High school sports?

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: High school sports?

Postby greybeard » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:20 pm

Sounds like kid beauty pageant kind of thing, but for jocks.
2 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:34 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Sometimes one year with the right coach can teach a kid more than he'd ever learn in a lifetime with his sorry a$$ parents. I don't agree with all of these "select teams" or travel teams as y'all call them or going in debt so your little fat daughter can take gymnastics but you'll never change the mindset of those types of people. Best your talking about going to school because you're a good athlete...I'm talking about going to school and becoming a good citizen from the lessons you learned from a good guy who donated his time to coach.

I won't disagree with that, and it can be a great opportunity for a child to have a positive role model in their life. However, when we have high school stadiums that are larger and better than MOST college venues, we are teaching children that sports are king, the athletes are royalty, to devote thyself to a lifetime of worship to someone, or the something-ie sports, who is good at something that basically doesn't matter in the world (except for a generator of massive amounts of capital), and that the classroom education, which will literally put food on their table, doesn't matter as much as other children running around. I see absolutely no problem in town sports. Our son is signed up for basketball league and will do baseball again this year, but he is a grade ahead of his peers AND in the gifted and talented program. Which will carry him further in life?[/quote]
Sports teach skills you can't learn in a school book. It called the school of hard knocks and winning or losing. You get knocked down you get back up. If someone is bigger or better you work harder. Those that play to win are winners, and those that don't care one way or the other usually work for someone else and don't give a darn. And someone who doesn't care if they lose is a loser.
Sports teach you how to lead, school teaches you how to follow.
1 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:21 pm

Some things gained by participating in organized sports are often not immediately seen. Besides burning energy that may keep some out of trouble, a good coach can see the strengths of a youngster and in pursuing them give that person confidence never obtained otherwise. Sports teaches the participant to anticipate. It's a skill used in every area of life. Helps us to be safe in the decisions we make. Teaches the value of working hard, delayed gratification, accepting responsibility for choices, being timely, being humble, appreciating someone who pushes you further than you think you can go.

How do you put a dollar value on these lessons?

There's more to in then scoring points.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:22 pm

I don't want to sound like I'm against sports,but they are kinda overblown. They play/practice 11 plus months out of the year. We all need to be well rounded. Putting that much commitment to one thing, chokes out other things. When I was in school,if you farmed, coach would let you start football in August. It was over by October. Also, some of this cross training stuff kids are doing, is going to wreck their backs.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:42 am

Bigfoot wrote:I don't want to sound like I'm against sports,but they are kinda overblown. They play/practice 11 plus months out of the year. We all need to be well rounded. Putting that much commitment to one thing, chokes out other things. When I was in school,if you farmed, coach would let you start football in August. It was over by October. Also, some of this cross training stuff kids are doing, is going to wreck their backs.

How do you feel about roping and rodeo? Seems those type events require a ton of practice and come with a fair amount of risk to one's health.
4 x
It's the ECONOMY stupid!

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:44 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I don't want to sound like I'm against sports,but they are kinda overblown. They play/practice 11 plus months out of the year. We all need to be well rounded. Putting that much commitment to one thing, chokes out other things. When I was in school,if you farmed, coach would let you start football in August. It was over by October. Also, some of this cross training stuff kids are doing, is going to wreck their backs.

How do you feel about roping and rodeo? Seems those type events require a ton of practice and come with a fair amount of risk to one's health.

They are individual sports. Practiced when you want. In our case, after other chores etc are done. We don't need permission to take trips, or miss practice that sort of thing. Rough stock is dangerous for sure. I'd be fibbing if said roping wasn't. Barrels and poles have risk as well. The type of workout I'm referencing in my post was a 14 year old kids flipping a tractor tire around. Dead lifts and the such. The way kids da are lifting, and the type of workouts they are doing, is quit concerning to the medical field. My kids run 2 miles a day. Do push-ups, pull ups, and sit ups. Nobody is on free weights.
1 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:50 am

Bigfoot wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

They are individual sports. Practiced when you want. In our case, after other chores etc are done. We don't need permission to take trips, or miss practice that sort of thing. Rough stock is dangerous for sure. I'd be fibbing if said roping wasn't. Barrels and poles have risk as well. The type of workout I'm referencing in my post was a 14 year old kids flipping a tractor tire around. Dead lifts and the such. The way kids da are lifting, and the type of workouts they are doing, is quit concerning to the medical field. My kids run 2 miles a day. Do push-ups, pull ups, and sit ups. Nobody is on free weights.

I'll stick to flipping tires and you are welcome to keep flipping calves. Isn't it great we live in a country that allows everyone to pursue their dreams?
2 x
It's the ECONOMY stupid!

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:20 am

True Grit Farms wrote: those that don't care one way or the other usually work for someone else and don't give a darn.

