Every day Carry

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Every day Carry

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:56 pm

A pocketknife and breath mints and shocked by everyone's first thought to grab heading out the door is a gun.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:00 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:SP101 is a smaller frame than the old Security 6. It has a 5 round cylinder.

Mine is a Service 6 not a Security 6, the Security 6 has adjustable sights and Service 6 has fixed sights. Just a little trivia.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:02 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Threatened? I've been shot, run over and stabbed on different occasions, and I don't count misses. Been robbed and beat down by 3 Haitians with 2 sticks in the middle of the day in downtown Miami. Got pistol whipped by an old drunk and hit in the back of the head with a baseball bat by another, and sucker punched countless times. That was then and this is now, I'm 60 years old, lost my 70% of my strength on my left side, and have COPD. I will not and can't take another beat down because I think I'm tough. I still have a sledgehammer for a right hand, have the right to protect myself and my family, and refuse to cut and run or back down. I feel I'd be a dang fool not to be armed, I'll leave that to you guys.
CB, I hate snakes and kill every poisonous one I see. A bush ax or machete is my tool of choice, but I don't have one with me all the time.

I sincerely believe your life experiences justify your philosophy regarding being armed. You probably put yourself in some risky places to have experienced the violence you described. Probably 75 % of the Users on this forum have never had a gun pointed at them with the intent to do harm in a domestic situation. I believe you are RIGHT in being armed especially if it provides you PEACE OF MIND. Peace of mind is one of the most precious states of security a human can enjoy.

Most of us have not experienced those threats. In my 67 years, I cannot think of one scenario where I needed to be armed.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:09 pm

"Most of us have not experienced those threats. In my 67 years, I cannot think of one scenario where I needed to be armed."

Didnt you mentioned something about some coal miners or mine owners that you had to have a armed guard or deputy for protection?
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:13 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:"Most of us have not experienced those threats. In my 67 years, I cannot think of one scenario where I needed to be armed."

Didnt you mentioned something about some coal miners or mine owners that you had to have a armed guard or deputy for protection?

Yes. But I was much safer not being armed. That was why the federal Marshals were there. Sometimes being armed ups the ante.
0 x
Make America Happy Again

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:21 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Threatened? I've been shot, run over and stabbed on different occasions, and I don't count misses. Been robbed and beat down by 3 Haitians with 2 sticks in the middle of the day in downtown Miami. Got pistol whipped by an old drunk and hit in the back of the head with a baseball bat by another, and sucker punched countless times. That was then and this is now, I'm 60 years old, lost my 70% of my strength on my left side, and have COPD. I will not and can't take another beat down because I think I'm tough. I still have a sledgehammer for a right hand, have the right to protect myself and my family, and refuse to cut and run or back down. I feel I'd be a dang fool not to be armed, I'll leave that to you guys.
CB, I hate snakes and kill every poisonous one I see. A bush ax or machete is my tool of choice, but I don't have one with me all the time.

For a guy with a gun you sure get beat up a lot.
3 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:29 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:"Most of us have not experienced those threats. In my 67 years, I cannot think of one scenario where I needed to be armed."

Yes. But I was much safer not being armed. That was why the federal Marshalls were there. [b] Sometimes being armed ups the ante.

Your responsible for your own safety. Most cops can't shoot very good, and especially under pressure.
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:30 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

For a guy with a gun you sure get beat up a lot.

Never carried gun until I got married and had kids. I need to move along, good night.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:37 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Yes. But I was much safer not being armed. That was why the federal Marshalls were there. [b] Sometimes being armed ups the ante.

Your responsible for your own safety. Most cops can't shoot very good, and especially under pressure.

I remember reading in Guns and Ammo, The American Rifleman or maybe the annual Gun Digest in the 1960s that a study conducted of the nation's top 5 Police Forces found that shooting skills were absolutely terrible. The study resulted in so much embarrassment that a national effort was made to improve shooting skills. I don't know how they are today but if you read some of the reports of gun battles between police and criminals, they often report "37 shots were fired and the criminal was hit 3 times". Yep. Better not count on the cops when it comes to marksmanship.

Good night, Vince.
1 x
Make America Happy Again

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:20 pm

I carry a S&W 642 Airweight 38 special. When bear hunting also carry a Taurus 8" 44 mag in a shoulder holster.
I have been threatened, shot at, beat up and left for dead. No more. Im glad there are places that are safe but here is not one of them. Drugs are the danger here now.
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

AdamsCreek
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby AdamsCreek » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:28 pm

Keep a Glock 19 in the center console. Typical Glock-simple and reliable. Nice knowing it’s there if it’s needed
0 x

Dogs and Cows
GURU
GURU

Postby Dogs and Cows » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:00 am

Well, this has devolved into something I didn't want. I didn't ask for comments about why someone should carry...that can be for another conversation.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:29 am

Dogs and Cows wrote:Well, this has devolved into something I didn't want. I didn't ask for comments about why someone should carry...that can be for another conversation.

D and C why would expect less.
Same bunch giving the same opinion every time. Opinions are just like buttholes everyone has one and they all stink.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:37 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Dogs and Cows wrote:Well, this has devolved into something I didn't want. I didn't ask for comments about why someone should carry...that can be for another conversation.

D and C why would expect less.
Same bunch giving the same opinion every time. Opinions are just like buttholes everyone has one and they all stink.

You hit the nail on the head right there.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:35 am

Tim, don't complain, you are lucky someone didn't ask where Jimmy Hoffa went! Lol
1 x
Make America Happy Again

Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”