Smith to Skins

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Smith to Skins

Postby MRRherefords » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:07 am

So Alex Smith to the Redskins* (Hopefully I did not offend anybody by saying that). They signed him to a four year deal so it is not just a one and done deal. Any thoughts on where Kirk Cousins might end up? I think maybe Denver or Arizona.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Smith to Skins

Postby greybeard » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:50 am

Denver would be my guess too.unless he doesn't really want a future with a good team. In that case, Cousins will go to Houston.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:52 am

The Redskins just got hosed. Kansas City made out big on that one. :clap:
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:45 am

Is Smith really an upgrade? I thought Cousins was a pretty good quarterback just needed better around him. I would say he is happy to get out of DC, finally get paid and appreciated his next stop. Next to the Browns the Redskins have ruined more good young QB than any other franchise IMO.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:18 pm

I'll disagree as I prefer Smith over Cousins.

Kansas City did not make out big.
Chiefs received a 3rd round pick this year and a nice young cb Kendall Fuller (whom they missed out on in 2016)
when they blew it by choosing cb KeiVarae Russell in the 3rd round over cb Kendall Fuller.
They did save $17 million in payroll by getting rid of Smith.

Andy Reid is overrated. 1-4 in 5 post season games with Smith is more Reid's fault than Smith's.
We'll see how it works out, but I thought K.C. gave up too much (two 1st round picks and a 3rd) to move up to
draft QB Pat Mahomes who I expect will be no better than Smith.

In my opinion using those 3 draft picks to build a better team to help Smith would have been smarter than using them
to replace Smith.
:2cents:
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:16 pm

Son of Butch wrote:I'll disagree as I prefer Smith over Cousins.

Kansas City did not make out big.
Chiefs received a 3rd round pick this year and a nice young cb Kendall Fuller (whom they missed out on in 2016)
when they blew it by choosing cb KeiVarae Russell in the 3rd round over cb Kendall Fuller.
They did save $17 million in payroll by getting rid of Smith.

Andy Reid is overrated. 1-4 in 5 post season games with Smith is more Reid's fault than Smith's.
We'll see how it works out, but I thought K.C. gave up too much (two 1st round picks and a 3rd) to move up to
draft QB Pat Mahomes who I expect will be no better than Smith.

In my opinion using those 3 draft picks to build a better team to help Smith would have been smarter than using them
to replace Smith.
:2cents:

Andy Reid needs to move along. I don't think he has more than one season left in him if he doesn't produce, even if the team is weak. The problem with Smith that I hear all the time is that he's inconsistent. Started 5-0 and then went what 1-6? You can't stay in the NFL with numbers like that.

It will be interesting to see where Cousins lands. I don't think Cleveland will shell out the money he'll want, and even if they do I don't think they have the targets to make it worth it. I'm trying to think of places that need a good quarterback and I'm drawing some blanks. Arizona, Tampa Bay needs some help there. Cincinnati can use the help. The Giants, but I'm sure they won't pay that kind of money. The Bears wouldn't lose out too badly if they picked him up, but they are in a state of perpetual self destruction. Maybe the Steelers? I know Ben Rothlesburger has said he's not retiring, but he also said he was done earlier in the year.

Let the off season fun begin!
0 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:42 pm

Cleveland is too stupid to bring in anybody good. Always feel bad for whoever they draft. Graveyard for good college players.
1 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:44 pm

Vikings have an interesting situation as well.
What to do Bridgewater, Bradford and Keenum all starting QB’s. Wonder who will land where.
1 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:55 pm

MRRherefords wrote:Cleveland is too stupid to bring in anybody good. Always feel bad for whoever they draft. Graveyard for good college players.

I don’t know Houston is pretty bad place to land.
They can’t figure out you need an offense line and haven’t since they came in the League.
Watson is not going to last in the NFL already headed the RG3 route.
That style of QB is fun to watch they just don’t last long in the NFL.
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:04 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Watson is not going to last in the NFL already headed the RG3 route.
That style of QB is fun to watch they just don’t last long in the NFL.

Too true.
I forgot which hall of famer said, "Your first day in the NFL is the last day you will feel 100% healthy."
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:28 am

2017 season
Alex Smith KC 505 attempts 67.5% 4042 yds 8.0 ave 26 td 5 int passer rating 104.7
Kirk Cousins w 540 attempts 64.3% 4093 yds 7.6 ave 27 td 13 int passer rating 93.9

Fearless Prediction:
Patrick Mahomes will not be better than Alex Smith and will have less than 4,000 yds passing, but as a young qb
I expect he will have over 500 yards rushing with 4 TDs rushing vs Smith's 355 yds rushing and 1TD
KC/Andy Reid will barely make the playoffs and then go 1 and done... history's proven it's what Reid does.
0 x

jltrent
GURU
GURU

Postby jltrent » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:22 pm

2016 season
Alex Smith KC 489 attempts 67.1% 3502 yds 7.2 ave 15 td 8 int passer rating 91.2
Kirk Cousins w 606 attempts 67% 4917 yds 8.1 ave 25 td 12 int passer rating 97.2
0 x

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:08 am

Reid is renowned for squeezing into the playoffs just to lose. But all you hear about is his playoff appearances. But his record is just awful.
1 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:43 am

jltrent wrote:2016 season
Alex Smith KC 489 attempts 67.1% 3502 yds 7.2 ave 15 td 8 int passer rating 91.2
Kirk Cousins w 606 attempts 67% 4917 yds 8.1 ave 25 td 12 int passer rating 97.2

Does that mean by comparing their last 2 seasons (2016 & 2017)
Smith is progressing and Cousins is regressing?

With change to new teams it would not be surprising for both to regress for one season as they learn new systems.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:15 pm

MRRherefords wrote:Reid is renowned for squeezing into the playoffs just to lose. But all you hear about is his playoff appearances. But his record is just awful.

Well, he has consistency down anyway..
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”