So you're telling me that the top neurosurgeon in my organization, who made over $1,000,000 last year, is a loser because he chooses to work for someone else? Or the surgeon who did my foot, who probably makes close to $500,000/year, is a loser because he works for a firm that isn't his own? Or Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein who made $23,000,000 last year. Yes, he's the CEO, but technically he works for someone other than himself, so he must be a loser. So, please, tell me how these people are losers because they work for someone else. I'd love to hear it. :pop:
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:22 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

The reality is the human body has a limited shelf life-I see it every day. There are stories about people who do nothing their entire lives and live to 100 and people who run 10 miles every day having a massive coronary at 50 and that's the end. Then you have folks who abuse their body physically every day and have no problems at 80 and others that do the same that are crippled up at 35. You never know, so you do what's fun and you pay the price. In the end, if you had enough fun, you have nothing to complain about.
1 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:26 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

I'll stick to flipping tires and you are welcome to keep flipping calves. Isn't it great we live in a country that allows everyone to pursue their dreams?

Yeah. This is the land of plenty.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:01 am

Bestoutwest wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote: those that don't care one way or the other usually work for someone else and don't give a darn.

So you're telling me that the top neurosurgeon in my organization, who made over $1,000,000 last year, is a loser because he chooses to work for someone else? Or the surgeon who did my foot, who probably makes close to $500,000/year, is a loser because he works for a firm that isn't his own? Or Goldman Sachs CEO Lloyd Blankfein who made $23,000,000 last year. Yes, he's the CEO, but technically he works for someone other than himself, so he must be a loser. So, please, tell me how these people are losers because they work for someone else. I'd love to hear it. :pop:

For starters I didn't say that, this is what I said, and stand by it 100% "And someone who doesn't care if they lose is a loser." I played sports with quite a few very successful people and only a couple that actually made it by playing a game. And not a single one liked to lose at anything, and as a matter of fact they were leaders and still are. Individual sports teach you to go out and get it, and don't depend on someone else. Team sports teach you how to get along and the need to trust your teammates. Sports are a win win deal for life, show me someone who doesn't want to win and they are losers. And it doesn't matter how much money someone has if their a loser.
1 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:38 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:

For starters I didn't say that, this is what I said, and stand by it 100% "And someone who doesn't care if they lose is a loser." I played sports with quite a few very successful people and only a couple that actually made it by playing a game. And not a single one liked to lose at anything, and as a matter of fact they were leaders and still are. Individual sports teach you to go out and get it, and don't depend on someone else. Team sports teach you how to get along and the need to trust your teammates. Sports are a win win deal for life, show me someone who doesn't want to win and they are losers. And it doesn't matter how much money someone has if their a loser.

You said, and I quote here: Those that play to win are winners, and those that don't care one way or the other usually work for someone else and don't give a darn. And someone who doesn't care if they lose is a loser.

ie, those that work for someone else, essentially are losers b/c they don't care if they win. It does matter how much someone makes. A person making that much money is obviously a go getter, and whether or not they played sports is a moot point. Some of the worst leaders I have ever seen, and worked with, are the most competitive people. Conversely, some of the best leaders I have known refused to play team sports. I know a lot of folks who were pretty good at sports that have turned into losers later in life. Sports will teach some lessons, but without an academic piece, you're still going to end up working in a dead-end job-UNLESS YOU'RE VERY, VERY LUCKY-that won't really pay the bills. My sports background got me zip financially, my education got me everything I own.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:52 am

Bestoutwest wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:

You said, and I quote here: Those that play to win are winners, and those that don't care one way or the other usually work for someone else and don't give a darn. And someone who doesn't care if they lose is a loser.

ie, those that work for someone else, essentially are losers b/c they don't care if they win. It does matter how much someone makes. A person making that much money is obviously a go getter, and whether or not they played sports is a moot point. Some of the worst leaders I have ever seen, and worked with, are the most competitive people. Conversely, some of the best leaders I have known refused to play team sports. I know a lot of folks who were pretty good at sports that have turned into losers later in life. Sports will teach some lessons, but without an academic piece, you're still going to end up working in a dead-end job-UNLESS YOU'RE VERY, VERY LUCKY-that won't really pay the bills. My sports background got me zip financially, my education got me everything I own.

My work ethic got me everything I own. What is a dead end job?
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:09 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:My work ethic got me everything I own. What is a dead end job?

It's a job that leads to no growth either position wise or educationally that would allow you to move to a new position. Think gas station cashier. Not a horrible job, but it's not leading to places unless you're young and driven.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:41 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:My work ethic got me everything I own. What is a dead end job?

It's a job that leads to no growth either position wise or educationally that would allow you to move to a new position. Think gas station cashier. Not a horrible job, but it's not leading to places unless you're young and driven.

How about riding on the back of a garbage truck slinging garbage cans? We all use to tease my good friend for doing that, now he's worth a few $million and retired from Waste Management and travels the country hunting and fishing. He stunk at sports, but hated to lose. If we lost the game he'd get into a fight with someone on the other team. Every stinking time "Horse" would be in the pile getting even.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”