High school sports?

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Re: High school sports?

Postby Ouachita » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:04 pm

kenny thomas wrote:It's odd how different it is here. I live within 10 mile's of 2 high schools and have never been to a football game. Very rare that I even know there is a game. A couple hundred people would be a big crowd here.

You aren't alone. I never understood the fascination with most sports that involve balls. Lead balls I get, but this can also be considered an art.
There is precious little time in this life to scramble around like a bunch of chickens on a June bug.
0 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

f1tiger
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby f1tiger » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:46 pm

Yes Canadian Texas knows how to play football very well . Congrats to the players,parents & coaches as y'all have represented North Texas very well,now hopefully we can see all texas classifications girl sports get the recognition they truly deserve
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:04 pm

Ouachita wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:It's odd how different it is here. I live within 10 mile's of 2 high schools and have never been to a football game. Very rare that I even know there is a game. A couple hundred people would be a big crowd here.

You aren't alone. I never understood the fascination with most sports that involve balls. Lead balls I get, but this can also be considered an art.
There is precious little time in this life to scramble around like a bunch of chickens on a June bug.

I'm betting you never played any of these sports either. A lot of things athletes do with that little ball might be considered art. Everybody has their own opinion on things and that's good.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:41 pm

My buddy did say, that football would survive. I can see how the other sports would move that direction. Here, little league baseball, and junior pro basketball is only utilized by families that cant afford joining a travel team.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Postby Ouachita » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:15 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Ouachita wrote:

I'm betting you never played any of these sports either. A lot of things athletes do with that little ball might be considered art. Everybody has their own opinion on things and that's good.

I did play football, basketball, and baseball in junior high and high school. I enjoyed it, and I agree there is an art to being good. You are correct regarding opinions; I expected my opinion was implied. I don't expect others to share the same opinion.
These sports, and the level of attention that is demanded of the viewer have changed so much since those days, it has changed my appreciation for same. I'd like to watch a good game without all the drama which precedes, and the soap opera style fallout. Many folks are abandoning major league sports for various reasons. I bailed 20 years ago. I still like to watch a local high school game, and participate in youth games.
I did not intend to come off as if I'm anti-sports. I have found much better avenues to spend time with and for those close to me, as well as myself.

I would be interested in knowing the time spent and the dollar amount that people collectively spend in this country, just to watch, not play themselves. It is my opinion this nation would be much better off if we all , myself included, redirected that time and $$ to parenting.
2 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:55 pm

Just so you don't think I'm against football I'm not, but none of the sports are real popular here. I go to elementary basketball games because i have nieces that play but otherwise never think about it.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:56 am

kenny thomas wrote:

Just so you don't think I'm against football I'm not, but none of the sports are real popular here. I go to elementary basketball games because i have nieces that play but otherwise never think about it.

Amazing how the communities support the kids in all the small communities around here. There are no large cities close by so everything is from 400 folks up to 15-18,000. But you can go to almost any function involving athletics, band, fund raisers of any kind held by a school organization and there will be huge crowds relatively speaking. They may not give a dam about football or buying a chocolate cake at auction but they do care about the kids and appreciate the lessons learned from hard work, competition, winning and yes LOSING.
1 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:08 am

TexasBred wrote:
kenny thomas wrote:

Amazing how the communities support the kids in all the small communities around here. There are no large cities close by so everything is from 400 folks up to 15-18,000. But you can go to almost any function involving athletics, band, fund raisers of any kind held by a school organization and there will be huge crowds relatively speaking. They may not give a dam about football or buying a chocolate cake at auction but they do care about the kids and appreciate the lessons learned from hard work, competition, winning and yes LOSING.

Sports kept my kids busy, and I feel it helped us bond and kept them off the streets. We see kids all the time that WE played ball with and they all come over and talk and bs. A couple got side tracked but for the most part everyone did OK.
2 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:44 am

Before I start, I must come clean. I enjoy sports. I watch sports. I played sports. My son plays sports and I encourage it. Yes, I am an academic, I can't help it, that's the house I grew up in. Nothing bothers me more with our educational system than the time, money and effort spent on school sports. We as a society wonder why our kids are falling behind in the world, and yet we completely turn a blind eye to the massive amount of time and money our schools, parents and society have spent on sports. I work with several people who have children playing travel sports that have told me they spend every weekend on the road and over $10K/year to travel and participate. Another woman I know has 3 kids in gymnastics spending $1,500/month on lessons and then countless other thousands of dollars on events. The financial toll that it is taking on parents is pretty large. I know the gymnastics kids and the physical toll it takes on them is pretty severe. I have heard all the rhetoric about what sports teach kids, but I will say that you can have the best team player in the workforce, but if they don't have the education to perform the job, it becomes a moot point.

