Electric fence?

Ideas, questions and pictures of your friends.
saltbranch
Rancher
Rancher

Electric fence?

Postby saltbranch » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:26 pm

I have a Catahoula that recently started digging out of the yard here in town. I did landscape using rock beds against the fence about 3' wide about 4 yrs ago and that stopped the digging when he was a puppy. Recently the city ran new water lines to our homes, mine came under the fence(rock landscape) and into the back yard. After seeing this, my Catahoula figured out that digging through the rock is really not that hard. I am thinking electric fence? I have never messed with one but my first inclination is to go with one designed for cattle fencing vs. the pet fence. I want one that will knock is spots off and grab his attention! I have less than 200' of privacy wood fence to run the wire around. How many wires, spacing, size of AC energizer???
I take him walking at night for exercise and on weekends we go to our property where he is free to run. When he gets out here in town, he runs around the neighborhood. As big as he is, someone will freak out before to long.
0 x

M5farm
GURU
GURU

Re: Electric fence?

Postby M5farm » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:01 pm

If you have the fence already I would look at the shock collar type fence system. I have seen one that has a base station that you plug in and it covers a certain radius . You might be able to get one that fits your yard. Jeffers carries them.
0 x
Move along, nothing to see here.

Ouachita
GURU
GURU

Postby Ouachita » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:23 pm

There may be some here critical of the method I used. I had a problem with a dog getting in, not out. My wife's garden is really precious to her ( and for same reason, me too :). I had a good fence, but he would dig under. I don't know what possessed him to want in the garden so bad, except he liked to bed down in the dirt.
Well, I ran a single hot wire about 10 inches of the ground. It didn't seem to bother him to much until I wrapped a piece a bacon around it.
0 x
If a really diligent man puts all of his energy into the exclusive effort, a molehill can be made into a mountain

Don McCallum
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Don McCallum » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:49 pm

Run 1 wire about 6" from the fence and 4" off the ground. I have seen this setup take care of many dogs. You will not need a very strong energizer.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:14 am

Ouachita... I'd do it.. I've put apples and carrots on electric fences to teach the cows.

Since dogs are supposedly smarter than cows, you oughtn't need as strong a fencer... but why risk it :P

There is electric sheep fencing "Flexinet" I believe it's called, that's like electric paige wire.. works good and has built in posts.. don't know what the cost of it is, we've had a length of it for so long but never use it
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

cowpunk'd
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby cowpunk'd » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:01 pm

Being he's a Catahoula you'll probably get away with using an energizer meant for cattle but just so you know that would ruin many less hard-headed dogs. By ruin I mean a soft dog will be afraid to leave the house and be unable to do any work in the yard possibly for life depending on the dog and how powerful your fencer is.
0 x

highgrit
GURU
GURU

Postby highgrit » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:22 pm

:bs: I have a new puppy and he would not stay in the yard. So we hooked the fence up, it only puts out 10 - 12k volts. Needless to say he's cured, took him 2 times though. Now he sits and looks at the deer and turkeys. One wire 6" off the ground is all you need. Never tried the bacon deal. And a 3" high wire around the garden will keep rabbits out and it's even killed a few.
0 x
" not all muslims are terrorist, but all the terrorist were muslim "

Return to “Dogs, Cats and Other Pets”