Dog vs. Beaver

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
Chocolate Cow
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Dog vs. Beaver

Postby Chocolate Cow » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:17 pm

TC-I'm betting you have badgers. They're rarely seen during the day. You have holes the size of a dinner plate in an alfalfa field? Probably a badger. Nasty creature with a bad attitude 100% of the time.
0 x

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:30 pm

I seen a hound tore up so bad you could see her heart pump. this was about 45 years ago and I was about 8 yrs. old. I remember they stitched her up and she was good to go in a few weeks a year or so after that she tried her luck on another badger but Grand pa was able to get her off before she got hurt. She was a coon treeing machine if you could put up with her trash mostly badgers and skunks. she would stop in the middle of a hot coon race to kill a skunk then go right on and tree the coon, Grand pa always said it was like a drug for her.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:25 am

Chocolate Cow wrote:TC-I'm betting you have badgers. They're rarely seen during the day. You have holes the size of a dinner plate in an alfalfa field? Probably a badger. Nasty creature with a bad attitude 100% of the time.

I know we have marmots in the alfalfa and armadillos are the bane of my existence (even destroying the yard at the house). We're getting ready to tear up the alfalfa & re-plant with bermuda; I'll have to check out the holes.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:27 am

0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:01 am

greybeard wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsHiOwR7cfc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msdgAJ7tCX8

Un-freakin'-believable! :shock:
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:40 pm

Sorry about your dog... My coon dogs fight coons and get cut up sometimes.
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:34 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Chocolate Cow wrote:TC-I'm betting you have badgers. They're rarely seen during the day. You have holes the size of a dinner plate in an alfalfa field? Probably a badger. Nasty creature with a bad attitude 100% of the time.

I know we have marmots in the alfalfa and armadillos are the bane of my existence (even destroying the yard at the house). We're getting ready to tear up the alfalfa & re-plant with bermuda; I'll have to check out the holes.

I stand corrected. Didn't get a full-blown eye roll when hubby said "of course we have badgers!" but I'm pretty sure he was thiiiis close.
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:35 pm

greybeard wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsHiOwR7cfc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msdgAJ7tCX8

The scientific name of an American badger sounds like a g-man gone wild taxidea taxus.

The new mascot for the government. Image
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:45 pm

Sure beats an ugly duckling.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:17 pm

I have only seen one in my life on a deer hunt out West Texas. That dude is total bada$$ and knows it.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

reeler
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby reeler » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:13 pm

Any update on Obie?
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:40 am

reeler wrote:Any update on Obie?

He's doing great but keeping him somewhat calm so he doesn't break open the staples is a challenge. But he's a great patient and sits still while I clean/spray the wound under his ear and just eats his antibiotic pills if I toss 'em in his food bowl - don't have to disguise them with deli meat or cheese :)
0 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:25 pm

TCRanch wrote:

He's doing great but keeping him somewhat calm so he doesn't break open the staples is a challenge. But he's a great patient and sits still while I clean/spray the wound under his ear and just eats his antibiotic pills if I toss 'em in his food bowl - don't have to disguise them with deli meat or cheese :)

How long is he supposed to be on the antibiotic? If its any length of time, a dose of probiotics may not be a bad idea to keep his gut happy...if hes not a picky eater, yogurt will do the trick too!
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:16 pm

Boot Jack Bulls wrote:
TCRanch wrote:

How long is he supposed to be on the antibiotic? If its any length of time, a dose of probiotics may not be a bad idea to keep his gut happy...if hes not a picky eater, yogurt will do the trick too!

Antibiotics are for 10 days. The last time he killed a beaver he ate it - he has an iron gut! But good idea for possible upset. I keep OTC acid reducers handy for my other lab that will also eat anything and does NOT have an iron gut. I do have probiotics for cattle (prob not the best choice) but yogurt? Even the smell of it makes me gag but if Obie needs it or it would be beneficial I'd suck it up :)
0 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:38 pm

TC, yogurt really does work. When I was a kid, I bought a QH mare off the track for a barrel horse. Her guts (and brain) were fried. She had extensive blood work done, just to find out she needed probiotics on a regular basis. Vet recommended yogurt since it was a cheap, but effective fix. She loved french vanilla yogurt (Dannon) and would eat a big tub full in the blink of an eye! Now, anytime one of my dogs gets an oral med, they get some yogurt as insurance.
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”