Vet responsibilites

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Vet responsibilites

Postby cowboy43 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:07 pm

If you have taken a dog or cat to the vet with major problems you know it can quickly cost a thousand dollars or more.
Our local vet. clinic is taking a beating on Facebook this morning from the public because a woman took her 2 dogs (that had been run over) to the clinic, she states the dogs were bleeding internally , coughing up blood, ribs broken , spinal break, broken legs , plus more injuries. She said they refused to help her because she did not have the money to pay. She said other nasty things but that is just her side of the story , I don't know the clinics side.
She is also bad mouthing the woman that ran over dogs , the dogs were out in the public street.
My thought is should the clinic have treated the dogs without payment. I can guess the cost to treat these 2 Dogs in that condition would be in the thousands and still may not live.
0 x

talltimber
GURU
GURU

Re: Vet responsibilites

Postby talltimber » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:42 pm

My take is, keep your dogs out of the road. If they get that busted up, put them down. Why make them suffer even more than they are? I am probably compassionate to animals to a fault, trying harder/longer than is financially feasible when it comes to cattle even. There is a time, with anything, that enough is enough, and it is unacceptable to do anything except put them down.
0 x
If you cross the river before, leave a good horse on this side.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:44 pm

They should have treated them with euthanasia IMO
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:45 pm

Probably no leash law in your county to cover this, but the owner has a responsibility to keep her animals up. The vet has no responsibility to treat her dogs if she is unable to pay. Bottom line is if you're going to have animals you have to be prepared to take care of them and not depend on anyone else.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:48 pm

I'm the crazy kind. If I was in practice, and some idiot was dragging me over the coals for something that stupid, I'd probably have my lawyer send her a letter.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

J&D Cattle
GURU
GURU

Postby J&D Cattle » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:54 pm

M-5 wrote:They should have treated them with euthanasia IMO

That would be my thought too if they were truly in that bad of condition.
0 x
J & D Cattle

Craig Miller
GURU
GURU

Postby Craig Miller » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:27 pm

A vet can't treat an animal knowing they are not going to get paid for it. He would be out a lot of money and never see it again.
0 x

SJB
Rancher
Rancher

Postby SJB » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:09 pm

a co-worker and his wife own a local small animal vet clinic. you'd be amazed at the deadbeats. they have a finance agreement with somebody, and you'd be amazed at the amount of their payments that have to be financed.

every welfare schmuck in this town has two or three pets that i'm paying for.
0 x
"Reading is easy, doing is hard." - HDRider

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:04 pm

I've been in this situation many times, they come to you dramatising the emergency so there is no time to talk about money as that is not important just gotta save the dogs life. That long list of serious injuries that she listed makes the euthanasia option a very serious contender. In a situation like this I would offer to euthanase the dog immediately but insist that they take the body with them as it costs me to have it disposed of. It is now they will start on how it is their childs dog and will be heartbroken without it etc and when they get no response with that they start abusing me and tell me what a heartless ba$tard I am and how they are going to go to the current affairs shows with the story etc.
More often than not these sort of people have previous form with the clinic for not paying their debts and come along saying I was just coming in tomorrow to pay my bill.
Facebook is pretty good at going along with this sort of thing sinking the boot in.
Ken
0 x

farmguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby farmguy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:39 pm

I know the feeling. We had rental property. One family were way behind on their rent and utilities,. We tried to work with them on payments. Their response to us was to be demonized on Facebook and have deliberate vandalism on the property. This was after and during months they lived rent free and we paid the utilities. Bottom line it cost us many thousands of dollars in lawyer fees, utilities and repairs. We no longer have rental housing, it's now sold and no longer available for rent. Any wonder there is a shortage of housing? I am so sick of the "victim" mentality. My wife and I started with absolutely nothing. These people know the law and the law is not friendly to landlords. For example rental units must have a working smoke detector. No problem you say, tenants remove the batteries and then report you. Please forgive the rant. farmguy
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:47 pm

farmguy wrote:I know the feeling. We had rental property. One family were way behind on their rent and utilities,. We tried to work with them on payments. Their response to us was to be demonized on Facebook and have deliberate vandalism on the property. This was after and during months they lived rent free and we paid the utilities. Bottom line it cost us many thousands of dollars in lawyer fees, utilities and repairs. We no longer have rental housing, it's now sold and no longer available for rent. Any wonder there is a shortage of housing? I am so sick of the "victim" mentality. My wife and I started with absolutely nothing. These people know the law and the law is not friendly to landlords. For example rental units must have a working smoke detector. No problem you say, tenants remove the batteries and then report you. Please forgive the rant. farmguy

I got our for largely the same reason. No Facebook back then though.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:55 pm

I really wish people, and I use that word kindly for this type of person, could be held legally liable and responsible for the shyt they put on social media. If you don't have the money to pay the vet be ready to put your pet/livestock down yourself! Vets became Vets because in the beginning they love animals, but when they realize the electric bill needs paid and their employees want paid, the government could care less about two dogs running in the road and getting hit, mortgage companies want paid or else..... Puff, now it's a business with financial responsibilities. Social media can help or destroy a business very fast.
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Postby cowboy43 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:26 pm

Was just posted the surgery will be $10,000 , not mentioned if it will be done or how it will be paid.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:54 pm

Same kind of people want their car fixed and released back to them, even if they can't afford to pay the mechanic.
This kind of thing is why all the vets I ever went to had a sign in their waiting room:

How hard is that to comprehend?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:35 am

Maybe when Hillary gets in office we can get hillarycare for pets ,something like obamacare maybe.
I don't know just a idea ????
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”