Dog barking at calf

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
Pamkisaac
Beginner
Beginner

Dog barking at calf

Postby Pamkisaac » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:17 pm

I have a recently rescued German Shepherd that is about 2 years old. We have had him about 2 months. We were thrilled that he did extremely well with our cows. He doesn't try to herd them, doesn't bark at them and seems to have a healthy respect for them if they move too close to him. He has been perfect with them, basically just ignoring them. Today, we had a calf born and now he sits at the fence barking at it non-stop. I will call him back and bring him inside but as soon as I let him back out, he starts again. This is really upsetting the mama. Any suggestions on how to handle this?
0 x

A.J.
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Dog barking at calf

Postby A.J. » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:45 am

Maybe he thinks it's another dog since it's close to his size if he hasnt been around calves before? Hopefully he will realize in the next day or so it is supposed to be there, and look at it like one of the other cows. Has he been in the field with them? I would want to make sure he isnt going to be aggressive with the calf when in the same field. If the mama won't run you off, maybe you could take him on a leash and get in the general vicinity of the calf so he knows it's ok with you for it to be there.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:50 am

I would let the mama show him how upset she is. If you reason with the animal your wasting time.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:07 am

whip his azz
0 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Pamkisaac
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Pamkisaac » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:48 am

AJ, I think you are probably right, he barks like that when he wants to play with the other dogs around here. We recently put in underground fence and it prevents him from getting into the pasture. I just hate seeing him upset the mama and want to put a stop to it. Thanks for the advice folks, hopefully we can get this nipped in the bud!
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:35 am

Pamkisaac wrote:I have a recently rescued German Shepherd that is about 2 years old. We have had him about 2 months. We were thrilled that he did extremely well with our cows. He doesn't try to herd them, doesn't bark at them and seems to have a healthy respect for them if they move too close to him. He has been perfect with them, basically just ignoring them. Today, we had a calf born and now he sits at the fence barking at it non-stop. I will call him back and bring him inside but as soon as I let him back out, he starts again. This is really upsetting the mama. Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Shock collar can fix all bad behavior.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:44 am

callmefence wrote:whip his azz

:lol2: :lol2: :nod: :nod: :nod:
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:32 am

TexasBred wrote:
callmefence wrote:whip his azz

:lol2: :lol2: :nod: :nod: :nod:

:lol: :lol: I missed that... Good one
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Luca Brasi
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Luca Brasi » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:30 am

Take some obedience lessons to teach you how to train the dog to understand the word NO. Change your mentality toward dogs, starting with that rescue crap. It is telling that you have to rely on an underground fence to control him instead of learning how to train him, so adjusting your outlook on animal behavior may be difficult for you. Bringing him in the house is not solving the problem.
0 x

FlyingLSimmentals
GURU
GURU

Postby FlyingLSimmentals » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:04 pm

A shock collar can do wonders. With Dave my Australian Shepard I hardly ever need to use it anymore. He tried to run off with my neighbor's dog the other day and I yelled at him you want me to fry you and he turned around out of a dead run and came back to me. He knows that line or at least the word fry that it means he better get his butt in gear and listen to me.
0 x

Pamkisaac
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Pamkisaac » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:24 pm

Update : After a day of telling him no and redirecting him, he has stopped barking at the calf. :D
0 x

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”