Speaking of drop off's.

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
mnmtranching
GURU
GURU

Speaking of drop off's.

Postby mnmtranching » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:18 pm

This one's a new one for me.

Know what it is?
0 x
Its the cost of production and the value of your marketable product, or if you having fun. That's it, everything else is BS.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:24 pm

Other then the peacock I can't tell. Is the one you're talking about that brown lump?

dun
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Beefy
GURU
GURU

Postby Beefy » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:26 pm

now thats a pretty cool throw away. peacocks are pretty and expensive too.
0 x
So this doe walks out of a forest...sez "I'm NEVER doing that for fifty bucks again!"

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:31 pm

Beefy wrote:now thats a pretty cool throw away. peacocks are pretty and expensive too.

Someone probably got tired of hearing it yell "HALP"
0 x

mnmtranching
GURU
GURU

Postby mnmtranching » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:24 pm

dun wrote:
Beefy wrote:now thats a pretty cool throw away. peacocks are pretty and expensive too.

You know, I've been hearing that "HALP" for a few day's never heard anything like it before. You that heard it know what I'm talking about. So are these critters Winter hardy?
0 x
Its the cost of production and the value of your marketable product, or if you having fun. That's it, everything else is BS.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch
GURU
GURU

Postby Mahoney Pursley Ranch » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:28 pm

It could have wandered away from it's home,peacocks are known to be nomadic.
0 x
If it will it will
If it won't it won't ---------- Bocephus

cattleluvr18
GURU
GURU

Postby cattleluvr18 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:51 pm

hes so pretty...and thats about all they have goin for them.
0 x
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them become what they are capable of being
~Kelly~
facebook.com/kellyr18

mdmdogs3
Rancher
Rancher

Postby mdmdogs3 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:09 pm

Aunt and Uncle used to have them here in Arkansas - in a pen similar to their chicken coop - so I'd guess they'd need protection similar to a chicken...

be sure to look around they do drop feathers and they make pretty decorations
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Re: Speaking of drop off's.

Postby msscamp » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:04 pm

mnmtranching wrote:This one's a new one for me.

Know what it is?

Sorry, all I see is a peacock. They do tend to wander in and out as they please, though. Had one wander in about 2 years ago, feed it a little ground corn and the next day there were 2. Needless to say, I stopped feeding them - I was afraid I would wake up the next day to 4! :shock:
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:06 pm

mnmtranching wrote:
dun wrote:

You know, I've been hearing that "HALP" for a few day's never heard anything like it before. You that heard it know what I'm talking about. So are these critters Winter hardy?

Well, they were winter hardy here. One day one just disappeared, then a few months later the other one did, too. :?:
0 x
Women and cats are going to do what they want, men and dogs would be wise to accept this.

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:09 pm

cattleluvr18 wrote:hes so pretty...and thats about all they have goin for them.

I would disagree with that statement - they kept our alleyways clean, ate bugs, cleaned up after the cattle, and always let me know when someone was on the place. They drove Dad nuts because they were always doing their business where they shouldn't, but I actually miss the little buggers! :o :lol: :lol:
0 x

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Postby msscamp » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:13 pm

mdmdogs3 wrote:...so I'd guess they'd need protection similar to a chicken...

The two that showed up here roosted in the uppermost branches of a big cottonwood tree in the middle of the yard. My dogs took after them a time or two, and it's amazing how fast and high they can fly, too! :shock: I've seen Cia catch birds in flight after they took off from a fence, but she couldn't catch the peacocks.
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:09 am

The one person I know of that has a wild flock of around 50 birds lived in the high Sierra in california. That reproduced every year and had no care. The were as wild as quail but liked to strut the roof ridge of the ranch house. And of course the yelled "HALP" during the breeding season. May have done it other times but that's the only time I recall hearing them.
0 x

Keren
GURU
GURU

Postby Keren » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:20 am

Actually peacocks can be pretty useful around the farm. Apart from cleaning up like msscamp mentioned, they are really good at attacking snakes, and they work well for our situation because when the does are kidding they tend to scream bloody murder - peacocks don't like their environment being upset so they scream bloody murder too. Between the both of them, we can get up in the night to assist the birth (if need be).

If you want them to stick around, get them in a shed and lock them up with feed for three or four months. They will generally stay around after that.

As far as protection goes, you just have to make sure they roost high enough in a tree - occassionally you may have to lift one up for the first few nights in a new place until they get the idea.
0 x
I'll go without sleep trying to save one and then mope around for days if I lose it. -- jkwilson

doublec_ranch
Beginner
Beginner

Peacock Possibilities

Postby doublec_ranch » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:53 am

You just wait till one dark scary night, and that thing "Halps." I'm from the country, and those things are loud! I would pen the thing up, especially if you like it. They are "flighty" as some old timers would say, and I've heard stories about people catching them and taking their Fans. Better watch it, and care for it.
0 x
Matt

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”