Dogs never cease to amaze me

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
hillbilly beef man
GURU
GURU

Re: Dogs never cease to amaze me

Postby hillbilly beef man » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:21 pm

muleskinner wrote:Thats for sure. My sons pet Mountain cur this spring surprised me and him. We were planting potatos and we had the rows dug and had droped the potatos and started to cover them. When Rocky decided to help and suprisingly he did a good job. In the soft dirt he used his nose to cover the potatos up. I just wished I had a vidio of it. IT was something to watch.

I took my min-schnauzer with me this year to plant potatoes. Now keep in mind this dog will eat ANYTHING. Potato peelings, apple cores, banana peels, you name it, she has eat it. My FIL was dropping and I was coming behind him covering. He was several rows ahead of me when I got to a row that was not dropped. I hollered at him that he had missed one, he said he did not. While we were arguing I saw my dog dart out from under the truck, grab a potato out of the row, and run back under the truck and eat it. She had eaten a whole row of seed potatoes! From then on she stayed in the truck till we got them covered.
0 x
Teaching a child to work and manage money will take them futher in life than any education that they could ever receive.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:17 pm

My Dad tells stories of a Lab that belonged to a guide in Canada that he use to go moose hunting with. They would leave beer on the north side of the cabin in the shade. You could tell Spike to go get a beer and he would bring one to you but never carry it by the neck. You could give him a piece of meat on a fork and he would take it outside, eat the meat, and bring the fork back to you. Joe would take him out fishing on the lake. Joe would sometimes fall asleep. If a fish bit while Joe was asleep Spike would bark at him to wake him.... got to have fish for dinner.
0 x

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:24 am

When I was a kid we had a small (15lb) dog...just a house dog. She was a great companion. Anyway, my Dad was grilling BBQ on the grill...which was about 3 feet off the ground. We went into the house for a few minutes and came back outside. The meat was gone!! I mean nothing left. We couldn't figure it out. I walked around to the side of the house and the dog was laying in the grass with BBQ sauce all over her face! Now..the question we have always had was how in the heck did this little dog get the meat off the grill without burning herself??? My Dad and I still ponder this frequently...and laugh about it. At the time we were a little upset...but more amazed that this little dog had figured out how to steal meat off of a burning hot grill that towered 3 feet above her head...with nothing around for her to stand on. I guess there are some things I will never figure out :)
0 x

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:45 am

Chuckie wrote:I have a Jack Russell male that was abused when he was a puppy. The people would keep him in a pet carrier while they were at work; come home, let him outside for a few minutes, only long enough to let go of some water, then bring him back inside to run around inside the house. He then would do the rest of his business in the floor after getting some exercise. When he messed the floor up, they would kick him and throw him, and put him back in the pet carrier as punishment, and not let him back out. The son of the man that was being cruel to the puppy, was repeating the same treatment. He told me of how the puppy messed in the floor beside his bed and he picked him up and stepped outside of his bedroom door, and threw him like a ball as hard as he could. When I heard this, I was sickened, and I begged for the puppy. They finally gave him to me. For a very long time, he urinated every time I called his name. I had to let him come to me instead of calling him. It took a long time to get the beating trauma out of him. But he turned into a very loving intelligent dog. He still is not as strong of a dog as he could have been, but has flash backs sometimes if I call him and he thinks he has done something wrong. But he has a strong will... as a Jack Russell does, and will play hard. He hunts, and I have a female Jack Russell, and they are a good team.

I have never had a dog as intelligent as Rudy before. There is one thing he does that I have never seen a dog do before....
When he wants something, he shoves me with both of his front feet. If I don't respond to the first shove, he will continue to do it, hitting with both feet at the same time. Each time he repeats this, it intensifies. He begins to step back to get leverage. He makes his head bounce up and down like he is playing a piano, and his ears flop up and down. I feel like I am going to have "paw bruises," as he is hammering on me. :lol2: He continues shoving, then starts grabbing my clothes with his teeth as he shoves.....bouncing back and forth. It is so funny to watch. I will ask, "Rudy, what do you want?" Then he will take me to what he wants. He wants to go outside; something out of the pantry; or something out of the refrigerator. Sometimes he just wants to get in my lap and he will just get as close as he can and wants me to put my hand right behind his head so he can crawl up in my lap. He looks at me and barks silently, as if I am supposed to know what he is saying. It is a short silent bark, and he turns his head sideways, but cuts his eyes to look at me. I can figure out what he is talking about.
Chuckie

The Russell's are my favorite breed super intelligent. They are quirky little dogs and are not for everyone.
It takes special place in your heart to own the little dog's.
I have owned quite a few in my life and all were smart and entertaining.
There is no breed more loyal to their owner. I lost Ole Rube over a year ago and I miss here every day.
0 x
I am the NRA
Brimmer Pimp

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”