Also, I know that sports offer some kids an education that they would never receive. But how many of those kids actually get an education out of sports? The reality is not that many.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-odds-o ... ge-sports/

For a fantastic read, that's almost 30 years old, I suggest Friday Night Lights. Another more recent account is King of Sports that details the racket the NCAA and NFL have created with the illusion that it does anything other than line their pockets.
2 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:22 am

Bestoutwest wrote:Before I start, I must come clean. I enjoy sports. I watch sports. I played sports. My son plays sports and I encourage it. Yes, I am an academic, I can't help it, that's the house I grew up in. Nothing bothers me more with our educational system than the time, money and effort spent on school sports. We as a society wonder why our kids are falling behind in the world, and yet we completely turn a blind eye to the massive amount of time and money our schools, parents and society have spent on sports. I work with several people who have children playing travel sports that have told me they spend every weekend on the road and over $10K/year to travel and participate. Another woman I know has 3 kids in gymnastics spending $1,500/month on lessons and then countless other thousands of dollars on events. The financial toll that it is taking on parents is pretty large. I know the gymnastics kids and the physical toll it takes on them is pretty severe. I have heard all the rhetoric about what sports teach kids, but I will say that you can have the best team player in the workforce, but if they don't have the education to perform the job, it becomes a moot point.

Also, I know that sports offer some kids an education that they would never receive. But how many of those kids actually get an education out of sports? The reality is not that many.

For a fantastic read, that's almost 30 years old, I suggest Friday Night Lights. Another more recent account is King of Sports that details the racket the NCAA and NFL have created with the illusion that it does anything other than line their pockets.

I agree. As the cliche, you express your priorities more by what you do, than what you say.
1 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:24 am

Bestoutwest wrote:Before I start, I must come clean. I enjoy sports. I watch sports. I played sports. My son plays sports and I encourage it. Yes, I am an academic, I can't help it, that's the house I grew up in. Nothing bothers me more with our educational system than the time, money and effort spent on school sports. We as a society wonder why our kids are falling behind in the world, and yet we completely turn a blind eye to the massive amount of time and money our schools, parents and society have spent on sports. I work with several people who have children playing travel sports that have told me they spend every weekend on the road and over $10K/year to travel and participate. Another woman I know has 3 kids in gymnastics spending $1,500/month on lessons and then countless other thousands of dollars on events. The financial toll that it is taking on parents is pretty large. I know the gymnastics kids and the physical toll it takes on them is pretty severe. I have heard all the rhetoric about what sports teach kids, but I will say that you can have the best team player in the workforce, but if they don't have the education to perform the job, it becomes a moot point.

Sometimes one year with the right coach can teach a kid more than he'd ever learn in a lifetime with his sorry a$$ parents. I don't agree with all of these "select teams" or travel teams as y'all call them or going in debt so your little fat daughter can take gymnastics but you'll never change the mindset of those types of people. Best your talking about going to school because you're a good athlete...I'm talking about going to school and becoming a good citizen from the lessons you learned from a good guy who donated his time to coach.
4 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:19 pm

TexasBred wrote:Sometimes one year with the right coach can teach a kid more than he'd ever learn in a lifetime with his sorry a$$ parents. I don't agree with all of these "select teams" or travel teams as y'all call them or going in debt so your little fat daughter can take gymnastics but you'll never change the mindset of those types of people. Best your talking about going to school because you're a good athlete...I'm talking about going to school and becoming a good citizen from the lessons you learned from a good guy who donated his time to coach.

I won't disagree with that, and it can be a great opportunity for a child to have a positive role model in their life. However, when we have high school stadiums that are larger and better than MOST college venues, we are teaching children that sports are king, the athletes are royalty, to devote thyself to a lifetime of worship to someone, or the something-ie sports, who is good at something that basically doesn't matter in the world (except for a generator of massive amounts of capital), and that the classroom education, which will literally put food on their table, doesn't matter as much as other children running around. I see absolutely no problem in town sports. Our son is signed up for basketball league and will do baseball again this year, but he is a grade ahead of his peers AND in the gifted and talented program. Which will carry him further in life?
2 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:04 pm

Just got done reading this thread.
I thought it was going to be about Houston Texans football.

(What the heck is 'travel ball'?)
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:22 pm

greybeard wrote:Just got done reading this thread.
I thought it was going to be about Houston Texans football.

(What the heck is 'travel ball'?)

Let me know too when you find out. I hear some using the word "Select ball" up here meaning you are selected because of your skills and put on a team of other little smart a$$ cocky kids and travel to tournaments all the time and play baseball, basketball, volleyball etc. Cost a heck of a lot of money too.
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:23 pm

greybeard wrote:(What the heck is 'travel ball'?)

It is a team that plays in organized tournaments and games. They are for "better" players and play all over the place. A lady I work with said she spent $10K one year taking her kid around. It's quite the racket.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”