The Judge

Discuss your favorite team, latest hunting info and ranch leases.
User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2943
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

The Judge

Postby TCRanch » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:41 pm

Did I do okay? Bought Hubby a Taurus "The Judge" 45C revolver for Father's Day with a selection of Hornady Critical Defense shotshells, Federal Premium 410 Personal Defense shotshells and Winchester PDX1 410 Defender projectiles. He needed (wanted) something to carry in the tractor and a neighbor/friend that is a former military sniper recommended a Judge.

Anyone else have one? Likes, dislikes? Owner of the gun shop (also a neighbor) said he'd take it back if it didn't work out.
0 x

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6791
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: The Judge

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:11 pm

We have 3 around here now, they are an excellent choice for someone that's not a great pistol shot. Theses are really good rounds for snakes and self-defense in the house. http://www.winchester.com/products/new- ... 1-410.aspx
The normal loading we use is 3 of the Winchester defense loads and then 2 full power 000 buckshot. The 000 buckshot has 5 pellets and enough energy to shoot through a piece of 3/4 plywood at 20 yards.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4501
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: The Judge

Postby callmefence » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:11 pm

ive thought about one for the boat. seems theres better options for a house gun. whats the recoil like with buckshot?
0 x
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6791
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: The Jsudge

Postby True Grit Farms » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:03 pm

callmefence wrote:ive thought about one for the boat. seems theres better options for a house gun. whats the recoil like with buckshot?


Fenceman it's not terrible, less than 44 mag. We have aftermarket grips which is a night and day difference.
https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/57100 ... r-_-571005
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 867
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:42 pm
Location: west MI

Re: The Judge

Postby ez14. » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:21 pm

Don't have one but would like to. Just because it seems like a pretty neat gun
0 x

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2943
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: The Judge

Postby TCRanch » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:15 am

True Grit Farms wrote:We have 3 around here now, they are an excellent choice for someone that's not a great pistol shot. Theses are really good rounds for snakes and self-defense in the house. http://www.winchester.com/products/new- ... 1-410.aspx
The normal loading we use is 3 of the Winchester defense loads and then 2 full power 000 buckshot. The 000 buckshot has 5 pellets and enough energy to shoot through a piece of 3/4 plywood at 20 yards.

Bingo! He still has limited mobility/dexterity in his hands & not a lot of strength in his arms/hands from the surgery.
0 x

User avatar
jltrent
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2055
Joined: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:04 pm
Location: Western tip of VA

Re: The Judge

Postby jltrent » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:23 am

Some good reviews...........Agree with TGF better grips help....

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/versatile-taurus-judge/

Image
0 x

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22550
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: The Judge

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:07 pm

TCRanch wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:We have 3 around here now, they are an excellent choice for someone that's not a great pistol shot. Theses are really good rounds for snakes and self-defense in the house. http://www.winchester.com/products/new- ... 1-410.aspx
The normal loading we use is 3 of the Winchester defense loads and then 2 full power 000 buckshot. The 000 buckshot has 5 pellets and enough energy to shoot through a piece of 3/4 plywood at 20 yards.

Bingo! He still has limited mobility/dexterity in his hands & not a lot of strength in his arms/hands from the surgery.


I bought one for some strange reason.
I did not care for it at all.
Traded it off in a couple of months.
If I want a shotgun that’s what I will carry. For a carry that is a liability nightmare for collateral damage.
Didn’t pattern well with 6’s for snakes an such. Might be alright with buckshot on the nightstand a street sweeper in 12 is cheaper and more effective.

:2cents:
2 x

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7190
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: The Judge

Postby Brute 23 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:04 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
TCRanch wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:We have 3 around here now, they are an excellent choice for someone that's not a great pistol shot. Theses are really good rounds for snakes and self-defense in the house. http://www.winchester.com/products/new- ... 1-410.aspx
The normal loading we use is 3 of the Winchester defense loads and then 2 full power 000 buckshot. The 000 buckshot has 5 pellets and enough energy to shoot through a piece of 3/4 plywood at 20 yards.

Bingo! He still has limited mobility/dexterity in his hands & not a lot of strength in his arms/hands from the surgery.


I bought one for some strange reason.
I did not care for it at all.
Traded it off in a couple of months.
If I want a shotgun that’s what I will carry. For a carry that is a liability nightmare for collateral damage.
Didn’t pattern well with 6’s for snakes an such. Might be alright with buckshot on the nightstand a street sweeper in 12 is cheaper and more effective.

:2cents:


That's my same thought on them. Its a miserable amount of recoil also on the hand.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2943
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS

Re: The Judge

Postby TCRanch » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:15 am

Interesting on the recoil. The one I bought has the shorter barrel and is supposed to have very little recoil - but that may be subjective, depending on who's firing it. I'd like to be able to use it and it doesn't take much to knock me over. :hide: Thanks for all the input! Guess I'll see if he likes it, can always trade.
0 x

User avatar
snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 556
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma

Re: The Judge

Postby snoopdog » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:44 am

Not a real fan myself , the size of the thing is my biggest issue , but I'm sure it'll be a well received gift, and kudos to your dealer , those are the kind I like to deal with .
1 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7190
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast

Re: The Judge

Postby Brute 23 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:48 am

snoopdog wrote:Not a real fan myself , the size of the thing is my biggest issue , but I'm sure it'll be a well received gift, and kudos to your dealer , those are the kind I like to deal with .


I agree. Well said.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 6791
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: The Judge

Postby True Grit Farms » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:46 pm

The Judge definitely doesn't pattern very well with anything. Pretty much anything over 20 yards is out of range. But at 20' and less it really starts to shine. And at self - defense range which to me is 10' or less, no other pistol can deliver the stopping power of the Judge loaded with 000 buckshot. My wife loves hers and carries it everywhere, heck she might even be able to hit something now.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 22550
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas

Re: The Judge

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:22 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:The Judge definitely doesn't pattern very well with anything. Pretty much anything over 20 yards is out of range. But at 20' and less it really starts to shine. And at self - defense range which to me is 10' or less, no other pistol can deliver the stopping power of the Judge loaded with 000 buckshot. My wife loves hers and carries it everywhere, heck she might even be able to hit something now.


I always viewed it as an Alamo gun when the fort has been overrun, and all is lost.
0 x

jehosofat
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 347
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:25 pm

Re: The Judge

Postby jehosofat » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:58 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:The Judge definitely doesn't pattern very well with anything. Pretty much anything over 20 yards is out of range. But at 20' and less it really starts to shine. And at self - defense range which to me is 10' or less, no other pistol can deliver the stopping power of the Judge loaded with 000 buckshot. My wife loves hers and carries it everywhere, heck she might even be able to hit something now.


I always viewed it as an Alamo gun when the fort has been overrun, and all is lost.


If Davy Crockett had 50 Judges in stock, we wouldn't need Trump to build us a wall. :lol2:
0 x


Return to “Sports, Hunting, Fishing and Wildlife”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest