Page 1 of 1

Puppy food

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:05 pm
by sske
I'm picking up a rottweiler puppy next week, at the moment he's eating tractor supplys retriever brand puppy food. Can anyone on here give me any pointers on good puppy foods you've used in the past or currently use? I've used pedigree puppy and purina puppy chow in the past with good results, but I'm open to trying something new, I have no experience with the retriever brand he's eating now.
Thank you

Re: Puppy food

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:08 pm
by HDRider
My vet recommended..

Image


viewtopic.php?f=22&t=104779

Re: Puppy food

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:02 pm
by JMJ Farms
Just my opinion but I like Purina puppy chow and I always sprinkle 1/4 cup of milk replacer over the top until they're a year old. And like calves, I prefer to hand feed them rather than free choice, but it's not as convenient for sure.

Re: Puppy food

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:58 pm
by dun
sske wrote:I'm picking up a rottweiler puppy next week, at the moment he's eating tractor supplys retriever brand puppy food. Can anyone on here give me any pointers on good puppy foods you've used in the past or currently use? I've used pedigree puppy and purina puppy chow in the past with good results, but I'm open to trying something new, I have no experience with the retriever brand he's eating now.
Thank you

congrats on the Rott puppy

Re: Puppy food

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:06 pm
by sske
JMJ Farms wrote:Just my opinion but I like Purina puppy chow and I always sprinkle 1/4 cup of milk replacer over the top until they're a year old. And like calves, I prefer to hand feed them rather than free choice, but it's not as convenient for sure.

Thank you, have you done this specifically for rotts or just for puppies in general? And did you use the regular puppy chow or the large breed formula?

Re: Puppy food

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:07 pm
by sske
dun wrote:
sske wrote:I'm picking up a rottweiler puppy next week, at the moment he's eating tractor supplys retriever brand puppy food. Can anyone on here give me any pointers on good puppy foods you've used in the past or currently use? I've used pedigree puppy and purina puppy chow in the past with good results, but I'm open to trying something new, I have no experience with the retriever brand he's eating now.
Thank you

congrats on the Rott puppy

Thank you, im pretty happy about getting him.

Re: Puppy food

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:21 pm
by JMJ Farms
sske wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:Just my opinion but I like Purina puppy chow and I always sprinkle 1/4 cup of milk replacer over the top until they're a year old. And like calves, I prefer to hand feed them rather than free choice, but it's not as convenient for sure.

Thank you, have you done this specifically for rotts or just for puppies in general? And did you use the regular puppy chow or the large breed formula?


Never owned a Rottweiler. Have done it with labs, bulldogs, fox dogs, bird dogs, and hog dogs over the years. I remember the last Puppy Chow being in a blue bag but that's about it.

Re: Puppy food

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:02 am
by sske
JMJ Farms wrote:
sske wrote:
JMJ Farms wrote:Just my opinion but I like Purina puppy chow and I always sprinkle 1/4 cup of milk replacer over the top until they're a year old. And like calves, I prefer to hand feed them rather than free choice, but it's not as convenient for sure.

Thank you, have you done this specifically for rotts or just for puppies in general? And did you use the regular puppy chow or the large breed formula?


Never owned a Rottweiler. Have done it with labs, bulldogs, fox dogs, bird dogs, and hog dogs over the years. I remember the last Puppy Chow being in a blue bag but that's about it.

Thank you, has anyone here had any experience good or bad with the iams large breed puppy food?

Re: Puppy food

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:39 am
by TexasBred
I think the best thing you can do for your puppy is to feed it a variety of ingredients to ensure that it gets enough of everything it needs to stay healthy. Just giving a puppy an extra piece of chicken, oils , and some veggies in addition to the “adult food” will supply healthier nutrients then a puppy chow would offer.

Re: Puppy food

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:18 pm
by pdfangus
MY DOGS EAT WHATEVER MY WIFE IS EATING....
THEY SPLIT A CAN OF DOG FOOD EVERY MORNING
SHE FIXES THEM BOTH A HOT DOG FOR LUNCH EVERY DAY...
THEY GET A HANDFUL OF ASSORTED DOG TREATS AFTER SUPPER.
AT NIGHT THEY GET ICE CREAM AND A COOKIE....
ON THE RARE OCCASION i CAN GET HER TO GO OUT TO EAT SHE ALWAYS BRINGS HALF HER MEAL HOME FOR THE DOGS...

Re: Puppy food

Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:29 pm
by TexasBred
pdfangus wrote:MY DOGS EAT WHATEVER MY WIFE IS EATING....
THEY SPLIT A CAN OF DOG FOOD EVERY MORNING
SHE FIXES THEM BOTH A HOT DOG FOR LUNCH EVERY DAY...
THEY GET A HANDFUL OF ASSORTED DOG TREATS AFTER SUPPER.
AT NIGHT THEY GET ICE CREAM AND A COOKIE....
ON THE RARE OCCASION i CAN GET HER TO GO OUT TO EAT SHE ALWAYS BRINGS HALF HER MEAL HOME FOR THE DOGS...

Wow Jim. You might want to think about wearing a collar. She'd have you spoiled in no time. :lol:

Re: Puppy food

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:13 am
by pdfangus
TexasBred wrote:
pdfangus wrote:MY DOGS EAT WHATEVER MY WIFE IS EATING....
THEY SPLIT A CAN OF DOG FOOD EVERY MORNING
SHE FIXES THEM BOTH A HOT DOG FOR LUNCH EVERY DAY...
THEY GET A HANDFUL OF ASSORTED DOG TREATS AFTER SUPPER.
AT NIGHT THEY GET ICE CREAM AND A COOKIE....
ON THE RARE OCCASION i CAN GET HER TO GO OUT TO EAT SHE ALWAYS BRINGS HALF HER MEAL HOME FOR THE DOGS...



Wow Jim. You might want to think about wearing a collar. She'd have you spoiled in no time. :lol:



when I met her I had a 52 inch chest and a 32 inch waist. I was a business guy then and spent a lot of time at a desk or in a car so I had to go to the gym to keep from being huge....
now I have a pirates chest.....
it has pretty much sunk....
she didn't really like other women noticing me..
so she fattened me up....cake pie and ice cream were standard fare as well as other inducements to keep me out of the gym...
I sure miss middle age....this old man crap is for the birds.