Dogs never cease to amaze me

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Dogs never cease to amaze me

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:53 am

My dog Eli thinks he is a human and his some funny ways just like people. We have had a lot of wind here lately. Winds were so strong they blew over my mower and made a mess out of a lot of things. One thing the wind did was blow over Eli's chair which is one of those collapsible camp chairs that he sits in when I'm working in the barn. Its by his water dish and has some shade and in the mornings it gets a nice sun beam on it. He loves it and gets a little upset if anyone dares to sit in it. Anyhow, I had noticed the chair had been blown over by the wind and noticed Eli had been laying by the mat by the door rather than sitting in the chair. With all the stuff I had to pick up from the wind I just overlooked righting the chair. Anyhow, for a couple of days I've noticed him laying by the door whenever I checked on him. Today I heard some noise outside and thought he might be bothering the chickens so I stepped outside to see what was going on and found him laying contently in his righted chair. Now I know I'm getting old and can't remember squat but I'd be willing to swear on a stack of Bibles I did not right the chair which leaves only him and this would explain the noise. And yes, he's a happy camper now that his world is put back in order. :lol2:

Have you ever had animals do some amazing stuff?
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Re: Dogs never cease to amaze me

Postby Ouachita » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:24 am

When I was a toddler/young boy, my grandad had a german shepperd named Duke. Duke would babysit me. My grandad was a carpenter, and sometimes he would take me along on his house/barn building enterprise. Duke would bite by diaper, then later my shirt, or gently grab an arm and keep me within what he thought was a safe perimeter area. He was constantly aware of my every move. I remember my mom letting me go to work with grandad was conditional. Duke had to go along.
0 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:31 am

My Lab eats all her meals in her crate that i use to carry her on hunting and other trips. Lately she has started setting her food dish outside the kennel after she eats.

She also likes to keep house. She has an old bathroom rug she sleeps on in there and it gets all balled up. I have not touched it since i gave it to her and about every third day i will go by there and see it all stretched out to the corners like i did it for her.

Right now she is bred and she is a complete nutcase. She is worse emotionally than any pregnant woman i have ever seen.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:48 am

German shepards are smart dogs. When I was young I had one named Butch that was brilliant. He would play hide and seek with us and he would wait on the front steps to give us time to hide then he'd come find us. He loved it.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:49 pm

One of my older dogs greets me at the front gate every morning by jumping up and grabbing the collar on my coveralls and hanging from them. Once I get changed into ranch clothes he tells me he loves me by gripping my forearm just a little and it's almost always my right arm.
Last year I blew my arm up pretty bad. I came home from work hurting pretty bad. He came flying up the way he always does and aborted his collar snatch about half way through mid flight and looked at me like something was wrong. Until I got healed up he was really careful around me and his grips were always on my left arm.
I am going to bawl like a little girl when that one goes and he's going to have a great life until then.
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:14 pm

cow pollinater wrote:One of my older dogs greets me at the front gate every morning by jumping up and grabbing the collar on my coveralls and hanging from them. Once I get changed into ranch clothes he tells me he loves me by gripping my forearm just a little and it's almost always my right arm.
Last year I blew my arm up pretty bad. I came home from work hurting pretty bad. He came flying up the way he always does and aborted his collar snatch about half way through mid flight and looked at me like something was wrong. Until I got healed up he was really careful around me and his grips were always on my left arm.
I am going to bawl like a little girl when that one goes and he's going to have a great life until then.

My buddies little boxer bytch will come up and take my hand in her mouth and lead me top the door when i go visit him. She took months to make up to me and now i can't get rid of her. She's so gentle i can hardly feel her and she just takes me by the fingers.
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

hillsdown
GURU
GURU

Postby hillsdown » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:54 pm

I love this thread !

