Chicken?

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:31 pm
Location: SC KY

Chicken?

Postby kickinbull » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:12 am

I've been all over the net trying to figure out what's going on with our farm flock. We are getting runny yolk eggs. A big percentage of total. Why?
They are getting ground chicken feed 15%. Have a large run. Lots of grit. Their pen is right next to garden and I toss stuff over to them. So they have been getting fresh veggies. Tomatoes and squash.
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Chicken?

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:48 am

I am no way an expert but how old are your chickens? How long do you leave the eggs out before picking them up?
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
Alan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9481
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 11:54 am
Location: NW Oregon

Re: Chicken?

Postby Alan » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:52 am

After reading your post I became curious myself so I did a Google. After the Google my guess is it's a nutritional problem, but just a guess.
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Chicken?

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:16 pm

slick should be along to answer
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:31 pm
Location: SC KY

Re: Chicken?

Postby kickinbull » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:09 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:I am no way an expert but how old are your chickens? How long do you leave the eggs out before picking them up?
Chickens are from 1 to 5 years and we gather every 2-3 days.
0 x

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Chicken?

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:11 pm

kickinbull wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I am no way an expert but how old are your chickens? How long do you leave the eggs out before picking them up?
Chickens are from 1 to 5 years and we gather every 2-3 days.



I wonder if leaving them out in the heat could be a reason.. speculating because I really don't know but I collect my eggs daily.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

User avatar
slick4591
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8506
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Contact:

Re: Chicken?

Postby slick4591 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:16 pm

If you have high temps and leave the eggs in it for 3 days, then I'd say the vitelline membrane surrounding the yolk is breaking down and allowing water in from the albumen. Have you noticed if the intact yolks are round or flat? If they are flat that's your most likely problem. I'd gather daily. edit to add: It's also possible they could be coming from your 5 year birds as their eggs will not be quality.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Cross-7
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1946
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:22 pm
Location: SW OK

Re: Chicken?

Postby Cross-7 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:19 pm

Gather your eggs everyday
0 x

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47007
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks

Re: Chicken?

Postby dun » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:15 am

Cross-7 wrote:Gather your eggs everyday

Correct answer. Also the old hens won;t have eggs that hold up as well as the younger ones. Heat just makes it worse.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

cattle60
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 239
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:07 am
Location: Middle East Missouri

Re: Chicken?

Postby cattle60 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:48 am

Gather every day, they are starting breakdown/spoil after 2-3 days. I always gathered every day, had some that missed due to not finding and after two days they started to even smell bad. Old hens need to be made into chicken and dumplings, just like cattle they don't produce as well when they get 3 and older, more feed less eggs.
0 x

User avatar
TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2564
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:16 am
Location: Palmyra, TN

Re: Chicken?

Postby TN Cattle Man » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:13 am

kickinbull wrote:I've been all over the net trying to figure out what's going on with our farm flock. We are getting runny yolk eggs. A big percentage of total. Why?
They are getting ground chicken feed 15%. Have a large run. Lots of grit. Their pen is right next to garden and I toss stuff over to them. So they have been getting fresh veggies. Tomatoes and squash.

Not really a chicken man myself, but I agree with the heat maybe being a factor. I know in my part of the world, feeding chicken scratch is not sufficient enough of a feed for chickens that are laying. A good quality laying pellet or crumble would probably help out a lot.
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

User avatar
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 17739
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:11 am
Location: Free Rent ,VA

Re: Chicken?

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:16 am

TN Cattle Man wrote:
kickinbull wrote:I've been all over the net trying to figure out what's going on with our farm flock. We are getting runny yolk eggs. A big percentage of total. Why?
They are getting ground chicken feed 15%. Have a large run. Lots of grit. Their pen is right next to garden and I toss stuff over to them. So they have been getting fresh veggies. Tomatoes and squash.

Not really a chicken man myself, but I agree with the heat maybe being a factor. I know in my part of the world, feeding chicken scratch is not sufficient enough of a feed for chickens that are laying. A good quality laying pellet or crumble would probably help out a lot.


I feed unlimited brewers grain and in a 30 lb feeder layer mash/crumble and oyster shell mixed in good clean water.
Edited feed grass clippings too
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

kickinbull
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 389
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:31 pm
Location: SC KY

Re: Chicken?

Postby kickinbull » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:30 pm

Thanks for responses. I have been collecting the eggs daily now. (was wifes project) It's much better.
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28274
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Chicken?

Postby TexasBred » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:13 am

kickinbull wrote:I've been all over the net trying to figure out what's going on with our farm flock. We are getting runny yolk eggs. A big percentage of total. Why?
They are getting ground chicken feed 15%. Have a large run. Lots of grit. Their pen is right next to garden and I toss stuff over to them. So they have been getting fresh veggies. Tomatoes and squash.

Going to be hard to isolate the cause but I'd start by going up to an 18% crude protein layer ration. Pick up eggs twice a day if possible and see too if you can determine which chickens are producing the runny eggs. Some of it can be hereditary and some will be "old age". In your case age is probably not a factor.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????


Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests