Herding Styles

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Re: Herding Styles

Postby pdfangus » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:47 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:Got a male border collie from a sheep operation. Dog was really high strung and somewhat scared of cows. Actually a bit of a nut job...
The wife likes a dog that barks when someone comes into the yard. I need a dog that can guard an open gate. Shepard suggestions?

border collies are smart but they are just a little too obsessive or psychotic for me....

all of our Aussies except Loreal were always pretty protective of the place and the wife....

We had a mother daughter pair once that we called the Gator girls....they would eat your be nice up.....
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Jdwest
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Jdwest » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:06 am

Would a Heeler and an Australian shepherd be able to work together? My neighbor has an aussie and two heelers and they seem to work well together, is that just luck of the draw and he got really lucky in finding dogs that'll work together or is that a combination that is known to work?
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:34 am

Jdwest wrote:Would a Heeler and an Australian shepherd be able to work together? My neighbor has an aussie and two heelers and they seem to work well together, is that just luck of the draw and he got really lucky in finding dogs that'll work together or is that a combination that is known to work?

I think it would depend upon the skill of the handler and how he taught them....
0 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:04 am

Jdwest wrote:How many dogs would I one person need to work 30-60 pairs? I wouldn't think more than two, but maybe even just one, however I'm not really sure.

Bag of range cubes is the best thing ever invented. A well trained dog is priceless a poor one will cost you till the day you get rid of it.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:51 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Jdwest wrote:How many dogs would I one person need to work 30-60 pairs? I wouldn't think more than two, but maybe even just one, however I'm not really sure.

Bag of range cubes is the best thing ever invented. A well trained dog is priceless a poor one will cost you till the day you get rid of it.

One of the few times I've ever been kicked hard by a cow a damed half trained blue heeler decided to nip at a cow's foot after she was already in the chute and I had my hand up her rear. Dang near killed me and I dang near killed him after I got up off my knees and quit puking. :lol2: :lol2: No more dogs !!!!!
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”