Reading all of your stories one cannot help but have a huge smile . :D
0 x
HD

{No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having the love of a dog makes you rich.
Louis Sabin}

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:49 pm

When I first got married I bought a blood hound named Jessica. Got her a little young but she and I bonded well. She slept at the foot of my bed and had learned to let herself in and out of the house by using the door knobs. (she just never learned to shut the door behind her0 Anyway, this got to be second nature with us till my father died and we went home. Of course, I took Jess with me but she wasn't welcomed in the house and since my mother's house had different door handles Jessica couldn't let herself in. As you all know there are a lot of visitors who come to pay their respects so Jessica stayed outsided greeting everyone. When all this finally subsided - I was about to come out of my skin cause I don't like crowds - the doorbell rang and I got up to see who it might be. Looked out the window and no one was there. I sat down again. Door bell rang again. I got up and stormed to the front door and opened it and there sat Jessica. She had figured out how to open the door by watching all the visitors. All you need to do is push the button. After seeing that, my mom welcomed Jessica was welcomed into the house and Jess was the perfect lady.

The sad thing about Jess was I moved uptown and bought built a house in a nice neighborhood that required all pets to remain in pens or on a leash. I couldn't do this to Jessica so I gave her to one of my friend's children who loved her a lot. The first morning in the neighborhood I looked around and saw all these neighborhood dogs roaming the streets. I enquired to the neighborhood president about the policy and he agreed it was in the rules but that some attorney had written it up and everyone in the neighborhood loved dogs and they didn't abide by that rule. I was sick to my stomache for some time but I wasn't an indian giver.
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:43 pm

My dad adopted a big old dog a few years before he died. Actually the dog adopted him. Must have weighed 130 lbs. or so. Daddy named him Hobo. Hobo roamed a lot "taking care of business" so someone told my dad that if he had him castrated he would stay at home. Dad had it done and about two days latter Hobo disappeared again for a couple days. Dad mentioned it to the guys at the domino hall and one of them told him "He77 man...he's just out cancelling all those dates he had lined up".

Mom and Dad lived next door to a little baptist church. Every Sunday morning when church was finished the minister, his wife and young daughter would stand outside the door and shake hands with all the folks and Hobo would be sitting right beside them. He's put his paw up for everyone to shake his paw. When it came time for Vacation Bible School in the Summer, Hobo got a certificate for perfect attendance as well as one for pop corn eating champion. When my dad passed away Hobo went over to the church about a week latter. Crawled up under the building and died there. (But he had been baptized Catholic). :lol2:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:19 pm

TB, that's a great story.

My dad was a vet and one day we were in the OR working on a dog when there came a scratching on the door. I opened the ER door and there sat a mangled dog holding his paw up to show me it was hurt. Dad told me to put it in a cage and make him comfortable and as soon as he finished we worked on this dog. Apparantly it had been run over by a car. Anyhow, he fixed it up and we got the owner's information off the rabies tag and called them. About a week later and every Saturday from that day on for some years, this dog would come to the office and scratch on the door to the OR and we'd let him in. He would then make his rounds visiting all the sick animals. Once he had given them his best he would go and sit by the door to let us know it was time for him to go home. Oh, and the dog lived over two miles from the office.
0 x

cowpunk'd
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cowpunk'd » Tue May 21, 2013 4:59 pm

On a hike I found a baby crow on the trail, crying and squawking; it had the beginings of a cataract of some sort on one eye and of course it had to come home with me. It was easy to hand feed and soon it had fledged. My dog Brio was always with me then and also had a keen interest in the little squawker.
One day while I was walking thru the cow pasture crow-baby took a short practice flight from my arm, his first. He landed in the grass a ways off and started crying. Then a bunch of things seemed to happen at once. A wf heifer looked up from grazing, sighted the crow and bounded off playfully towards it . Brio also shot off, but there was nothing playfull in the way he was moving. He had some serious intention. I just knew it was prey drive. So then I was running at my top speed, shouting at the dog, and seeing that my normally obedient dog had not even flicked an ear in my direction to aknowledge my command. I didn't know which would reach the crow first, dog or heifer, but either one it wouldn't be pretty. In a way I hoped it would be the dog, his hard mouth would be a quick sure death, the heifer might only partially smoosh little crow-baby and right then I knew I would have to tell Brio to finish him off. I couldn't do it.
Now realize all theses thoughts went thru my head in the time it takes to run eight or nine steps, while I shouted "Leave it" in my scariest voice. And then the amazing thing happened. My dog, who had still not even flicked an ear in my direction, stopped the heifer. His instinct was the same as mine, rescue the baby. He got infront of the cow and into her face and stopped her. Baby crow was saved.
0 x

muleskinner
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby muleskinner » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:18 am

