Black Mouth Cur?

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Black Mouth Cur?

Postby Black and Good » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:49 am

Hey everyone,Does anyone have or know much about this breed of dog? I was thinking of getting one, I was wanting to make it an Antler dog as well as a bloodtracking dog (Bow shot deer). And possible hunt some Squirrel? I've been told they are the most versitle dog breed there is?? My cows are so gentle I can't see me using it for herding at all. B&G :tiphat:
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

Limomike
GURU
GURU

Re: Black Mouth Cur?

Postby Limomike » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:06 am

My father-in-law used to have one, and it was a super strong, aggressive, yet obedient to him. great to hunt with.
Here is some info on that breed : http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/blackmouthcur.htm
0 x
** All good things take time ***

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:09 am

we've had alot of these dogs over the years. very loyal and gritty. they will catch anything that runs from them. we used them for yard dogs and to catch cows and hogs. I don't know if you could get one to herd or not. they make great trackers(deer) and have seen them catch a wounded deer and kill it. they are great dogs and I would have one now but we have a couple of yard/barn cats and they DO NOT PLAY WELL TOGETHER.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:12 am

M5farm wrote:we've had alot of these dogs over the years. very loyal and gritty. they will catch anything that runs from them. we used them for yard dogs and to catch cows and hogs. I don't know if you could get one to herd or not. they make great trackers(deer) and have seen them catch a wounded deer and kill it. they are great dogs and I would have one now but we have a couple of yard/barn cats and they DO NOT PLAY WELL TOGETHER.

Do you think I would have any luck getting one to find shed deer antlers? Or,would i be better of with a Lab or something?
0 x
WARNING! These Cattle get in your blood. Hope you have credit or a thick checkbook! LOL

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:39 am

no i don't think it would be a problem finding them. the problem would be getting it back from them before the ate it. they will eat anything.
0 x

rla442
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby rla442 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:33 am

Not sure about the Black Mouth Cur, but I squirrel and coon hunted with Mountain Curs for years. Once you hunt behind a cur dog you wont go back to a hound. They are smart and quick learners, not hard headed like a hound. My curs would hunt squirrel during the day and coon at night. The only thing I found with most Curs is that they dont bark on the track. Only at the tree.
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:30 am

rla442 wrote:Not sure about the Black Mouth Cur, but I squirrel and coon hunted with Mountain Curs for years. Once you hunt behind a cur dog you wont go back to a hound. They are smart and quick learners, not hard headed like a hound. My curs would hunt squirrel during the day and coon at night. The only thing I found with most Curs is that they dont bark on the track. Only at the tree.

In your opinion do think I can teach one to find Shed antlers?
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 am

B&G any kind of trail dog can be taught to find sheds imo. cur's are good dogs
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:47 am

M5farm wrote:B&G any kind of trail dog can be taught to find sheds imo. cur's are good dogs

I think I've decided to give one a try. Do you prefer Male or female? The litter I'm looking at their are eight,7 females,1 male. I was finda wanting a male. :roll:
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:53 am

personal preference- I myself prefer gyps. they are a little smaller, better tempered, and don't pisz on everything and my experence the gyps bond better with male handlers
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:07 am

Ok,M5 Thanks for all your help. Does it matter if you get them syayed or not?
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:09 am

only if you don't mind the neigborhood males hanging around for a week or so.
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks again. I guess, I'll just wait till I see them and make up my mind.
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Postby M5farm » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:19 am

tell the owner not too feed them tell you get there to pick one out. use a couple of alum pie pans an put the food in it. it will slide around on the floor the smartest one will use his paw to hold the pan and eat. I've seen it done by an oldtimer years ago. He was always wanting the most aggressive puppy so its all a matter of preference.
0 x

Black and Good
GURU
GURU

Postby Black and Good » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:22 am

Thanks good advise!
0 x

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”