in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Elk are big animals. I finally settled on a .300 Winchester Magnum. Used handloaded 180 grain nosler partition bullets. I shot a cow through the head at a mere 25 feet but I also shot a six point bull outside Yellowstone near Gardiner, MT at 420 yards. I was in Wyoming for 7 years, I have yet to meet a Pronghorn hunter carrying a 30-30 - which to show how old it is, it means 30 calibre, 30 grains of black powder. I hunted Pronghorn with a Winchester Pre 64 270 with a Shilen match grade SS barrel. I took a Winchester Mod 70 with the full length claw extractor to Africa 4 times in .375 H & H. Give me a modern rifle and modern cartridge. I like every advantage I can get.

Again you show your lack of knowledge it doesn’t stand for 30 grains of black powder but new powder .
It never was a black powder cartridge.
The parent 32-40 was.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-30_Winchester

I believe he is referring to the naming convention at the time and not the actual specifics of the load as it was a breakthrough at the time. In other words, you are both right in my view.

The added -30 stands for the standard load of 30 grains (1.9 g) of early smokeless powder, according to late-19th century American naming conventions for black powder-filled cartridges. Both Marlin and Union Metallic Cartridge Co. also dropped the Winchester appellation, as they did not want to put the name of rival Winchester on their products.[3]
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:41 am

Marlin actually named it 30-30 as Winchester it came out 30WCF.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:45 am

callmefence wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:

That's right. The guide can easily see with a group of bird hunters that the guns are safe. Also the guns can be unloaded without running everything through the chamber.
The places that sell package and weekend hunts have another group of hunters coming right behind you. They want deer laid down right there. Drive in get em out. They want to avoid big tracking jobs buggering up large areas.

Yup, I know several places that say dont bring a rifle caliber that doesn't start with a 3.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:39 am

Brute 23 wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:

Yup, I know several places that say dont bring a rifle caliber that doesn't start with a 3.

The size of the caliber can't make up for a sorry shot. My uncle wouldn't let anyone hunt that couldn't shoot, and he made you prove it. Then if you wounded a deer and lost it you weren't invited back to hunt, most folks were scared to take a risky shot, I know I was.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:28 pm

Grit I have hunted where a crippled unrecoverable deer is a bought one.
It will stop that playing Qigley right quick.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:16 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Grit I have hunted where a crippled unrecoverable deer is a bought one.

You can't imagine some of the stuff I've seen and heard from some of our hunters. I want out of the pay hunt business but we have folks that have been hunting with us from the beginning and I can't tell them no. We had 6 hunters in camp last weekend, and they killed 3 bucks and 5 does out of 20+ shots.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Grit I have hunted where a crippled unrecoverable deer is a bought one.

That's right. You put blood on the ground you bought it.
I hear somebody talking about shooting a deer at several hundred yards. I know instantly I'm talking to a dumbass.. there's no reason for it.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”