Breaking dog from chasing cattle

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
denoginnizer
GURU
GURU

Breaking dog from chasing cattle

Postby denoginnizer » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:27 pm

My wifes dog has a bad habit of chasing cattle. The dog , cady, is a city dog and I would like to eventually get her used to being around cattle without chasing them.
We currently keep her , the dog, on a leash when around cattle. Cady stays in her fenced yard during the day-- any suggestions?
0 x

Txwalt
GURU
GURU

Postby Txwalt » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:39 pm

Shock collar.

Walt
0 x

cattleluvr18
GURU
GURU

Postby cattleluvr18 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:56 pm

Txwalt wrote:Shock collar.

Walt

i could not agree more.
0 x
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of being
~Kelly~
facebook.com/kellyr18

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Re: Breaking dog from chasing cattle

Postby msscamp » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:55 pm

denoginnizer wrote:My wifes dog has a bad habit of chasing cattle. The dog , cady, is a city dog and I would like to eventually get her used to being around cattle without chasing them.
We currently keep her , the dog, on a leash when around cattle. Cady stays in her fenced yard during the day-- any suggestions?

I wouldn't use a shock collar except as a last resort, because too many dogs figure it out, and because it is useless without the collar and shocker. First off, I would work on her obedience training - until I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that she knows what 'no' means, that she will come on command - regardless of what she is chasing, or what is in her yard - will lay down, and stay on command reliably. Then I would take her for walks around the cattle, on a leash, so I could correct her behaviour immediately. I would then progress to walks on a longer rope - she has a little more freedom, but I can still control the situation. If she does not have a good base of obedience training, it is all a waste of time because she will not mind off leash - dogs are not stupid, they know when you have physical control of them and when you don't.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

Keren
GURU
GURU

Postby Keren » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:38 am

I agree completely with msscamp. But also, if you were going to use a collar I would use the citronella or ultrasound rather than the shock. Apart from being more humane they are usually cheaper.
0 x
I'll go without sleep trying to save one and then mope around for days if I lose it. -- jkwilson

Dusty Britches
GURU
GURU

Re: Breaking dog from chasing cattle

Postby Dusty Britches » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:25 am

msscamp wrote:I wouldn't use a shock collar except as a last resort, because too many dogs figure it out, and because it is useless without the collar and shocker. First off, I would work on her obedience training - until I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that she knows what 'no' means, that she will come on command - regardless of what she is chasing, or what is in her yard - will lay down, and stay on command reliably. Then I would take her for walks around the cattle, on a leash, so I could correct her behaviour immediately. I would then progress to walks on a longer rope - she has a little more freedom, but I can still control the situation. If she does not have a good base of obedience training, it is all a waste of time because she will not mind off leash - dogs are not stupid, they know when you have physical control of them and when you don't.

This just bears repeating.
0 x
Tracey '91
Crescent Moon Ranch

Bez>
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez> » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:33 am

Wifes dog? Do you like it or would you like to see it gone?

Claim a neighbour "must have shot it for chasing because, "Honest honey I have not seen Pookie all week." Be sure to bury it deep.

Shock collar works - but you need to leave a dummy on when it is not in use - works great on hunting dogs - but they figure it out pretty quick. Used properly they are a great tool and not a torture machine - so do not worry about the inhumane / humane part - responsibly used they are wonderful.

Obedience is good - if you have the time, patience and maybe money.

Or drag a 40 foot rope from it - when it chases - grab the rope, haul it in and beat the crap out of it.

Or final resort - give it to someone you do not like and start over?

Probably lots more ways - but you have an uphill battle. Or bring it here and put it out with my cows a week after calving season. They usually stand their ground pretty good. Even my dogs cannot make the move without a serious fight. Dogs learned early to keep away.

Or, you can do this and yes it works. Pen up a couple of quiet cattle - a whole bunch is better - and put your dog pen in the middle of the pen (in it's own pen). Leave the dog in it's pen with some food and water - two days (three is better) and walk away. Time you return the mutt will have shut up. Repeat as required - I only ever repeated this once.

There ya' go.

Good luck - :D ,

Bez
0 x

Alice
Deja Moo
Deja Moo

Postby Alice » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:59 am

Was the dog kept in a fenced yard in the city? If so, then that's what it knows and that's where it needs to say. My dogs have been behind a fence their whole lives, and the one or two times I thought I would give them a treat and let them out, they ran and ran and ran and I was a nervous wreck until I got them back. And, if I'd not been so relieved to get them back, I'd have...well never mind...

Avoid frustration and temptation to do what I was thinking I'd l like to do when mine ran and ran...leave the dog in the yard and get a dog that you can train to do what you'd like for it to do. Your wife's dog is safer behind the fence in the yard. And your sanity and marriage are worth something.

Alice
0 x
ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

peg4x4
GURU
GURU

Postby peg4x4 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:58 am

What kind of dog-what is it bred to do?
Friend of mine couldn't figgure out why her dog killed the rabbits.Asked "What kind of dog" "Malimute~~~OH,and Wolf hybred.." Told her to watch the kids real close if they wern't gonna get rid of the dog...which they should...
0 x
"In the Spring,I have counted 136 different kinds of weather in 24 hours."
Mark Twain,who must'a been in Texas at the time

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:03 pm

Bez> wrote:
Claim a neighbour "must have shot it for chasing because, "Honest honey I have not seen Pookie all week." Be sure to bury it deep.

Bez

Post hole digger works good.

cfpinz
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Bez>
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Bez> » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:21 pm

cfpinz wrote:
Bez> wrote:

Bez

cfpinz

A joke!! A joke!! I promise I meant it as a joke!

Yer gonna' make me look bad. :D

Bez>
0 x

Susie David
GURU
GURU

Postby Susie David » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:52 pm

Agree...a cow that doesn't like dogs will train the little fella real quick....the dog may even survive.
Or, you can spend the time and work the dog on a leash with the cows.
Our Springer has been stomped, kicked like a soccer ball and pushed through a fence...has a healthy respect for cattle now but still will get between Susie and a cow.
Just my two bits worth...asked for or not.....Dmc
0 x
Susie David's Cattle Company LLC
"From Pasture to Plate 100% Natural Beef"

cfpinz
GURU
GURU

Postby cfpinz » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:49 pm

Bez> wrote:

Bez>

You don't need any help! :lol:

cfpinz
0 x
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

mdmdogs3
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mdmdogs3 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:00 pm

Does the dog get enough exercise?

Back before I lived on the farm one of my Labs would take off any chance she got (not often, I lived within 1/2 a block of 2 busy streets). I'd then spend 30 min or so following her all over the neighborhood with treats and my other dog as bait. Eventually she would allow me to catch her. (Do you remember that I taught dog obedience classes :oops: ) When she got to the farm for our visits, she was possessed for the first couple of days; she would run and run, sometimes chasing a squirrel, stray cat, or even a cow that would then fight back.
I assumed then and know now that her whole problem was she needed lots more exercise than she got. After she moved here, instead of 90% of her time being spent in the house, 99% of her time is spent outside. And her yard went from a postage stamp to about 20 acres (plus the pastures).
The chasing of everything has all but ended and I haven't seen her even look at a cow for months and months.
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:31 pm

Bez> wrote:
cfpinz wrote:
Bez> wrote:

Bez

cfpinz

A joke!! A joke!! I promise I meant it as a joke!

Bez>

Yeah right ;-) I have been thinking 22 dog is trained.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”