Old deer rifles

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
dun
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Old deer rifles

Postby dun » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:48 pm

Last time I carried a 30-30 Model 94 I was duck walking through hog tunnels that didn;t leave enough room to turn around.When I finally got out of the tunnel I put it away and grabbed my 308 and never ventured into the tunnels again
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:06 pm

I love and respect the older cartridges. Have 35 Remingtons in Marlin lever, 4 of those, Remington pump models 14 and 141, and Remington auto models 8 and 81. Never shoot any of them.
When i shoot its a Ruger 77 in 25-06 or a Savage in 6.5x284 Norma.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:17 pm

littletom wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:I think the last deer killed in Illinois with a rifle was with a springfield 1884 trapdoor. :lol:

I lived there for 10 years you might be very surprised, of the things going on

I meant in terms of legally. :lol:
0 x
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:24 pm

kenny thomas wrote:I love and respect the older cartridges. Have 35 Remingtons in Marlin lever, 4 of those, Remington pump models 14 and 141, and Remington auto models 8 and 81. Never shoot any of them.
When i shoot its a Ruger 77 in 25-06 or a Savage in 6.5x284 Norma.

When is the last time you seen a 351 Winchester?
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:38 pm

I know what they are but don't think I ever owned one.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:09 pm

kenny thomas wrote:I know what they are but don't think I ever owned one.

Uncle had one that I used to shoot from time to time.
Cousin still has it, I don’t know if you can still get factory ammo.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:58 pm

For years my rifle was a Ruger 77 30-06. But I have shot a couple deer with a Springfield 03A3 that my dad sportized. My Dad shot deer, elk, and moose with that rifle. My son has it now and it is waiting in line for the oldest grandson. I also use a 300 Win mag for elk. They are a different critter that takes a lot more killing than a deer. For deer I now use a Ruger 77 in 7X57. I have the Winchester model 64 in 30-30 that my Dad bought new in 1940. He shot his second deer with that rifle and a good size pile of them for years. I shot my first 3 deer with it. Every now and then I pack it just for old time sake.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:03 am

There was a time when 30 caliber military surplus rifles were considered too big for deer. Now they are considered too slow. So most of them end up in a gun safe somewhere.
0 x
Stocker Steve

BRYANT
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BRYANT » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:18 am

Bright Raven wrote:I like the modern cartridges. I hunted like a man possessed in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Elk are big animals. I finally settled on a .300 Winchester Magnum. Used handloaded 180 grain nosler partition bullets. I shot a cow through the head at a mere 25 feet but I also shot a six point bull outside Yellowstone near Gardiner, MT at 420 yards. I was in Wyoming for 7 years, I have yet to meet a Pronghorn hunter carrying a 30-30 - which to show how old it is, it means 30 calibre, 30 grains of black powder. I hunted Pronghorn with a Winchester Pre 64 270 with a Shilen match grade SS barrel. I took a Winchester Mod 70 with the full length claw extractor to Africa 4 times in .375 H & H. Give me a modern rifle and modern cartridge. I like every advantage I can get.

The same rifle is not good for all situations you don't use a 30-30 on Pronghorn because its not flat shooting and long range. The 30-30 is a good brush gun and close range gun and has sent a bunch of deer to the freezer. I have killed Elk, Pronghorn, and a bunch of deer with a Rem. 270 , but I also have a 30-30 , .243 , .223 and another .270 . I don't think there is one rifle that is perfect for all situations, at least that gives me reasons to buy new guns.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:35 am

BRYANT wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:I like the modern cartridges. I hunted like a man possessed in Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Elk are big animals. I finally settled on a .300 Winchester Magnum. Used handloaded 180 grain nosler partition bullets. I shot a cow through the head at a mere 25 feet but I also shot a six point bull outside Yellowstone near Gardiner, MT at 420 yards. I was in Wyoming for 7 years, I have yet to meet a Pronghorn hunter carrying a 30-30 - which to show how old it is, it means 30 calibre, 30 grains of black powder. I hunted Pronghorn with a Winchester Pre 64 270 with a Shilen match grade SS barrel. I took a Winchester Mod 70 with the full length claw extractor to Africa 4 times in .375 H & H. Give me a modern rifle and modern cartridge. I like every advantage I can get.

The same rifle is not good for all situations you don't use a 30-30 on Pronghorn because its not flat shooting and long range. The 30-30 is a good brush gun and close range gun and has sent a bunch of deer to the freezer. I have killed Elk, Pronghorn, and a bunch of deer with a Rem. 270 , but I also have a 30-30 , .243 , .223 and another .270 . I don't think there is one rifle that is perfect for all situations, at least that gives me reasons to buy new guns.

The 30-30 has taken everything on the North American continent.
You have to remember when it was introduced it was the flat shooting rifle 2 inches high at 100 was 2 low at 200.
Nothing of the day came close in OTC rifle except the 303 Savage another .308 round. The 35 Remington was the competition of the day. The 303 Savage was a little better round that never became as popular.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:04 am

BRYANT wrote:

I'd like to suggest the .338 Lapua Magnum for your next addition, and then invite me over.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:21 am

BRYANT wrote:I don't think there is one rifle that is perfect for all situations, at least that gives me reasons to buy new guns.

Just keep buying. You will find it! May want to include some drillings.
0 x
Stocker Steve

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:08 pm

Used to see quite a few Model 92’s as kid most where in 44-40 a few 32-20 and 25-20’s.
Haven’t seen anything but new Browning’s in 92 in 44 mag or 357 in years.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:03 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
BRYANT wrote:

The 30-30 has taken everything on the North American continent.

So has a sharpened wooden shaft. In fact, Including the extinct North American Mammoth.

0 x

bbirder
Rancher
Rancher

Postby bbirder » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:54 am

Rem Mod 25 25-20

Wife's grandfather took more than his share of deer with this little rifle.
0 x
"A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years. A bad climbing rope will last you a lifetime."

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”