Deer season to long

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
callmefence
GURU
GURU

Re: Deer season to long

Postby callmefence » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:04 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Image

Here's the buck that made me quit bow hunting. A perfect shot the broad head and 6" of arrow was still stuck in the off shoulder. Found it turkey hunting, was sure hoping he made it.

Exactly
Even a well hit deer with a bow can cover enough ground to be lost. That's a once in a lifetime buck for most. Would have been dead where he was standing with a rifle.
0 x
A good wire fence is like a tight skirt. It protects the goods without blocking the view.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:31 pm

Someone mentioned opening the deer season year round reminds me that my father told me that back when he was young there was a short season for squirrel hunting, and it was a big deal. Everyone was in the woods for opening day. Then they opened it up to year round, and now very few people in my part of the country hunt them.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

CSM
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby CSM » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Deer are nothing but large varmits to me but they make good dog food for winter months. I am always glad when it and all of the problems it brings is over.
2 x
Militia of one.

SchenkAngusFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby SchenkAngusFarm » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:12 pm

Dave wrote:
callmefence wrote:
Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
I gave up gun hunting a few years ago. It's amazing how close you can get to critters when you need to. ;-)

Opposite here. I gave up bow hunting several years ago. I've killed several big deer with a bow. But when I shot a giant through the hams that jumped the string and never recovered it. ( I made a perfect shot, the deer moved before the arrow got there) I decided this is not for me. I got no problem with someone hunting with a bow ,spear whatever. But I'll take a modern rifle.

I have never heard of one in a deer, but I know of a bunch of elk shot during rifle season that had a broadhead stuck in it somewhere. The son's bull this year had a broadhead stuck in one of the bones in its neck. The Indians gave up using the bow when the white man came along with a rifle.

I shot a doe at the beginning of the year with my bow. Broadhead crushed her front left shoulder but didn't penetrate like it should have. It paralyzed her front and I finished her off but that probably 30 seconds to draw another arrow felt like a year. It was exactly what I was trying to do and my equipment failed me.

I've made that shot a lot of times with an instant finish and this time it failed me. I still feel bad about it.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”