Chacma Baboons

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Chacma Baboons

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:49 am

I thought I would share this. I was chatting with a user in PM and was talking about Victoria Falls on the Zambezi between Zimbabwe and Zambia. We were talking about African artifacts and culture. He mentioned the intricate baskets that previously were on display in a Georgia Museum.

I mentioned walking around Victoria Falls and the vendors were sitting on the ground along the sidewalks weaving baskets and selling them.

It brought up the subject of Chacma Baboons. The males can get up close to 100 pounds. They are ferocious. They attack leopards in packs and usually come out ahead. Here is a look at their caninies:

As you get toward the falls away from the main lodge, the Chacma line the trails. They have learned that tourist carry food and that if they charge them, they will usually drop it. However, if the tourist holds on, they have been known to maul them. Call it Baboon Trick or Treat.

To control this behavior, a Park employee does a reconnaissance of the trails on a regular basis armed with a shotgun. The most aggressive baboons are put down.
0 x

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Re: Chacma Baboons

Postby cowgirl8 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:56 am

So glad we don't have them here...
Possums have big dinosaur teeth so it makes you wonder why they are so helpless...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Postby M.Magis » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:33 am

I bet if tourists were all provided with a can of bear spray, the baboons would change their ways.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:20 am

Bright Raven wrote:I thought I would share this. I was chatting with a user in PM and was talking about Victoria Falls on the Zambezi between Zimbabwe and Zambia. We were talking about African artifacts and culture. He mentioned the intricate baskets that previously were on display in a Georgia Museum.

I mentioned walking around Victoria Falls and the vendors were sitting on the ground along the sidewalks weaving baskets and selling them.

It brought up the subject of Chacma Baboons. The males can get up close to 100 pounds. They are ferocious. They attack leopards in packs and usually come out ahead. Here is a look at their caninies:

As you get toward the falls away from the main lodge, the Chacma line the trails. They have learned that tourist carry food and that if they charge them, they will usually drop it. However, if the tourist holds on, they have been known to maul them. Call it Baboon Trick or Treat.

To control this behavior, a Park employee does a reconnaissance of the trails on a regular basis armed with a shotgun. The most aggressive baboons are put down.

10 bucks says grits already emailed his resume.
1 x
Everyone wants to have a place. Only a few are willing to put in the work it takes.
Red

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:23 am

callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:I thought I would share this. I was chatting with a user in PM and was talking about Victoria Falls on the Zambezi between Zimbabwe and Zambia. We were talking about African artifacts and culture. He mentioned the intricate baskets that previously were on display in a Georgia Museum.

10 bucks says grits already emailed his resume.

If he waits for a behind the ear shot, he is going to have a close encounter, up close and personal with a distant relative.
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:57 pm

We have baboons here in the US as well but here they just post their name and number and demand that you come to them.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:05 pm

Sands of the Kalahari
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:28 pm

ga.prime wrote:Sands of the Kalahari

Saw that many many years ago.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:40 pm

I keep hearing a baby crying... :roll:
0 x
Everyone wants to have a place. Only a few are willing to put in the work it takes.
Red

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:50 pm

We need these park employees patrolling the streets in our major cities. Do baboons riot?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:52 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:

We need these park employees patrolling the streets in our major cities. Do baboons riot?

They do in a sense. Very pack orientated.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:54 pm

Sounds like the same animal, just a different species.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

CSM
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby CSM » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:25 pm

I have a friend that has been to Zimbabwe 3 times in the last 18 months hunting but he hasn't mentioned these things.
0 x
Militia of one.

bball
GURU
GURU

Postby bball » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:02 pm

Any idea what there strength to body weight ratio Is? I imagine they're quite strong.
0 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:32 pm

bball wrote:Any idea what there strength to body weight ratio Is? I imagine they're quite strong.

Brad,

I suspect baboons are rated toward the top of the mammalian class in strength but the chimpanzees are considered one of the strongest mammals. The hyena has the most pounds per square inch jaw strength. Primates are strong. Homo sapiens are the only primate that deliberately demonstrates strength but that is more a specialty. As a species we are one of the weaker primates. The least shrew is considered the most ferocious mammal. They might only have the weight of a dime coin but they will take on others 10 times their size.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”