I am wanting to fence a large yard for the dogs at the farm.

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
M.Magis
GURU
GURU

Re: I am wanting to fence a large yard for the dogs at the f

Postby M.Magis » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:22 am

True Grit Farms wrote:The problem is that you need to be smarter than what your trying to teach. And some folks are just to stupid to learn how to train a dog to stay in the yard.

And some are too arrogant to admit not all dogs are the same.
0 x

JSteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JSteim » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:45 am

If one side of the pen runs along existing 5 strand electric fence would you just put space between the cow and the dog fence? If so how much space?
0 x
Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and your a thousand miles from the cornfield.

fenceman
GURU
GURU

Postby fenceman » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:18 am

JSteim wrote:If one side of the pen runs along existing 5 strand electric fence would you just put space between the cow and the dog fence? If so how much space?

My first reaction is I would put the netwire on the knobby side of the tpost and use the back of post 6 " insulators on the cows side of same post. I've got it that way on my mom's chain link yard fence to keep the cows off the chainlink. It's much neater that way.

With that being said. You don't live there to keep a eye on things and it will increase the chance of creating a short out on the electric..
So it's what you feel comfortable with.
If you leave a foot or so your going to want to deal with the grass that grows between the fences.
0 x
You can all go to he//.
I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

JSteim
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby JSteim » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:01 pm

I started 6 months back not charging the bottom wire on the fence and then making 2,3 and 5 hot. That resulted in a better fence charge as it was not fighting weeds anymore and the cows figured out pretty quick they could eat along the bottom of the fence. So far everyone stays where they belong and the fenceline stays clean.

I was also kicking around leaving a wide enough lane to drive the tractor across it which would allow mowing or the occasional graze at the cost of an extra gate.
0 x
Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and your a thousand miles from the cornfield.

fenceman
GURU
GURU

Postby fenceman » Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:54 pm

JSteim wrote:I started 6 months back not charging the bottom wire on the fence and then making 2,3 and 5 hot. That resulted in a better fence charge as it was not fighting weeds anymore and the cows figured out pretty quick they could eat along the bottom of the fence. So far everyone stays where they belong and the fenceline stays clean.

I was also kicking around leaving a wide enough lane to drive the tractor across it which would allow mowing or the occasional graze at the cost of an extra gate.

Sounds like you got a good plan.
Next time your in Florence come by and see us . I,'ll fix you up with that gate. We always have a pile of good second hand one's.
0 x
You can all go to he//.
I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”