Dog Food - Canine Heart Disease

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4150
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS
Has thanked: 764 times
Been thanked: 361 times

Re: Dog Food - Canine Heart Disease

Post by TCRanch » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:35 pm

Buck Randall wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:09 pm
If I started a dog food company I would brand it as being made with ingredients chosen by dogs. Mostly placentas and roadkill.
I have a Lab/Greyhound mix that has killed & subsequently eaten a beaver. Twice - that I know of. Day 3 he smelled like azz and finally brought what was left of his buffet to the house for our approval. Thorough bath ensued. Diligently checked his poo (when I could find it) for worms but didn't seem to phase his internal system at all. Third kill ended up with 10 staples in his neck & his beaver days are over (self imposed).



User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5170
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Has thanked: 45 times
Been thanked: 466 times

Re: Dog Food - Canine Heart Disease

Post by sim.-ang.king » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:00 pm

Buck Randall wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:09 pm
If I started a dog food company I would brand it as being made with ingredients chosen by dogs. Mostly placentas and roadkill.
Don't forget rotten testicles, and manure from the feedlot.
Socialism: Making everyone equally poor since 1917

Buck Randall
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:45 pm
Has thanked: 53 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Dog Food - Canine Heart Disease

Post by Buck Randall » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:12 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:00 pm
Buck Randall wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:09 pm
If I started a dog food company I would brand it as being made with ingredients chosen by dogs. Mostly placentas and roadkill.
Don't forget rotten testicles, and manure from the feedlot.
Based on my observations, they're best if eaten fresh, then vomited, then eaten again the next day.

User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2218
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY
Has thanked: 522 times
Been thanked: 311 times

Re: Dog Food - Canine Heart Disease

Post by Ky hills » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:40 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:00 pm
Buck Randall wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:09 pm
If I started a dog food company I would brand it as being made with ingredients chosen by dogs. Mostly placentas and roadkill.
Don't forget rotten testicles, and manure from the feedlot.
Why would anybody leave them to rot, or for the dogs? The dogs can and will have as much manure as they want, cant keep some of them out of it.

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7979
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon
Been thanked: 452 times

Re: Dog Food - Canine Heart Disease

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:45 pm

The pup is eating Science Diet and any mice the cat leaves laying around. The old dog has Diamond Natural senior dog and the mice she catches on her own. Both seem to be doing real good. The pup is eating everything in sight and growing like a weed.
The old dog sort of runs on three wheels because she was dining on fresh calf poop. She wasn't paying attention and old #30 ran her over.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 30162
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas
Has thanked: 230 times
Been thanked: 207 times

Re: Dog Food - Canine Heart Disease

Post by TexasBred » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:07 pm

wbvs58 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:33 pm
Who provided the information for the recommendation? I bet it was from the likes of Hills, Eukanuba, Walthams. I am a bit cynical when it comes to drug companies and dog food manufacturers. The last I heard was that the Hills rep was giving canine nutrition lectures to Vet students at the local Vet school, a bit of a conflict of interest IMO.

I wouldn't be too worried as long as you keep your dogs fit lean and healthy.

Ken
Hills Science Diet is what most vets sell out of their office thus Hills advertises "Vet Recommended". Heck of a markup on it too and corn is usually the leading ingredient in it. Most vets I know passed maybe one or two elementary nutrition courses and almost none studied canine nutrition.
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

User avatar
Bright Raven
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10537
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 857 times
Been thanked: 883 times

Re: Dog Food - Canine Heart Disease

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:23 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:07 pm
wbvs58 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:33 pm
Who provided the information for the recommendation? I bet it was from the likes of Hills, Eukanuba, Walthams. I am a bit cynical when it comes to drug companies and dog food manufacturers. The last I heard was that the Hills rep was giving canine nutrition lectures to Vet students at the local Vet school, a bit of a conflict of interest IMO.

I wouldn't be too worried as long as you keep your dogs fit lean and healthy.

Ken
Hills Science Diet is what most vets sell out of their office thus Hills advertises "Vet Recommended". Heck of a markup on it too and corn is usually the leading ingredient in it. Most vets I know passed maybe one or two elementary nutrition courses and almost none studied canine nutrition.
TB

I think you and I should start a movement on behalf of the dogs in this country. Call it PEFD - People for the Ethical Feeding of Dogs. All these dog foods are mostly plant based. Dogs are carnivores. Carnivores need meat. I often get one of those roasted chickens at Walmart. The ones in those plastic hand bags. When I get home, I put the whole chicken in a big bowl and my two corgis who know the routine, sit at the foot of the recliner with big moist eyes. It takes about 10 minutes to finish a whole chicken and 85 % of it goes to the dogs. I don't mind at all. Dogs need meat.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Little Cow
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: Florida
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: Dog Food - Canine Heart Disease

Post by Little Cow » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:20 am

We tried to feed the good stuff, but the dogs didn't like it. GSD breeder recommended Proplan Sport and the dogs clean it up. Purina has been around forever and does it's research. They'll make it cheap, but it's pretty safe.

For those whose dogs supplement with placentas and roadkill, I think that's all fair game to dog food companies, but they can process it until it won't make your dog sick on the carpet. That's nice.
"For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Messiah', and they will deceive many".  Matthew, 24:5

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 30162
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas
Has thanked: 230 times
Been thanked: 207 times

Re: Dog Food - Canine Heart Disease

Post by TexasBred » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:32 am

Little Cow wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:20 am
We tried to feed the good stuff, but the dogs didn't like it. GSD breeder recommended Proplan Sport and the dogs clean it up. Purina has been around forever and does it's research. They'll make it cheap, but it's pretty safe.

For those whose dogs supplement with placentas and roadkill, I think that's all fair game to dog food companies, but they can process it until it won't make your dog sick on the carpet. That's nice.
If you want to feed Purina get the Purina that is sold at places like Petsmart. It's good dog food and made by the "Purina" owned by Nestle dba Purina Pet Care. The other Purina is made by PMI (Purina Mills, Inc) and is medium/low quality dog food but cheap and folks like that.
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:17 pm
Location: South Western Oregon
Has thanked: 307 times
Been thanked: 225 times

Re: Dog Food - Canine Heart Disease

Post by 76 Bar » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:33 pm

Dogs need meat.
Agree. Cooked poultry bones are considered deadly. YMMV.

User avatar
Little Cow
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 510
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:20 pm
Location: Florida
Has thanked: 88 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: Dog Food - Canine Heart Disease

Post by Little Cow » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:00 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:32 am
Little Cow wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:20 am
If you want to feed Purina get the Purina that is sold at places like Petsmart. It's good dog food and made by the "Purina" owned by Nestle dba Purina Pet Care. The other Purina is made by PMI (Purina Mills, Inc) and is medium/low quality dog food but cheap and folks like that.
That is interesting.
"For many will come in my name, saying, 'I am the Messiah', and they will deceive many".  Matthew, 24:5

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 30162
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas
Has thanked: 230 times
Been thanked: 207 times

Re: Dog Food - Canine Heart Disease

Post by TexasBred » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:26 pm

Little Cow wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:00 pm
TexasBred wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:32 am
Little Cow wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:20 am
If you want to feed Purina get the Purina that is sold at places like Petsmart. It's good dog food and made by the "Purina" owned by Nestle dba Purina Pet Care. The other Purina is made by PMI (Purina Mills, Inc) and is medium/low quality dog food but cheap and folks like that.
That is interesting.
It's crazy. Both companies still use the checkerboards and both will have St; Louis as place of origin. Very confusing for the customer.
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

Post Reply