Dogs and their hair coats . . . .

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Dogs and their hair coats . . . .

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Mon May 02, 2016 9:22 pm

This question probably isn't for those of you with working dogs . . . for those of you that may (also) have the little yippie-yappies/small breeds. So, don't ya'll be laugh'n at me about my issue! 3 years ago, we adopted/rescued 2 siblings at 5 weeks old, from a litter of 5. Both parents were some sort of terrier, or a combination of a bunch of them -- probably 100 percent terrier of assorted varieties, and mama may have dated around for a few days, too. Just guessing. The little female, Dixie, is gold colored and has more of a wire coat, med. length; not too hard to take care of. But the brother, Blu . . . he's a piece of work. He's got one of those pretty long coats that's horrid -- you clip him, hair starts to grow out, does pretty good, but when you brush him, it's like cotton that just turns to fuzz and starts to ball up and knot. Anyone have a good suggestion for caring for that kinda coat, besides constant trims? Bryl Cream or something? Anything?
0 x
I'm for shyts and giggles -- until I giggle and shyt!

OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Dogs and their hair coats . . . .

Postby OwnedByTheCow » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:23 pm

What are you feeding them? Maybe not feed so much?
0 x
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
Ghandi

LRTX1
GURU
GURU

Postby LRTX1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:41 am

Can't remember what it was used for but an old timer told me they used to shave off some copper into flakes and put it in the dogs food. The side effect was a beautiful coat. I think it was for ticks not sure though.
0 x
Layne

Education is expensive, no matter where you get it.

Education is important but, cold beer is importanter.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:55 am

D I N O V I TE - dinovite - all I know is they advertise on talk radio and if the testimony is correct it will fix your problem
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:42 am

M-5 wrote:D I N O V I TE - dinovite - all I know is they advertise on talk radio and if the testimony is correct it will fix your problem

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yessir if it's as good as they say that dog will be as slick as a gut in no time.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:25 am

TexasBred wrote:
M-5 wrote:D I N O V I TE - dinovite - all I know is they advertise on talk radio and if the testimony is correct it will fix your problem

:lol: :lol: :lol: Yessir if it's as good as they say that dog will be as slick as a gut in no time.

We have an aussie who had terrible skin and coat problems and I decided to try the dinovite because the vet was killing me with antibiotic prices... and they only helped a little.

I ordered a ninety day supply and it worked so well that I have just gotten my second ninety day supply....I plan to keep him on it...

it is a lot cheaper than having to take him to the vet every sixty days so they will refill his meds....which are outrageously priced....
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:51 am

pdfangus wrote:
TexasBred wrote:

We have an aussie who had terrible skin and coat problems and I decided to try the dinovite because the vet was killing me with antibiotic prices... and they only helped a little.

I ordered a ninety day supply and it worked so well that I have just gotten my second ninety day supply....I plan to keep him on it...

it is a lot cheaper than having to take him to the vet every sixty days so they will refill his meds....which are outrageously priced....

What does it taste like Jim?? :hide:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:00 am

TB....

I think it tastes like crap....not from tasting it....... but because the wife mixes it with a can of Old Roy dog food and puts a little bit of vegetable oil on it to insure that it gets cleaned up every morning....

It looks very much like the kelp meal I give my horses....doesn't smell quite as fishy....but I have not tasted that either....

The Old Roy does not look all that bad for when the wolf is at the door....but I haven't tried that yet either....
0 x
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:07 am

pdfangus wrote:TB....

I think it tastes like crap....not from tasting it....... but because the wife mixes it with a can of Old Roy dog food and puts a little bit of vegetable oil on it to insure that it gets cleaned up every morning....

It looks very much like the kelp meal I give my horses....doesn't smell quite as fishy....but I have not tasted that either....

The Old Roy does not look all that bad for when the wolf is at the door....but I haven't tried that yet either....

I've always wondered how easy it was to administer it everyday. Might order me some and try it on my dogs and cats.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:10 pm

I always figure that 'Ol Roy canned food would cure anything all by itself--except maybe diarrhea.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Kathie in Thorp
GURU
GURU

Postby Kathie in Thorp » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:55 pm

Mine don't have skin issues; just wonky hair coats.
0 x
I'm for shyts and giggles -- until I giggle and shyt!

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:48 am

Kathie in Thorp wrote:Mine don't have skin issues; just wonky hair coats.

My Aussie, Apache has the stiffest hair coat I have ever seen on an aussie....surface hairs are long and stiff and the undercoat is very soft and fuzzy and thick....it will mat up badly.

We think that his outer coat has gotten much softer since we have had him on the dinovite ....I know it has helped him with his itching and skin rash...he does not mind being brushed now so it makes it easier to take care of him...
0 x
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”