Favorite pet

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Favorite pet

Postby Nesikep » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:10 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:I like ferrets there fun to watch

We have some weasels here.. be nice they're cute, but not friendly to chickens.. Now we have raccoons.. and they're proving hard to trap
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:52 am

Current favorite is an orange tabby cat Oscar. He's very loving, playful and listens well, comes when I call, goes when
I point and he's a great hunter/killer. A friend has his full sister a beautiful tortoise shell, but she's not like Oscar at all
she's an aloof lazy fat cat. Both are neutered, but Oscar stayed a lean mean fighting machine.

It was on the local news this morning Minnesota has the fattest cats and dogs in the nation. (We're #1 in something!)
Over feeding and lack of exercise 10 lb cat only needs 200 calories per day to maintain weight.
Oscar gets one 4 cent raw egg (72 calories) and about 1/4 cup of dry cat food (100 cal) per day and has to hunt
for whatever else he wants or needs. Some days he doesn't clean up his dry cat food, yesterday he came out of the
field with a white bellied mouse... calories unknown :)

Best pet I ever had was a German Shepherd he was a very good cattle dog and an excellent watch dog.

I've always wanted to get a baby Elephant or a Giraffe :idea: he could eat the top bales without having to get them down.
Almost got a baby Black Bear a fellow was selling years ago... but thought better of it and I'm glad didn't.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:10 pm

We've had many different pets... Northern flickers (woodpeckers) are really funny. .. we have a pair of resident ravens that are hilarious as well.

Here are two yearling heifers that are both dolls to be around.. just love company.. both of the bulls are about the same.. they come begging for fly spray on their backs

https://goo.gl/photos/a4YQBeLChDczWPu69

I'm more of a cat person than a dog person... u could totally have a pet bobcat... that ought to catch rats and not be eaten by owls and yotes,
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:39 am

I have a couple mules that really like to be with people, one I know was imprinted at birth, both of them like people. I have a mountain cur dog that is a very smart dog that will go any place I let him go with me and be very little problem. Leave him in the back of the PU untied and he will be there when I come back. He is just a little over 7 months old but I am very impressed with him so far. As for wild pets I have had several things and the best pet I ever own that was wildlife was a possum, I kept him for several years he got to weigh 11 lbs.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:47 pm

That's a bit of a new one.. (possum).. I would imagine a racoon could be incredibly entertaining as a pet..
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:42 am

BRYANT wrote: As for wild pets I have had several things and the best pet I ever own that was wildlife was a possum,
I kept him for several years he got to weigh 11 lbs.

yew... they are ugly suckers, can't imagine having one as a pet.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:02 am

Nesikep wrote:That's a bit of a new one.. (possum).. I would imagine a racoon could be incredibly entertaining as a pet..

Had a coon when I was a kid raised it on a bottle. Now that critter was entertaining if you can open it so could she. Now they play rough as well.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:37 am

the coons I had always would bite if you tried to make them do something they did not want to do. The possum never bit when he was about a month old my wife would put him in the pocket of her house coat and he stay there with his head hanging out looking around while she cleaned house. when he got grown he would climb up our pant leg so we would hold him. When my grandson get old enough to raise one I will be trying to find him one, they are easy to find and easy to raise. Yes they are ugly pets
0 x

CindSein
Beginner
Beginner

Postby CindSein » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:45 am

The discussion is very interesting now.
0 x

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:18 pm

BRYANT wrote:I have a couple mules that really like to be with people, one I know was imprinted at birth, both of them like people. I have a mountain cur dog that is a very smart dog that will go any place I let him go with me and be very little problem. Leave him in the back of the PU untied and he will be there when I come back. He is just a little over 7 months old but I am very impressed with him so far. As for wild pets I have had several things and the best pet I ever own that was wildlife was a possum, I kept him for several years he got to weigh 11 lbs.
11 pounds? One that big you could cut back on the sweet taters... :cowboy:
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:21 pm

My favorite pet is a dog that belongs to somebody else......
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:30 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
BRYANT wrote:I have a couple mules that really like to be with people, one I know was imprinted at birth, both of them like people. I have a mountain cur dog that is a very smart dog that will go any place I let him go with me and be very little problem. Leave him in the back of the PU untied and he will be there when I come back. He is just a little over 7 months old but I am very impressed with him so far. As for wild pets I have had several things and the best pet I ever own that was wildlife was a possum, I kept him for several years he got to weigh 11 lbs.
11 pounds? One that big you could cut back on the sweet taters... :cowboy:

I never ate a possum ,Granny always said she ate all she wanted in the Depression and they were to nasty to eat, now I have ate some Coons that Granny baked and they were some good eating.
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:08 am

BRYANT wrote:the coons I had always would bite if you tried to make them do something they did not want to do. The possum never bit when he was about a month old my wife would put him in the pocket of her house coat and he stay there with his head hanging out looking around while she cleaned house. when he got grown he would climb up our pant leg so we would hold him. When my grandson get old enough to raise one I will be trying to find him one, they are easy to find and easy to raise. Yes they are ugly pets

Do you use pool sticks to pass around pots of vittles at the fancy eatin table and does your cousin's uncle have a cement pond in his back yard?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:52 pm

greybeard wrote:
BRYANT wrote:the coons I had always would bite if you tried to make them do something they did not want to do. The possum never bit when he was about a month old my wife would put him in the pocket of her house coat and he stay there with his head hanging out looking around while she cleaned house. when he got grown he would climb up our pant leg so we would hold him. When my grandson get old enough to raise one I will be trying to find him one, they are easy to find and easy to raise. Yes they are ugly pets

Do you use pool sticks to pass around pots of vittles at the fancy eatin table and does your cousin's uncle have a cement pond in his back yard?

No pool sticks or cement ponds , but they were raised in some hard times and had to eat things worse than a possum. Granny could cook up some good eating out of things that other people might not would eat, carp patties, fried ell, they never threw a way a drum fish. squirrels o my goodness fry em , dumplings and you always ate the brains. Hard times will make you learn to eat things that you might not would other wise. It will also teach you to stretch a dollar and make it last I am happy to say when they left this world ,in their 80's, they had showed me a lot of things that the younger generation does not know and never will. They also saved and pinched every penny they could and left this world having done well in life but " no cement ponds".
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:07 am

Very true Bryant.. which is why I am not jumping on the "ban dog meat" bandwagon in Korea.. Like any animal, they should be raised and slaughtered with respect, but yes, hard times will make you a lot less fussy about what's on your plate, as long as there is something there... I've had mountain lion, I'd eat horse in an instant, I've eaten at enough chinese restaurants I've probably had some Garfield snuck in there.. young bear is delicious.
0 x

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”