Page 5 of 6

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:30 am
by slick4591
Good try. Like you said earlier the success rate is pretty low, but I figure you gotta try something.

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:46 am
by M-5
Bigfoot wrote:
M-5 wrote:make sure you sterilize really good before next setting of eggs


Stupid me put a few eggs in Monday.


You need to scrap that batch and start over. Im still trying to find a copy of the instructions I had , I always had a good hatch when following them

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:50 am
by M-5
found it , print these instruction and follow to the letter

http://www.gqfmfg.com/PDF/circ%20instructions.pdf

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:32 pm
by TennesseeTuxedo
Well I just learned more about hatching chicken eggs than I ever figured possible when I signed on here years ago.

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:54 pm
by Bigfoot
M-5 wrote:found it , print these instruction and follow to the letter

http://www.gqfmfg.com/PDF/circ%20instructions.pdf

Thanks a million.

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:51 pm
by Bigfoot
3 live chickens today, out of 48 eggs. 6.25% success rate. Glad my cattle operation isn't going so poorly.

I printed the booklet, I'll study that before the next time. I'm going to get a way to measure humidity, and a new thermometer. Maybe that'll help.

That was my youngest little project. We have a small animal auction here about 6 times a year. A trio usually brings about $25. I've always wondered why they brought so much. I see now, it's no small feet to hatch some chickens, and get them up to layin size.

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:59 pm
by M-5
Bigfoot wrote:3 live chickens today, out of 48 eggs. 6.25% success rate. Glad my cattle operation isn't going so poorly.

I printed the booklet, I'll study that before the next time. I'm going to get a way to measure humidity, and a new thermometer. Maybe that'll help.

That was my youngest little project. We have a small animal auction here about 6 times a year. A trio usually brings about $25. I've always wondered why they brought so much. I see now, it's no small feet to hatch some chickens, and get them up to layin size.


Once you get it down its not bad , I had a turner in mine so all I did was check the water levels every few days and monitor the temps.

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:30 pm
by TennesseeTuxedo
We now know why one should never count his chicks before they hatch.

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:34 pm
by dun
Get or make a wet bulb thermometer. You should be able to find on the net a conversion for wet bulb humidty temperature to humidity.
Splurging the 5 or 10 bucks that a book on incubating eggs would be a good investment also

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:27 am
by holm25
How are your babies doing Bigfoot?

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:25 am
by Bigfoot
holm25 wrote:How are your babies doing Bigfoot?


Doing good. Pretty well feather d out now. I weakened, and bought some chicks at Tsc about a week ago. Seemed like the fastest and easiest way to grow my herd :D

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Posted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:17 am
by slick4591
Glad to know they are doing good, BF. This is what's happening at my house this morning.

Image

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:08 pm
by frieghttrain
slick4591 wrote:Glad to know they are doing good, BF. This is what's happening at my house this morning.

Image

What breed slick?

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:19 pm
by slick4591
White Wyandottes. Ended up with 21 out of 22 viable eggs.

Re: Incubating some eggs?

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:11 pm
by Bigfoot
slick4591 wrote:Glad to know they are doing good, BF. This is what's happening at my house this morning.

Image


Good hatch rate.