High school sports?

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16443
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx

Re: High school sports?

Postby greybeard » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:19 pm

It worked for Al.

Image
Image

Cue up Springsteen's "Glory Days"....
2 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

User avatar
herofan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1720
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: High school sports?

Postby herofan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:50 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I don't want to sound like I'm against sports,but they are kinda overblown. They play/practice 11 plus months out of the year. We all need to be well rounded. Putting that much commitment to one thing, chokes out other things. When I was in school,if you farmed, coach would let you start football in August. It was over by October. Also, some of this cross training stuff kids are doing, is going to wreck their backs.
0 x

User avatar
herofan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1720
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:46 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: High school sports?

Postby herofan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:51 pm

herofan wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I don't want to sound like I'm against sports,but they are kinda overblown. They play/practice 11 plus months out of the year. We all need to be well rounded. Putting that much commitment to one thing, chokes out other things. When I was in school,if you farmed, coach would let you start football in August. It was over by October. Also, some of this cross training stuff kids are doing, is going to wreck their backs.


I agree.
0 x

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9524
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: High school sports?

Postby slick4591 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:27 pm

0 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11695
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: High school sports?

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:49 pm

slick4591 wrote:McKinney, TX HS Stadium


Dang. That's nice.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2244
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: High school sports?

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:22 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
slick4591 wrote:McKinney, TX HS Stadium


Dang. That's nice.


If they would invest some of the money vast amount of money they put into that stadium into the education of those students maybe America could become great again. Bring back home economics, shop class, create a basic living class where they teach kids to change a tire and do a check book, teach kids how to grow vegetables and where their food comes from, etc. Instead, we put a computer in front of them and turn them loose, and have these monstrosities dedicated to a very, very small percentage of the population of that school.
1 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9524
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: High school sports?

Postby slick4591 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:27 pm

I would agree. McKinney started as a farming community and there's still a little farming going on. Unfortunately, the only program close to what you are describing exist only with the FFA program.
1 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29440
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: High school sports?

Postby TexasBred » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:11 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
slick4591 wrote:McKinney, TX HS Stadium


Dang. That's nice.


If they would invest some of the money vast amount of money they put into that stadium into the education of those students maybe America could become great again. Bring back home economics, shop class, create a basic living class where they teach kids to change a tire and do a check book, teach kids how to grow vegetables and where their food comes from, etc. Instead, we put a computer in front of them and turn them loose, and have these monstrosities dedicated to a very, very small percentage of the population of that school.

A he// of a lot of that education is your responsibility "Dad"!!!!!!!!
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29440
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: High school sports?

Postby TexasBred » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:13 pm

slick4591 wrote:I would agree. McKinney started as a farming community and there's still a little farming going on. Unfortunately, the only program close to what you are describing exist only with the FFA program.

Been hearing quite a bit of talk lately about some schools budgeting money, building facilities and hiring instructors in order to place more emphasis on teaching trades to those who either won't have a chance to go to college or just don't want to. Sounds like a good starting point.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 870
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm
Location: west MI

Re: High school sports?

Postby ez14. » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:05 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
slick4591 wrote:McKinney, TX HS Stadium


Dang. That's nice.


If they would invest some of the money vast amount of money they put into that stadium into the education of those students maybe America could become great again. Bring back home economics, shop class, create a basic living class where they teach kids to change a tire and do a check book, teach kids how to grow vegetables and where their food comes from, etc. Instead, we put a computer in front of them and turn them loose, and have these monstrosities dedicated to a very, very small percentage of the population of that school.
I'm not saying your wrong BUT When and how did it become the states job to teach kids EVERYTHING! No one should rely on the government that much! It's more the parents job to make sure kids know what they need to know!
0 x

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9524
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: High school sports?

Postby slick4591 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:11 pm

They offer all these college prep classes when we all know that not everyone will get white collar jobs. In my Jr high they offered wood and metal shop along with drafting. They seem to disregard the blue collar careers that are desparetly needed in this world.
1 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 870
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm
Location: west MI

Re: High school sports?

Postby ez14. » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:25 pm

slick4591 wrote:They offer all these college prep classes when we all know that not everyone will get white collar jobs. In my Jr high they offered wood and metal shop along with drafting. They seem to disregard the blue collar careers that are desparetly needed in this world.

Around here your told straight up by the schools if you don't go to college you WILL LIVE OFF WELFARE your entire life! If you tell almost anybody that your not going to college they look at you like your high or something!
0 x

User avatar
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2244
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: High school sports?

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:42 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
Dang. That's nice.


If they would invest some of the money vast amount of money they put into that stadium into the education of those students maybe America could become great again. Bring back home economics, shop class, create a basic living class where they teach kids to change a tire and do a check book, teach kids how to grow vegetables and where their food comes from, etc. Instead, we put a computer in front of them and turn them loose, and have these monstrosities dedicated to a very, very small percentage of the population of that school.

A he// of a lot of that education is your responsibility "Dad"!!!!!!!!

It’s not me that needs the help. As I’ve said before, my son is a grade ahead AND in gifted and talented. We’re doing fine. Can’t say that about everyone.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

User avatar
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2244
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: High school sports?

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:44 pm

ez14. wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
Dang. That's nice.


If they would invest some of the money vast amount of money they put into that stadium into the education of those students maybe America could become great again. Bring back home economics, shop class, create a basic living class where they teach kids to change a tire and do a check book, teach kids how to grow vegetables and where their food comes from, etc. Instead, we put a computer in front of them and turn them loose, and have these monstrosities dedicated to a very, very small percentage of the population of that school.
I'm not saying your wrong BUT When and how did it become the states job to teach kids EVERYTHING! No one should rely on the government that much! It's more the parents job to make sure kids know what they need to know!

Relying on all parents to be responsible is like waiting for snow in Houston. Sure it can happen, but I’m not counting on it.
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 870
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm
Location: west MI

Re: High school sports?

Postby ez14. » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:46 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
ez14. wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:
If they would invest some of the money vast amount of money they put into that stadium into the education of those students maybe America could become great again. Bring back home economics, shop class, create a basic living class where they teach kids to change a tire and do a check book, teach kids how to grow vegetables and where their food comes from, etc. Instead, we put a computer in front of them and turn them loose, and have these monstrosities dedicated to a very, very small percentage of the population of that school.
I'm not saying your wrong BUT When and how did it become the states job to teach kids EVERYTHING! No one should rely on the government that much! It's more the parents job to make sure kids know what they need to know!

Relying on all parents to be responsible is like waiting for snow in Houston. Sure it can happen, but I’m not counting on it.
true But relying on the government is no better!
0 x


Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests