Incubating some eggs?

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
aprille218
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:35 pm
Location: northern MN

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Post by aprille218 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:42 pm

If you use the small penlight version of a maglite with a LED bulb in it it works on all but the darkest shelled eggs.

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47343
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Post by dun » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:42 pm

With brown eggs it takes a helluva strong light. Do you know what you are looking for? If you can see yolk it didn;t germinate, you should be bale to see blood vessels spreading out
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11882
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Post by Bigfoot » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:49 pm

dun wrote:With brown eggs it takes a helluva strong light. Do you know what you are looking for? If you can see yolk it didn;t germinate, you should be bale to see blood vessels spreading out


My hand held spot light comes to mind, but it doesn't seem to be working tonight. I'm making the long trip to rural king a little later, I'll see what they have.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47343
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Post by dun » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:17 pm

I made a candeling deal out of an oatmeal box and a lightbulb. Cut a hole in the solid end about the size f a quarter and put a light bulb inside. I had an old table lamp that I used for the lightbulb. You wuold be surprised how well it works.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
slick4591
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10084
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 25 times
Contact:

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Post by slick4591 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:25 pm

Curious to know if they are developing, BF?
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11882
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Post by Bigfoot » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:00 pm

slick4591 wrote:Curious to know if they are developing, BF?


Some definitely are. Not sure if they all are or not. Seen some definate veins running through some. Should peep middle of next week.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

User avatar
slick4591
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 10084
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm
Location: Farmersville, Texas
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 25 times
Contact:

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Post by slick4591 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:07 pm

I always take the ones that aren't developing out. It only takes one cracked rotten one for you to learn. lol The egg should be mostly dark when candling now.
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11882
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Post by Bigfoot » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:11 pm

slick4591 wrote:I always take the ones that aren't developing out. It only takes one cracked rotten one for you to learn. lol The egg should be mostly dark when candling now.


I can't be 100% sure if they are not developing, or so dark shelled I can't see. Figure I'll sort it out hatching, and hope none bust.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47343
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Post by dun » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:52 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
slick4591 wrote:I always take the ones that aren't developing out. It only takes one cracked rotten one for you to learn. lol The egg should be mostly dark when candling now.


I can't be 100% sure if they are not developing, or so dark shelled I can't see. Figure I'll sort it out hatching, and hope none bust.

You should be able to drop them in water, about 100 degrees, those that float are bad
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11882
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Post by Bigfoot » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:01 pm

dun wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
slick4591 wrote:I always take the ones that aren't developing out. It only takes one cracked rotten one for you to learn. lol The egg should be mostly dark when candling now.


I can't be 100% sure if they are not developing, or so dark shelled I can't see. Figure I'll sort it out hatching, and hope none bust.

You should be able to drop them in water, about 100 degrees, those that float are bad


I will have to do that. Thanks for the tip. It'd be a hot mess if a bad one bust in that incubator.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

User avatar
dun
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 47343
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:34 am
Location: MO Ozarks
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Post by dun » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:22 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
dun wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:
I can't be 100% sure if they are not developing, or so dark shelled I can't see. Figure I'll sort it out hatching, and hope none bust.

You should be able to drop them in water, about 100 degrees, those that float are bad


I will have to do that. Thanks for the tip. It'd be a hot mess if a bad one bust in that incubator.

Hot mess is an under statement
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11882
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Post by Bigfoot » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:37 am

I did the float test. Did 6 eggs. It was running about half and half on floaters and sinkers.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7087
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Post by M-5 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:56 am

Bigfoot wrote:I did the float test. Did 6 eggs. It was running about half and half on floaters and sinkers.


Now you can take the "bad ones" and gently put it in a 1/2 pint jar cap it and shake to break it. Then use it at your own discretion , In an elevator , at church on a car trip . all you want to do is just break the seal a little then close it back real tight . You might even pull a muscle laughing so hard at peoples reactions
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 921
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: NW WI
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Post by Boot Jack Bulls » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:49 pm

M-5 wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I did the float test. Did 6 eggs. It was running about half and half on floaters and sinkers.


Now you can take the "bad ones" and gently put it in a 1/2 pint jar cap it and shake to break it. Then use it at your own discretion , In an elevator , at church on a car trip . all you want to do is just break the seal a little then close it back real tight . You might even pull a muscle laughing so hard at peoples reactions


I just puked a little! :yuck: Thanks a lot M5!
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11882
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Post by Bigfoot » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:43 am

This is day 20, and nothing has peeped yet. I also hear no chirping. I think they all died. I know some made it to day 10 though.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

Post Reply