Deer season to long

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Deer season to long

Postby callmefence » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:13 am

Counting bow season and youth season... October 1 to January 21. For those who have to work around hunters that's four months we have to deal with them. I can understand not wanting a bunch of fence builders around but most deer hunters are convinced deer are terrified of cows. If that was the case they would starve to death. I can't count the times I've had to wait to shoot because cows where in the way.
I'm just saying.... with the demand for hunting leases around here. I'm redoing contracts next year.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 870
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm
Location: west MI

Re: Deer season to long

Postby ez14. » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:19 am

Well for the most part I don't have to work around them so that's probably why I see it a little different but I rather it was as long as needed to cut down the population some!
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Deer season to long

Postby callmefence » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:21 am

ez14. wrote:Well for the most part I don't have to work around them so that's probably why I see it a little different but I rather it was as long as needed to cut down the population some!


Maybe make it year round they wouldn't get so uptight.. I'd be fine with that.
2 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Deer season to long

Postby callmefence » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:23 am

callmefence wrote:
ez14. wrote:Well for the most part I don't have to work around them so that's probably why I see it a little different but I rather it was as long as needed to cut down the population some!


Maybe make it year round they wouldn't get so uptight.. I'd be fine with that.


Dam ez..where you been buddy..? Great to see you back.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22558
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Deer season to long

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:33 am

callmefence wrote:
ez14. wrote:Well for the most part I don't have to work around them so that's probably why I see it a little different but I rather it was as long as needed to cut down the population some!


Maybe make it year round they wouldn't get so uptight.. I'd be fine with that.



Most around here are year around.
Hog hunting in the off season seems to be a draw.
The Houston crowd invaded us from bow season through thanksgiving.
Then they vanish until March or April and a few hog hunters start showing back up.
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Deer season to long

Postby callmefence » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:41 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
callmefence wrote:
ez14. wrote:Well for the most part I don't have to work around them so that's probably why I see it a little different but I rather it was as long as needed to cut down the population some!


Maybe make it year round they wouldn't get so uptight.. I'd be fine with that.



Most around here are year around.
Hog hunting in the off season seems to be a draw.
The Houston crowd invaded us from bow season through thanksgiving.
Then they vanish until March or April and a few hog hunters start showing back up.


We lease year round with the stipulation that if they don't keep the hogs down we will bring in someone who can. They only start bitching during deer season.
The exception is a place I have subleased to a group of retired school teachers from Burnet. These old guys have some savy. I can run cows all over them it doesn't bother them a bit. It's the yuppie hunters from Austin.... which most of em are.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6799
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Deer season to long

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:41 am

I'd hate to have a fence builder in the woods trying to work, while I'm trying to hunt. I know the rut is wide open in south Texas right now is it that way where you are? Cows don't bother the deer if the cows are there all the time. If you rotate cows into a new area it screws the deer up for a few days for sure. Deer are worth a lot of money, so I try and keep the cows out of the woods when I have hunters.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 870
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm
Location: west MI

Re: Deer season to long

Postby ez14. » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:46 am

callmefence wrote:
ez14. wrote:Well for the most part I don't have to work around them so that's probably why I see it a little different but I rather it was as long as needed to cut down the population some!


Maybe make it year round they wouldn't get so uptight.. I'd be fine with that.

I could go for that :nod:

Oh I've just been busy! Over the summer I was working 65 to 75 hours a week and just wasn't coming up with the time to get over here
1 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Deer season to long

Postby callmefence » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:08 am

True Grit Farms wrote:I'd hate to have a fence builder in the woods trying to work, while I'm trying to hunt. I know the rut is wide open in south Texas right now is it that way where you are? Cows don't bother the deer if the cows are there all the time. If you rotate cows into a new area it screws the deer up for a few days for sure. Deer are worth a lot of money, so I try and keep the cows out of the woods when I have hunters.

The place im venting about this morning.
I've actually got it in my contract where we can move in a month after gun season. The cows are held in a 70 acre lot during season and I try to keep them there for the entire season. We're running out of water and feather's got ruffled at us moving in the cows. I reminded them of the contract, then said don't worry about it. I'll figure something out. I'm not going to have anyone say I did em wrong. I'll either haul water or move cows....and tighten things up next year.
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11695
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Deer season to long

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:19 am

You don't want to hear this, but my hunter only came for 3 days this year. Last year for 5. I make sure my hunter is as far away from my place as is geophracally possible. That alone limits the amount of time they are here.

I advertised mine on a bowhunting sight. That was like 7 or 8 years ago. I still get calls pretty regular. You might try that route. My experience is that bow hunters are usually pretty classy guys.
2 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22558
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: Deer season to long

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:06 am

callmefence wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:I'd hate to have a fence builder in the woods trying to work, while I'm trying to hunt. I know the rut is wide open in south Texas right now is it that way where you are? Cows don't bother the deer if the cows are there all the time. If you rotate cows into a new area it screws the deer up for a few days for sure. Deer are worth a lot of money, so I try and keep the cows out of the woods when I have hunters.

The place im venting about this morning.
I've actually got it in my contract where we can move in a month after gun season. The cows are held in a 70 acre lot during season and I try to keep them there for the entire season. We're running out of water and feather's got ruffled at us moving in the cows. I reminded them of the contract, then said don't worry about it. I'll figure something out. I'm not going to have anyone say I did em wrong. I'll either haul water or move cows....and tighten things up next year.


You must have some real whiners.
I managed the lease across the road for years. It can make you hate a deer hunter that leases hunting rights that thinks he owns the place.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1721
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Deer season to long

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:58 pm

callmefence wrote:Counting bow season and youth season... October 1 to January 21. For those who have to work around hunters that's four months we have to deal with them. I can understand not wanting a bunch of fence builders around but most deer hunters are convinced deer are terrified of cows. If that was the case they would starve to death. I can't count the times I've had to wait to shoot because cows where in the way.
I'm just saying.... with the demand for hunting leases around here. I'm redoing contracts next year.


I drove right up to 3 does and a buck Friday evening with my post driver. Was within 10 yards before moved 10 steps out of my way.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4508
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Deer season to long

Postby callmefence » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:39 pm

Farm Fence Solutions wrote:
callmefence wrote:Counting bow season and youth season... October 1 to January 21. For those who have to work around hunters that's four months we have to deal with them. I can understand not wanting a bunch of fence builders around but most deer hunters are convinced deer are terrified of cows. If that was the case they would starve to death. I can't count the times I've had to wait to shoot because cows where in the way.
I'm just saying.... with the demand for hunting leases around here. I'm redoing contracts next year.


I drove right up to 3 does and a buck Friday evening with my post driver. Was within 10 yards before moved 10 steps out of my way.



The only way this bunch of wing nuts would believe that is if it was wrapped in mossyoak and ran on deer pizz.
1 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7193
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Deer season to long

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:45 pm

I both run cattle and lease to deer hunt. I would not lease a place where I did not have the cattle. Most people over stock their places, especially lease places, and it effects all the wildlife.

We move the cattle in to a small pasture during deer season and turn them back out when it's done so we don't have to deal with them while hunting. We also run a very conservative number on that property. You can tell a difference in the wildlife compared to the neighbors. Cattle and deer compete for the same forage. Cattle are a great tool to manage the landscape when's it's done correctly... Most people dont.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7193
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: Deer season to long

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:53 pm

Some thing to keep in mind is a lot of the guys who pay for the hunting leases won't bat one eye at buying out a cattle lease on good hunting ground if they need to in order to prevent issues. Here deer pay more than cattle so you either take both or play nice... the cattle guy will get the short end of the stick if push comes to shove.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain


Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests