Old deer rifles

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21359
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Old deer rifles

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:23 pm

callmefence wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Grit I have hunted where a crippled unrecoverable deer is a bought one.
It will stop that playing Qigley right quick.


That's right. You put blood on the ground you bought it.
I hear somebody talking about shooting a deer at several hundred yards. I know instantly I'm talking to a dumbass.. there's no reason for it.


The guy where I lease let’s me use my 30-30 he knows I am not shooting over 100 yards.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7151
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia

Re: Old deer rifles

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:24 pm

And here I am trying to hit a coke can at 1200 yards.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3462
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Old deer rifles

Postby callmefence » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:43 pm

kenny thomas wrote:And here I am trying to hit a coke can at 1200 yards.


Nothing wrong with that.. sounds like fun.
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7151
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia

Re: Old deer rifles

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:49 pm

Sure is expensive not to get any meat.
If I was shooting a deer it would probably be at 100 yards or less.
1 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13903
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: heart of dixie

Re: Old deer rifl

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:40 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Marlin actually named it 30-30 as Winchester it came out 30WCF.

My first deer rifle was a 30-30 Marlin, cost me 120.00 back then...put it on layaway...guys around me dogged the Winchester for ejecting the shell out the top..up till then it was a 12 ga.with a pumpkin balls..that 12 ga. Did it all...except when I would use the 22..
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4510
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Old deer rifles

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Image
I'm a dumdazz, the second tower is 585 yards and I give it 10 MOR on my Nightforce scope and let it rip....as long as theres no wind. If theres
a crosswind I won't shoot over 300 yards.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21359
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Old deer rifl

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:46 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Marlin actually named it 30-30 as Winchester it came out 30WCF.

My first deer rifle was a 30-30 Marlin, cost me 120.00 back then...put it on layaway...guys around me dogged the Winchester for ejecting the shell out the top..up till then it was a 12 ga.with a pumpkin balls..that 12 ga. Did it all...except when I would use the 22..

Pumpkin ball hard to beat in the thicket. Went in the woods at daylight with that load.
I am sitting in the back pasture with a Marlin 30-30 right now.
Rut is on and they are giving my electric fence a fit every night.
I actually wonder how they tie the wire up as bad with no tools.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13903
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: heart of dixie

Re: Old deer rif

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
ALACOWMAN wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Marlin actually named it 30-30 as Winchester it came out 30WCF.

My first deer rifle was a 30-30 Marlin, cost me 120.00 back then...put it on layaway...guys around me dogged the Winchester for ejecting the shell out the top..up till then it was a 12 ga.with a pumpkin balls..that 12 ga. Did it all...except when I would use the 22..

Pumpkin ball hard to beat in the thicket. Went in the woods at daylight with that load.
I am sitting in the back pasture with a Marlin 30-30 right now.
Rut is on and they are giving my electric fence a fit every night.
I actually wonder how they tie the wire up as bad with no tools.
they can screw up a Chinese funeral...I'm sure you have too, seen em do things that looked impossible :cowboy:
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6266
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Klickitat County Washington

Re: Old deer rifles

Postby Dave » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:51 pm

Sure a different world that lots of you live in. Paying for deer? Paying for blood? Out here I pay for a hunting license and a deer tag. And there ain't nobody sitting in tree stands.
On the west side of the state shots under 100 yards are the norm. The east side of the state it is much more open and shots in the 200-300 yard area are very common. Yet of the east side I have picked old brass in the hills that said 30WCF. Them old boys must have just worked around until they were closer.
0 x

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2190
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana

Re: Old deer rifl

Postby bball » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:06 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:Marlin actually named it 30-30 as Winchester it came out 30WCF.

My first deer rifle was a 30-30 Marlin, cost me 120.00 back then...put it on layaway...guys around me dogged the Winchester for ejecting the shell out the top..up till then it was a 12 ga.with a pumpkin balls..that 12 ga. Did it all...except when I would use the 22..


Still killing deer with my Marlin..one year anniversary gift from my first wife back in '93. Reliable, cheap shooting gun that has killed some deer over the years.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3462
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Old deer rifles

Postby callmefence » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:33 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Image
I'm a dumdazz, the second tower is 585 yards and I give it 10 MOR on my Nightforce scope and let it rip....as long as theres no wind. If theres
a crosswind I won't shoot over 300 yards.


300 is about my max. And I have to feel really good about it. I prefer under 200.
I've shot a few over 400 back when I was younger and dumber. ;-)
I was a better shot back then to.

I pretty much consider anything I have to hold off the vitals to far. I only shoot mature bucks and doe's. I don't wanna cripple a big buck and I can shoot doe's at 20yards off my porch
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3462
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Old deer rifles

Postby callmefence » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:33 pm

Sorry , double post....
0 x
IF IT AIN'T TIGHT IT AIN'T RIGHT...


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7272
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Old deer rifles

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:10 pm

I don't take the long shots anymore because I don't practice enough.
I used to shoot SD prairie dogs a couple times per year, and doping the wind and distance were not problems.
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4510
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Old deer rifles

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:18 pm

callmefence wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:Image
I'm a dumdazz, the second tower is 585 yards and I give it 10 MOR on my Nightforce scope and let it rip....as long as theres no wind. If theres
a crosswind I won't shoot over 300 yards.


300 is about my max. And I have to feel really good about it. I prefer under 200.
I've shot a few over 400 back when I was younger and dumber. ;-)
I was a better shot back then to.

I pretty much consider anything I have to hold off the vitals to far. I only shoot mature bucks and doe's. I don't wanna cripple a big buck and I can shoot doe's at 20yards off my porch

I can relate to all of that, in the mornings I hunt the woods and try to be scent free in tree stands. In the afternoons I put a pair of scent loc coveralls over what I have on and go sit in a box stand. Your equipment plays a major part in long range shooting, a good range finder and a tactical scope is more important than rifle caliber. A 500 yard head shot on a doe is a chip shot for one of our CT members with a 260 Remington. And a 775 yard head shot is very doable, I've seen the results. It's very humbling how well some folks can shoot.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 46982
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Old deer rifles

Postby dun » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:14 pm

Dave wrote:Sure a different world that lots of you live in. Paying for deer? Paying for blood? Out here I pay for a hunting license and a deer tag. And there ain't nobody sitting in tree stands.
On the west side of the state shots under 100 yards are the norm. The east side of the state it is much more open and shots in the 200-300 yard area are very common. Yet of the east side I have picked old brass in the hills that said 30WCF. Them old boys must have just worked around until they were closer.

You are right, completely different worlds to hunt. But still hunting old logging areas (Kitsap County) and spot and stalk in the east side mountains don;t have much in common either.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle


Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest