Best preventative for ticks on mature dogs??

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Best preventative for ticks on mature dogs??

Postby greybeard » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:24 pm

This year, has seen very few ticks on my dogs--until 2 weeks ago. Anytime they get away from the house now, out into the woods, they return loaded.
I've tried the usual stuff from the vet to no avail.

I cannot tie them or lock them into the yard--they are our security and livestock watch in the pasture. (I don't believe in tying up dogs anyway)
Anyone got any suggestions?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Re: Best preventative for ticks on mature dogs??

Postby sim.-ang.king » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:06 pm

Ivromec pill or shot once a month works better those topical type.
0 x
Red Bull Breeder wrote:So Queenie works ok now?

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:45 pm

We've used frontline and it works well but only for 3 weeks, then it needs applying again.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:51 pm

We use Advantage Multi on our dogs and have been satisfied. It takes care of heart worms, fleas and ticks.
0 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

wbvs58
GURU
GURU

Postby wbvs58 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:57 pm

I don't know if you have it there or is under another name but I have had most success with Proban tablets daily especially for the paralysis ticks we have here where one tick can kill a dog if it is not found. The Proban prevents the seed tick from attaching and injecting the toxin into the dog.
Ken
0 x

MistyMorning
GURU
GURU

Postby MistyMorning » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:55 pm

greybeard wrote:This year, has seen very few ticks on my dogs--until 2 weeks ago. Anytime they get away from the house now, out into the woods, they return loaded.

I cannot tie them or lock them into the yard--they are our security and livestock watch in the pasture. (I don't believe in tying up dogs anyway)

What kind of tick?

http://www.dogsandticks.com/ticks/

Maybe try this site, will probably narrow down the options for treatments.
0 x
I have long known it was part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth... ~ Bill Bryson

aprille218
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby aprille218 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:06 pm

I double up on the tick preventatives for my dogs. I use the generic Frontline Plus (fipronil) and Preventic collars. The fipronil needs reapplying every month but the Preventic collars last all tick season up here (April-mid Nov).
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:39 pm

greybeard wrote:This year, has seen very few ticks on my dogs--until 2 weeks ago. Anytime they get away from the house now, out into the woods, they return loaded.

My dad use to keep a barrel of cattle spray mixed all the time. About one a week he would drop the dog in there and let him swim for about a minute. No idea what it was.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Dogs and Cows
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Dogs and Cows » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:38 am

Greybeard...on our coon and bear dogs here in NC a lot of guys use a cattle tag cut in half and attached to the dogs collar. I have never personally done it...but they swear by it. Maybe you could try that. Good luck...I hate fleas and ticks on dogs!
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:59 pm

GB some friends who all coon hunt over in East Texas all used Ivomec Pour=On but gave it by mouth. I have no idea what the dosage was tho...I'm sure it was pretty small tho. Another fella I know put the Ivomec on thier back and the dog ended up dieing.
0 x
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:15 pm

TexasBred wrote:GB some friends who all coon hunt over in East Texas all used Ivomec Pour=On but gave it by mouth. I have no idea what the dosage was tho...I'm sure it was pretty small tho. Another fella I know put the Ivomec on thier back and the dog ended up dieing.

Ivomec will kill border collies and some of the breeds closely related to them. I lost a mcnab a few years ago a week or so after we hit the cows with pour on and that's what I suspect happened to him but I'm really careful with the dogs that I know to have collie in them. I also know of a breeder that lost a few dogs after they chewed up a box of the horse paste wormer with ivomec in it.
My catahoulas and the mutts have all been intentionally hit with pour on and they're pest free and doing fine. :nod:
0 x

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:20 pm

TexasBred wrote:

GB some friends who all coon hunt over in East Texas all used Ivomec Pour=On but gave it by mouth. I have no idea what the dosage was tho...I'm sure it was pretty small tho. Another fella I know put the Ivomec on thier back and the dog ended up dieing.

Oral ivermectin is fairly common for heart worms although some herding dog breeds have a mutated gene that can kill them if the ivermectin dosage is too high, (I think Heartguard is ivermectin but has the right dosage)
I'm 99% sure that it does do anything for external parasites if given orally and certainly wouldn't last an entire month.
0 x
She said you're ramblin' man
You ain't ever gonna change
You got a gypsy soul to blame
And you were born for leavin'

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:24 pm

cross_7 wrote:I'm 99% sure that it does do anything for external parasites if given orally and certainly wouldn't last an entire month.

I have no idea as I've never used so can only quote them and they swore by it.
0 x

cross_7
GURU
GURU

Postby cross_7 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:25 pm

cow pollinater wrote:
TexasBred wrote:GB some friends who all coon hunt over in East Texas all used Ivomec Pour=On but gave it by mouth. I have no idea what the dosage was tho...I'm sure it was pretty small tho. Another fella I know put the Ivomec on thier back and the dog ended up dieing.

Ivomec will kill border collies and some of the breeds closely related to them. I lost a mcnab a few years ago a week or so after we hit the cows with pour on and that's what I suspect happened to him but I'm really careful with the dogs that I know to have collie in them. I also know of a breeder that lost a few dogs after they chewed up a box of the horse paste wormer with ivomec in it.
My catahoulas and the mutts have all been intentionally hit with pour on and they're pest free and doing fine. :nod:

I know a breeder that uses ivermectin and has never had a problem but they have always used it on pups and they may have eliminated the mutated gene from there line by killing the ones that carried it and didn't realize at the time that was the cause of death.
0 x
She said you're ramblin' man
You ain't ever gonna change
You got a gypsy soul to blame
And you were born for leavin'

Commercialfarmer
GURU
GURU

Postby Commercialfarmer » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:02 am

I've used ivermectin to treat my dogs. It is cheap, unless you over do it and then it can easily be deadly. Remember, you're talking 1000 lb animals down to around 50 lbs and difference in sensitivities.

If you read, the accepted heart worm prevention dose is 6 micrograms per kilogram from several sources. 50 lb dog is 22.6 kilograms. 22.6 * 6 mcg= 136 mcg

paste is 1.8% or 18 miligram or 18000 micrograms per cc. So you can see it would only take a fraction for heartworms (0.0075 cc) and would be easy to give an excessive amount to a dog that isn't extra sensitive.

The 1% injection is 10 mg or 10,000 micrograms per cc, so the dose would be 0.014 cc's. Those are very small volumes that need to be measured.

There are variables, but I believe many liquids are estimated to have about 20 drops per 1 cc, or .05 cc per drop. So even 1 drop would be about 3 times more than necessary, at least for that dose calculated. Decrease the size of the dog and it is even more.
0 x
X

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”