heartworm prevention in dogs

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
DrumRunner728
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby DrumRunner728 » Wed May 23, 2007 12:33 pm

md, if I have to wait until she's 2 (God forbid 3) before she turns it down a notch, I think I'll jump off the roof! Just about the time you think you can't take any more of her nonsense and would like to choke her, she jumps in your lap and gives you big, enthusiastic, puppy kisses. Geez!
0 x
Don't call her a cowgirl 'til you see her ride.

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Thu May 24, 2007 7:51 pm

DrumRunner728 wrote:md, if I have to wait until she's 2 (God forbid 3) before she turns it down a notch, I think I'll jump off the roof! Just about the time you think you can't take any more of her nonsense and would like to choke her, she jumps in your lap and gives you big, enthusiastic, puppy kisses. Geez!

She's no dummy! She knows exactly how to get back in your good graces! :lol: :lol: :lol: BTW, ALL puppies are stinkers - the only thing that varies is the degree! ;-)
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

DrumRunner728
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby DrumRunner728 » Fri May 25, 2007 7:58 am

Oh, she's definitely no dummy. As with most Aussies, you can just see the intelligence in her eyes. She looks at me sometimes with the "I know I'm drivin' you crazy but you adore me" look. Whatcha gonna do? :P

Here are my boys waiting on mom to feed horses. The one on the left is actually the father of the "puppy" on the right. The mother is the black tri in the above photo. The red tri is no relation to any of them.

0 x
Don't call her a cowgirl 'til you see her ride.

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Fri May 25, 2007 10:00 pm

DrumRunner728 wrote:Whatcha gonna do? :P

Yes, I know. My dogs would be much better mannered if I could just stop laughing at their antics long enough to discipline them. :oops: :lol: :lol: They know when I'm serious, so it works out ok.
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

ffscj
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby ffscj » Wed May 30, 2007 8:55 am

Using ivermectin in dogs is like anything else: safe in the right doseages, poison in the wrong amounts. When we had our Rotty rescue we used ivermectin for heartworm prevention and as a treatment for dogs with heartworms. This was done under the supervision of a vet who we trusted. He had participated in
research using ivermectin for heartworms and had great results. We used it monthly in all of our dogs and followed the regiment for those with heartworms. Had great results and no ill effects. In those with heartworms we saw immediate improvement in the coats and physical condition.

Chris
0 x

VAStocker
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby VAStocker » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 am

We have about 75 fox hounds and all get ivomec for prevention of heart worms 1/10 of a cc per 10#'s of body weight you can either inject it or give it orally what ever you prefer but I think any tye of collie or close relation you have to be very careful with what you use to prevent heart worms even some of the more expensive products on the market say to not use this product on collies.
0 x

mtncows
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

worming dogs

Postby mtncows » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:17 am

I WILL NOT use any Ivomec type wormer for my Border Collie again. We used the right dosage in a dog formla from the vet several times but the dog got lethargic for a couple days afterward for several days. Switched to another product and have no problems.Works great in sheep and cattle!!
0 x

mom to 4
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby mom to 4 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:10 pm

I spoke to my vet about this and he said that he would not use it in any type of herding dog as they can be sensitive to ivermectin. Other breeds, German Shepherds for instance, do quite well with it. As with any drug you do have to be careful about the dosage.
0 x
Rhonda
"Children are like sharp arrows. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full"

peg4x4
GURU
GURU

Postby peg4x4 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:32 pm

I know Greyhounds are very sensitive,and need special meds,
but never thought that bout Collie types..Learn something new every day. ;-)
0 x
"In the Spring,I have counted 136 different kinds of weather in 24 hours."
Mark Twain,who must'a been in Texas at the time

alabama
GURU
GURU

Postby alabama » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:52 pm

I have used pour on Ivomec on dogs for years. My dogs get heartworm pills from the vet every month but there are other dogs around that don’t get anything. So to keep them from infecting my dogs they get Ivomec. It cost almost nothing to treat a 70-pound dog with generic Ivomec.
For the neighbors dog, he gets a dose of Ivomec about 2cc on the back every month or so. The kids seem to bring around a dog every now and then they say has worms so they get a dose. I tell them that if the dog has heartworms it will kill him. And with that known, I treat the dog. I have not had one die yet.
0 x

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”