Barn Cats

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.

How many barn cats?

none
14%
1-3
40%
3-5
21%
5-7
4%
7+
21%

Total votes: 57

Lammie
GURU
GURU

Postby Lammie » Fri May 25, 2007 2:59 pm

My grandma had several, all long haired and gray and all named Lulu.

I think I have at least 2. I don't see them except for when they scatter. I guess I need more. I keep seeing mice everywhere. Nothing like getting a scoop of feed out a barrel and finding a mouse in the scoop.
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Fri May 25, 2007 9:54 pm

Well, my momma barn cat has moved her 4 kittens back into my flower bed. :lol: :lol: I guess it's a good thing I haven't gotten around to planting it yet. ;-)
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

mnmtranching
GURU
GURU

Postby mnmtranching » Sun May 27, 2007 10:02 pm

I thought there were 2 both gray, I think :roll: today I saw a brown one, I think :shock: I believe I have two maybe more. :(
0 x
Its the cost of production and the value of your marketable product, or if you having fun. That's it, everything else is BS.

Moocow11
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Moocow11 » Sun May 27, 2007 11:02 pm

well at one time we had about 30 barn cats on 11acers with 23 building and now we have 11 with the sam eland a sbefore i tmost be my new "about to be cowdog" australian shepard
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Sun May 27, 2007 11:48 pm

Update on the number of barn cats - today my niece discovered 2 more litters of 4 kittens each. That brings the total (as of today, anyway) to 3 adults & 12 kittens. The father appears to be of Siamese persuasion, as all of the kittens who have their eyes open have the bluest eyes I've ever seen!
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

Frankie
GURU
GURU

Postby Frankie » Mon May 28, 2007 9:41 am

We have one full time barn cat. We got her from the vet with a new litter of kittens. She raised the kittens down in the barn and has stayed there since. We had her spayed, so am not sure what we're going to do for a replacement. She looks worse every year, thin and scrawney, and we think every year will be her last. But we don't have any mice and she's always glad to see us when we drop in to visit her domain.

We have a timcat, too (neutered Tom). He's a barn cat at night, but spends his days sleeping in the house. What a life he has. :D He's getting some age on him, too.
0 x

L Weir
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby L Weir » Mon May 28, 2007 9:52 am

We have 6 indoor/ outdoor cats. They can come in to eat cat food and can go out to do whatever. They all do their part to keep the mice and rats down. The females are all spayed or neutered what ever applies to females.
0 x

cattleluvr18
GURU
GURU

Postby cattleluvr18 » Mon May 28, 2007 5:01 pm

thank the lord we only have 3. they are all freakin weirdo's too. but were about to add to the bunch unfortunetly. i do love baby's but that is it. the only cat that i actually like got ran over. :cry: all the little nasty's are inbred. at one time we had 15 little baby kittys. there were ssoo cute, but somehow within a few months we got down to three. thats ok with me. its funny cause you never see the cats with a rat, just the mentally challenged (im not even joking) farm dog. he always has one of those sick rats around.
0 x
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of being
~Kelly~
facebook.com/kellyr18

Moocow11
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Moocow11 » Mon May 28, 2007 5:09 pm

spunds like my dog " retardo" yes that is his name. he always ha smice in his mouth
0 x

mnmtranching
GURU
GURU

Postby mnmtranching » Mon May 28, 2007 10:14 pm

Frankie wrote:We have one full time barn cat. We got her from the vet with a new litter of kittens. She raised the kittens down in the barn and has stayed there since. We had her spayed, so am not sure what we're going to do for a replacement. She looks worse every year, thin and scrawney, and we think every year will be her last. But we don't have any mice and she's always glad to see us when we drop in to visit her domain.

We have a timcat, too (neutered Tom). He's a barn cat at night, but spends his days sleeping in the house. What a life he has. :D He's getting some age on him, too.

Oklahoma isn't that far from Wyoming, bet Msscamp would give up a kitten to a good home. :D ;-) :oops:
0 x
Its the cost of production and the value of your marketable product, or if you having fun. That's it, everything else is BS.

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Mon May 28, 2007 11:14 pm

mnmtranching wrote:
Frankie wrote:We have one full time barn cat. We got her from the vet with a new litter of kittens. She raised the kittens down in the barn and has stayed there since. We had her spayed, so am not sure what we're going to do for a replacement. She looks worse every year, thin and scrawney, and we think every year will be her last. But we don't have any mice and she's always glad to see us when we drop in to visit her domain.

Oklahoma isn't that far from Wyoming, bet Msscamp would give up a kitten to a good home. :D ;-) :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

Bullbuyer
GURU
GURU

Postby Bullbuyer » Wed May 30, 2007 7:36 am

We have a cat crew of about 10 - constantly getting new members and others taking vacations. They are a rag-tag bunch but they are very good at their job. Relatively low maintenance and haven't seen a rodent for a long time.
0 x

GMN
GURU
GURU

cats

Postby GMN » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:17 pm

I have about 35 cats on the farm, guess I got ya all beat.

GMN
0 x

Not-So-Plain-Country Girl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Not-So-Plain-Country Girl » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:13 pm

We have eight cats. It pays to get them spayed ASAP!! We can not seem to call animal control when we get drop-off's. You should find them handy to have around. Some will kill rats and some will kill snakes. They are worth having around!!
0 x
A cowgirl is actually a cowboy, but much prettier!!

CowCop
Rancher
Rancher

Postby CowCop » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:23 am

~

We have 3 full time barn cats, and sometimes a dozen temporary "visiting" cats.

2 of the fulltimers were "drive-by" dropoffs, and the other was a tenants ( but I didn't know ) Russian Blue house pet that didnt like the 3 kids in the house.

Any cat that hangs around the property for more than 24 hours is immediately captured ( by me ) and taken to the vet to be s/neutered & Vaccinated.

So the expensive Russian Blue got neutered along with dozens of other cats I trapped and transported one month.

Sometimes visitors to the farm take aliking to a particular cat, and we let them "adopt" it.

It's a great way to keep our cat population from "overgrazing."

And we always get postcards & presents from the new adoptee.

The 3 resident barn cats really hunt far and wide.
Mice, moles, chipmunks, pigeons, snakes, BIG bugs, lizards and other vermin parts are seen scattered in their favorite feeding areas.

These cats also "supervise" some of our big job projects on the farm. They arrive every mornng where ever we are repairing a building, fence or working cattle and sit and watch.
0 x
CowCop
Home is where the herd is.

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”