Jo a 150 yard shot here

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23429
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Jo a 150 yard shot here

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:09 am

SmokinM wrote:No doubt it is fun Jo, I would take all of that fun I could get. What's the farthest you have been successful at?


It is a lot of fun. I've killed them at various distances all over this field but but my best to date was taken a few yards past the mushroom-topped tree in the photo which would be a hair over a thousand yards. This was a chest shot but my current goal is a head shot at this distance. Probably won't pull this off but I'll have fun trying. What's neat is it takes nearly four seconds from shooting till you hear the bullet strike the deer. That's cool business to me.

Here is an old picture of my daughter with her three shot group on a target I have mounted on the mushroom-topped tree that marks the 1000 yard mark in the field. There are 45 more yards of open land past this marker before the thick bedding area so the max in this field is 1045 yards. She's a better shot now but she still doesn't feel comfortable shooting deer past 400 yards but she still gets a big smile on her face when we shoot targets at distance.

I have targets set up at different areas in the field so you can go out and stop at different locations and shoot these targets. It gives a more real-world experience than simply shooting from a bench and by moving around you get different wind conditions and stuff. Beats he77 out of playing golf.


Image
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4537
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Jo a 150 yard shot here

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:59 pm

If I could get a deer to parade around with a metal target I might try a 600+ yd shot. Getting old has really had an effect on my ability to hold the X steady, but my golf game is as good as ever.
Jogeephus, it looks like you put your stamp on her in more ways than one.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47002
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Jo a 150 yard shot here

Postby dun » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:04 pm

The last deer I killed in california was across a canyon lasered afterwards at 403 yards. Wasn;t a particularly big deal. At that time we were shooting jack rabbits out to 300 plus yards 3-4 days a week. That was was 1998. Since I don;r shoot as often and rarely at much distance, I've pretty much gotten leery of anything over 200 yards.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23429
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Jo a 150 yard shot here

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:34 pm

dun wrote:The last deer I killed in california was across a canyon lasered afterwards at 403 yards. Wasn;t a particularly big deal. At that time we were shooting jack rabbits out to 300 plus yards 3-4 days a week. That was was 1998. Since I don;r shoot as often and rarely at much distance, I've pretty much gotten leery of anything over 200 yards.


I agree. I think the key is to shoot often and be familiar with your rifle. Probably the best I've ever shot was after shooting prairie dogs for three days in Montana. The dog town was nearly a mile across and it was during a drought so you could see where your bullet hit and really see the trajectory and how the winds were effecting the bullet. I'd like to go back and do that again.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28263
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Jo a 150 yard shot here

Postby TexasBred » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:04 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:If I could get a deer to parade around with a metal target I might try a 600+ yd shot. Getting old has really had an effect on my ability to hold the X steady, but my golf game is as good as ever.
Jogeephus, it looks like you put your stamp on her in more ways than one.

Mine too Grit......it never was worth a shyt. :lol: :lol2:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47002
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Jo a 150 yard shot here

Postby dun » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Jogeephus wrote:
dun wrote:The last deer I killed in california was across a canyon lasered afterwards at 403 yards. Wasn;t a particularly big deal. At that time we were shooting jack rabbits out to 300 plus yards 3-4 days a week. That was was 1998. Since I don;r shoot as often and rarely at much distance, I've pretty much gotten leery of anything over 200 yards.


I agree. I think the key is to shoot often and be familiar with your rifle. Probably the best I've ever shot was after shooting prairie dogs for three days in Montana. The dog town was nearly a mile across and it was during a drought so you could see where your bullet hit and really see the trajectory and how the winds were effecting the bullet. I'd like to go back and do that again.

I never knew a rifle as well as I did my 308 when that was the only rifle I had. I shot jack rabbits and coyotes with it a couple of times a week. The last couple of deer I killed with it I didn;t even recall aiming. Saw them and decided I wanted them and they were laying on the ground.
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 21399
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Jo a 150 yard shot here

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:14 pm

dun wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:
dun wrote:The last deer I killed in california was across a canyon lasered afterwards at 403 yards. Wasn;t a particularly big deal. At that time we were shooting jack rabbits out to 300 plus yards 3-4 days a week. That was was 1998. Since I don;r shoot as often and rarely at much distance, I've pretty much gotten leery of anything over 200 yards.


