worth getting these dogs? Free....

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
BK9954
GURU
GURU

worth getting these dogs? Free....

Postby BK9954 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Anyone have any experience with these dogs, I do have children and Guinea fowls. My youngest child is 9.

Approximately 4 month old female catahoula and 1 yr old male red and white border collie.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

JSCATTLE
GURU
GURU

Re: worth getting these dogs? Free....

Postby JSCATTLE » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:43 pm

That border collie is gonna give those birds heck until you break it from chasing them . Mine is standing at the chicken pen in the rain right now. She has a 1 ft path trampled around the pen where she runs back and forth . Her new shock collar came in this morning so when it stops flooding I'm gonna fix her up.
0 x
God bless America .. 1/20/17 ..

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:00 pm

JSCATTLE wrote:That border collie is gonna give those birds heck until you break it from chasing them . Mine is standing at the chicken pen in the rain right now. She has a 1 ft path trampled around the pen where she runs back and forth . Her new shock collar came in this morning so when it stops flooding I'm gonna fix her up.

I can't have a guinea killer around the house.
0 x
"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it" Winston Churchill

BRYANT
GURU
GURU

Postby BRYANT » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:12 pm

I have had 2 different dogs that did not mind chickens but would kill a guinea. I always thought it might have something to do with the sound that they make.
0 x
God Bless America Again, Help Us To See All Lives Matter

BK9954
GURU
GURU

Postby BK9954 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:55 pm

BRYANT wrote:I have had 2 different dogs that did not mind chickens but would kill a guinea. I always thought it might have something to do with the sound that they make.

My mutt that grew up in a back yard leaves them alone, but my last heeler on the other hand, It took a couple chasing and yelling scenes for her to understand not to mess with the guineas. Unfortunately she got hit by a bus 2 weeks ago.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:56 pm

Border Collies are pretty easy to break of bad habits. Of course it is better to break them of it before it becomes a habit. My BC will walk through a flock of chickens without a sideways glance.
0 x

ez14.
Rancher
Rancher

Postby ez14. » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:42 pm

We had a blond border collie for a long time (17 years) and he wouldn't kill the chickens! Liked to run through them some times and watch them scatter but never hurt them

And he would follow us kids around everywhere never getting more then a few feet away. And if me dad was around he would tolerate strangers but if it was just us kids around nobody was allowed to come on the property. I'm pretty sure it's not true but when I was younger we were lead to believe that if we didn't come when my parents called he would bite us :lol:
0 x

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”