Thats for sure. My sons pet Mountain cur this spring surprised me and him. We were planting potatos and we had the rows dug and had droped the potatos and started to cover them. When Rocky decided to help and suprisingly he did a good job. In the soft dirt he used his nose to cover the potatos up. I just wished I had a vidio of it. IT was something to watch.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:25 pm

That's a heck of a dog.
0 x

Chuckie
GURU
GURU

Postby Chuckie » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:05 am

I have a Jack Russell male that was abused when he was a puppy. The people would keep him in a pet carrier while they were at work; come home, let him outside for a few minutes, only long enough to let go of some water, then bring him back inside to run around inside the house. He then would do the rest of his business in the floor after getting some exercise. When he messed the floor up, they would kick him and throw him, and put him back in the pet carrier as punishment, and not let him back out. The son of the man that was being cruel to the puppy, was repeating the same treatment. He told me of how the puppy messed in the floor beside his bed and he picked him up and stepped outside of his bedroom door, and threw him like a ball as hard as he could. When I heard this, I was sickened, and I begged for the puppy. They finally gave him to me. For a very long time, he urinated every time I called his name. I had to let him come to me instead of calling him. It took a long time to get the beating trauma out of him. But he turned into a very loving intelligent dog. He still is not as strong of a dog as he could have been, but has flash backs sometimes if I call him and he thinks he has done something wrong. But he has a strong will... as a Jack Russell does, and will play hard. He hunts, and I have a female Jack Russell, and they are a good team.

I have never had a dog as intelligent as Rudy before. There is one thing he does that I have never seen a dog do before....
When he wants something, he shoves me with both of his front feet. If I don't respond to the first shove, he will continue to do it, hitting with both feet at the same time. Each time he repeats this, it intensifies. He begins to step back to get leverage. He makes his head bounce up and down like he is playing a piano, and his ears flop up and down. I feel like I am going to have "paw bruises," as he is hammering on me. :lol2: He continues shoving, then starts grabbing my clothes with his teeth as he shoves.....bouncing back and forth. It is so funny to watch. I will ask, "Rudy, what do you want?" Then he will take me to what he wants. He wants to go outside; something out of the pantry; or something out of the refrigerator. Sometimes he just wants to get in my lap and he will just get as close as he can and wants me to put my hand right behind his head so he can crawl up in my lap. He looks at me and barks silently, as if I am supposed to know what he is saying. It is a short silent bark, and he turns his head sideways, but cuts his eyes to look at me. I can figure out what he is talking about.
Chuckie
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Jogeephus wrote:When I first got married I bought a blood hound named Jessica. Got her a little young but she and I bonded well. She slept at the foot of my bed and had learned to let herself in and out of the house by using the door knobs. (she just never learned to shut the door behind her0 Anyway, this got to be second nature with us till my father died and we went home. Of course, I took Jess with me but she wasn't welcomed in the house and since my mother's house had different door handles Jessica couldn't let herself in. As you all know there are a lot of visitors who come to pay their respects so Jessica stayed outsided greeting everyone. When all this finally subsided - I was about to come out of my skin cause I don't like crowds - the doorbell rang and I got up to see who it might be. Looked out the window and no one was there. I sat down again. Door bell rang again. I got up and stormed to the front door and opened it and there sat Jessica. She had figured out how to open the door by watching all the visitors. All you need to do is push the button. After seeing that, my mom welcomed Jessica was welcomed into the house and Jess was the perfect lady.

The sad thing about Jess was I moved uptown and bought built a house in a nice neighborhood that required all pets to remain in pens or on a leash. I couldn't do this to Jessica so I gave her to one of my friend's children who loved her a lot. The first morning in the neighborhood I looked around and saw all these neighborhood dogs roaming the streets. I enquired to the neighborhood president about the policy and he agreed it was in the rules but that some attorney had written it up and everyone in the neighborhood loved dogs and they didn't abide by that rule. I was sick to my stomache for some time but I wasn't an indian giver.

Just lost my girl. She was a good dog. Sweetest animal that ever lived.

RIP Blondie

I really liked hearing these dog stories.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”