Whitetail Deer

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Whitetail Deer

Postby Son of Butch » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:21 pm

My brother called; 7 whitetail deer are in the empty pasture.
Should he plug in the electric fence to hold 'em for hunting season? LOL

Told him to call me back after he gets 'em chased into the barn. (no smiley faces to post)
2 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Whitetail Deer

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:26 pm

If you do get them in the barn call
me that will be some high dollar
Entertainment.
What ever you do don’t rope one, from past experience it won’t be pretty.
1 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:38 pm

One got inside a Walmart out in San Angelo 10-12 years back. Made a he// of a mess slippin and slidin on the smooth floor, ran everyone out of the place then started in on the produce section.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:32 am

I have 35-40 in my backyard. Every friggin day. I've tried to get a nuisance permit but the red tape is unreal. Giant lawn rats
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:24 pm

most people that have a deer problem are people that will not let anyone hunt
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:10 pm

This is Mule Deer country. A few whitetails have been filtering in. It is unofficial whitetail season year round. Sort of a SSS deal except they get ate instead of buried. Wolves, Mountain Lions, and Grizzlies the standard SSS still applies.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:49 pm

I have whitetails year round but keep the feeder out year round as well. Sometimes they just want to graze. Love to watch them when they start running, jumping, butting heads and acting crazy.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:50 pm

BRYANT wrote:most people that have a deer problem are people that will not let anyone hunt

[laughing face emoji] Not around here. I let several good responsible hunters hunt every year. There are houses around though so I can't let a lot of people hunt at once. I think a neighbor puts put salt--which doesn't help one bit. A few wouldn't bother me but when we have a "resident herd" of about 40-50, it's a problem. Our DEC office has had so many cutbacks that getting a nuisance permit requires a...well, I'm not sure what, but whatever it is I'm lacking it apparently. [crying emoji face]
0 x

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:19 am

boondocks wrote:I have 35-40 in my backyard. Every friggin day. I've tried to get a nuisance permit but the red tape is unreal. Giant lawn rats

Same problem here. 40 deer every day. We hunt them hard and allow others to help too. Our problem is our neighbors do not allow the shooting of doe on their property. So deer season rolls around and they are all on the other side of the fence, knowing they are safe. Really frustrating during the season, when you are all ready to go out and plug one after seeing them every day for 6-7 months and the two week season rolls around and they are gone.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:14 pm

MRRherefords wrote:
boondocks wrote:I have 35-40 in my backyard. Every friggin day. I've tried to get a nuisance permit but the red tape is unreal. Giant lawn rats

Same problem here. 40 deer every day. We hunt them hard and allow others to help too. Our problem is our neighbors do not allow the shooting of doe on their property. So deer season rolls around and they are all on the other side of the fence, knowing they are safe. Really frustrating during the season, when you are all ready to go out and plug one after seeing them every day for 6-7 months and the two week season rolls around and they are gone.

OMG you must have my same neighbor. Very frustrating. "Ours" know down to the moment when to skedaddle. I swear they have the hour marked on their calendar and get an "alert."
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:03 pm

It's really easy for the deer to out smart the majority of the hunters. I see this scenario play out every year. We really appreciate our neighbors who train the deer to come our way during their pre season scouting, cutting shooting lanes, hanging treestands and just walking through the woods checking things out a few weeks before season starts.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:12 pm

MRRherefords wrote:.and the two week season rolls around and they are gone.

(insert bug-eyed emoticon) 2 weeks??!!! Where we are deer season is, on average, just over 3 months, 7 days a week!

However, in the suburban/urban areas, there's no hunting and the deer are an extreme problem.
0 x
Live each day as if it were your last.

MRRherefords
Rancher
Rancher

Postby MRRherefords » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:05 pm

Workinonit Farm wrote:
MRRherefords wrote:.and the two week season rolls around and they are gone.

(insert bug-eyed emoticon) 2 weeks??!!! Where we are deer season is, on average, just over 3 months, 7 days a week!

However, in the suburban/urban areas, there's no hunting and the deer are an extreme problem.

I meant rifle season. Right after Thanksgiving. Really need to break in the crossbow.
0 x

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”