I agree. I think the key is to shoot often and be familiar with your rifle. Probably the best I've ever shot was after shooting prairie dogs for three days in Montana. The dog town was nearly a mile across and it was during a drought so you could see where your bullet hit and really see the trajectory and how the winds were effecting the bullet. I'd like to go back and do that again.

I never knew a rifle as well as I did my 308 when that was the only rifle I had. I shot jack rabbits and coyotes with it a couple of times a week. The last couple of deer I killed with it I didn;t even recall aiming. Saw them and decided I wanted them and they were laying on the ground.


Dun my old Model 94 was like that thing would drive tacks, had a 26” barrel 1 in 10 twist. If you could see it here in East Texas it was in range.
Gave it to my youngest son few years back.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

User avatar
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 23429
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: South Georgia

Re: Jo a 150 yard shot here

Postby Jogeephus » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:17 am

dun wrote:I never knew a rifle as well as I did my 308 when that was the only rifle I had. I shot jack rabbits and coyotes with it a couple of times a week. The last couple of deer I killed with it I didn;t even recall aiming. Saw them and decided I wanted them and they were laying on the ground.


I think in basketball they refer this to going into the zone. Don't know what they call it in shooting but I call it going into kill mode.

There is an old story here about a fella who was a crack shot on quail. He never missed and would like to make bets and he always won till one day a fella bested him after whispering something to him and leading him to miss nearly every bird he shot at. Later some people asked the guy who bested him what he said to him and the guy just said, "I asked him if he shot with both eyes open or one closed".

True or not, I always liked this tale because it perfectly describes what you are referring to.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47002
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Jo a 150 yard shot here

Postby dun » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:18 am

Jogeephus wrote:
dun wrote:I never knew a rifle as well as I did my 308 when that was the only rifle I had. I shot jack rabbits and coyotes with it a couple of times a week. The last couple of deer I killed with it I didn;t even recall aiming. Saw them and decided I wanted them and they were laying on the ground.


I think in basketball they refer this to going into the zone. Don't know what they call it in shooting but I call it going into kill mode.

There is an old story here about a fella who was a crack shot on quail. He never missed and would like to make bets and he always won till one day a fella bested him after whispering something to him and leading him to miss nearly every bird he shot at. Later some people asked the guy who bested him what he said to him and the guy just said, "I asked him if he shot with both eyes open or one closed".

True or not, I always liked this tale because it perfectly describes what you are referring to.

Screwing with ones head can sometimes have that affect
There also the old saw of "Beware of the man with only one gun"
1 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
Ryder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5476
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:30 am
Location: Southeast Louisiana (Rep. of W. Fla.)

Re: Jo a 150 yard shot here

Postby Ryder » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:50 pm

Jogeephus wrote:[quote="dun
I think in basketball they refer this to going into the zone. Don't know what they call it in shooting but I call it going into kill mode. .


If I am not mistaken it is a ZEN thing. Of course the word has been westernized.
1 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

SmokinM
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 500
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:14 pm

Re: Jo a 150 yard shot here

Postby SmokinM » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:11 pm

That's great Jo, and good for you teaching that girl to shoot like that. It will keep the boys honest. I always thought I would like to shoot 1,000 yard match but don't have that kind of time and money.

Sight picture, breathing and trigger pull have to be reflex to shoot well. The man with one gun who carries it like it is a part of him, watch out.
1 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4537
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Jo a 150 yard shot here

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:29 am

SmokinM wrote:That's great Jo, and good for you teaching that girl to shoot like that. It will keep the boys honest. I always thought I would like to shoot 1,000 yard match but don't have that kind of time and money.

Sight picture, breathing and trigger pull have to be reflex to shoot well. The man with one gun who carrier it like it is a part of him, watch out.

That's a old wives tale. A long range scope isn't worth a hoot at 30 yds and a 26+ inch barrel stinks in a tree stand.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.


Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests